PDA

View Full Version : Plane missing near Northam WA

aerodude
29th Mar 2010, 00:33
Search for missing plane underway
LISA CALAUTTI, The West Australian March 29, 2010, 7:39 am

A search for two missing pilots on a joy flight aboard a twin engine Comanche light aircraft has resumed this morning.
Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokeswoman Tracey Jiggins said two fixed wing aircraft and police helicopters are searching a 100 square nautical mile area north and east of Northam.
The pilots, believed to be aged in their 40s and 60s, failed to arrive back at Jandakot Airport yesterday afternoon as expected.
"They told somebody at the airport they were going out to a property near Northam," Ms Jiggins said.
The plane was privately owned by one of the men.Does anyone have any more info? I can only think of two twin comanches at Jandakot one being JFC's and the other belonging to missionary air support. I hope its neither :(

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Mar 2010, 01:42
ABC Radio in Perth reporting this morning at 9.20am, that wreckage has been found 23km E of Mundaring, two on board, unfortunately, neither survived.....

As I type - on ABC radio:
Helicopter above site reporting that the aircraft has struck 'a bunch of trees' only 100m short of an open paddock...as if they were attempting forced landing in the paddock...wreckage 'wide spread' is being reported...

There is a ground party, and further details to be advised...

Yesterday in Perth it was a 'perfect day' - 8/8 blue, and a 'very nice' day....

Sad day for those affected...

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Mar 2010, 03:56
Further to the above....

From radio 6PR Perth,
Apparently the search area was 'narrowed down' after referencing the ATC RADAR tapes.
The investigation of the crash has now been handed over to the WA Police, ground party on scene.

From the 6PR report, a local resident has since told Police that he heard an aircraft...engine spluttering noises... at around 11am yesterday, but did not report it...

WA Police will now be the source of any further info.

VH-XXX
29th Mar 2010, 05:02
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/03/29/1225846/961466-light-plane-crashes-at-mundaring.jpg

Didn't have much of a chance by the look of this.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/03/29/1225846/961466-light-plane-crashes-at-mundaring.jpg

le Pingouin
29th Mar 2010, 08:20
No plan or flight note...Beat me to it. They apparently had a conversation with the refueller who recalled the aircraft & where they said they were going. This was only found out after the aircraft he was a pax on was contacted via HF.

Hasherucf
29th Mar 2010, 08:50
Rumour was that the Dornier broke down trying to find it. Is that true ? As Mundaring is about 5 minutes flight out of Perth

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Mar 2010, 09:22
Names released.

Further details on 'perthnow.com.au' for those who wish to follow.

Out of respect for the families, I won't say more here.

Regards.

YPJT
29th Mar 2010, 10:09
I knew one of the guys really well, he was a guest at my wedding. RIP mate.

Green gorilla
29th Mar 2010, 10:32
Is not true re Dornier.