PDA

View Full Version : royal navy pilot

sebacann
28th Mar 2010, 12:22
hello,

I am about to go for my pre selection interview at the AFCO for my Fleet Air Arm application, for which I have already undertaken a great deal of study, however I am stuck with some aspects of research.

Could anybody tell me what the expected career progression would be for a naval pilot, in terms of years of service and rank? I cannot find this information anywhere on the web or in the given reading material.

any additional information on pontential hidden interview quirks would also be greatly appreciated.

thankyou

Tourist
28th Mar 2010, 12:39
No simple answer to that question.
If you are career driven, willing to jump through hoops and not that fussed about being in the cockpit, then Lt Cdr after 10 - 12yrs. If you are cockpit only, then Lt forever. If one day you grow up and decide as most do that you really should think about promotion now that you are bit bored on your 4th tour then you will probably make Lt Cdr about 14 - 15 - 16 yr point.

tarantonight
28th Mar 2010, 15:11
Best of British to you. My old man was an FAA fast jet man (leaving long before you were born!!) and loved every minute of it, finishing as a Lt.

As I understand it, the higher you get, the less flying you do. Simple as that I think.

TN.:D

david parry
28th Mar 2010, 15:21
The best FAA Pilot was my Snotty:ok: Boy did i admire him, when strapping him in to his Bucc, must have been all of nineteen yrs old !!!!

airborne_artist
28th Mar 2010, 15:46
Boy did i admire him, when strapping him in to his Bucc, must have been all of nineteen yrs old !!!!

There were a few SL shags who were carrier deck qual'd before they 20!

pre selection interview at the AFCO for my Fleet Air Arm application

You may well be disappointed at the level and number of Qs. It's not AIB. They want to make sure that you can walk, talk, hold a pen, wear suitable clothes and shave. It won't be like University Challenge.