PDA

View Full Version : 1975 C5-A USAF Galaxy crash at Saigon with 155 fatalities.

Centaurus
28th Mar 2010, 11:48
From Google source>
C-5 Galaxy 68-0218 was the initial mission of Operation Babylift to bring Vietnamese orphans to the US in the few remaining days before the Republic of Vietnam fell. The C-5 departed Saigon-Tan Son Nhut Airport at 16:03. Twelve minutes after takeoff, after climbing through FL230, there was what seemed to be an explosion as the lower rear fuselage was torn apart. The locks of the rear loading ramp had failed, causing the door to open and separate. A rapid decompression occurred. Control and trim cables to the rudder and elevators were severed, leaving only one aileron and wing spoilers operating. Two of the four hydraulic systems were out. The crew wrestled at the controls, managing to keep control of the plane with changes in power settings by using the one working aileron and wing spoilers.The crew descended to an altitude of 4,000 feet on a heading of 310 degrees in preparation for landing on Tan Son Nhut's runway 25L. About halfway through a turn to final approach, the rate of descent increased rapidly to 4,000 feet per minute. Seeing they couldn't make the runway, full power was applied to bring the nose up. At 50 feet, the throttles where retarded to idle and the C-5 touched down in a rice paddy. Skidding about 1,000 feet, the aircraft again became airborne for a half mile before hitting a dike and breaking into four parts. The cargo compartment was completely destroyed, killing 141 of the 149 orphans and attendants. Only three of 152 in the troop compartment perished. Five of the flight crew, three of the medical team, and three others lost their lives, but 175 of the 328 aboard survived.
............................................................ ......................................

This event was shown on TV Channel Seven this evening as part of the Air disaster series and the photos were disturbing footage.

According to the TV commentary, elevator control was lost after the decompression and the crew were forced to use differential thrust to control pitch. It is not the sort of emergency manoeuvre taught in the simulator and it was a miracle that anyone survived the crash landing. A similar event with a happier ending occurred in Bagdad during the conflict there. A missile knocked out the flight controls of an A310 (?) and the crew managed to pull of an all flaps up landing using engine power for pitch and roll control.

Having been fortunate enough in a simulator to have practiced several approach and landings all flaps up and left with only the engines as sole means of control, I can vouchsafe it is a worthwhile exercise in pure flying skill.

Cynics can sneer all they like saying the exercise is a waste of simulator priorities but rest assured the hire of the simulator came out of my pocket which left me poorer financially, but a great deal wiser and more confident after the event. It took several C-5A type crashes before I got the hang of it.
Next time you have a simulator session ask your instructor could he spare the time to demonstrate how it is done before handing over to you to try your luck. He might learn something about real no automatics piloting skill and so may you

Buster Hyman
29th Mar 2010, 01:30
It's a pity that Sim time & resources are so limited that scenarios like this cannot be explored. Just my 2c....

Centaurus
29th Mar 2010, 09:58
It's a pity that Sim time & resources are so limited that scenarios like this cannot be explored.

That's easy to fix. Just remove the superfluous holding patterns, real time climb, cruise and descents, lengthy radar vectors, pages of unnecessary check list reading, and more intelligent use of the freeze and re-position buttons (that is why they are installed for training).

Tempo
29th Mar 2010, 11:11
Totally agree. My last sim had a CASA requirement to do a VORDME from overhead the aid (i.e fly a reversal).Yes CASA...it is vital to safe operation that the crew are checked that they can monitor an autopilot fly outbound from a VOR. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

john_tullamarine
29th Mar 2010, 12:19
In days gone by such things tended to be examined on the line check ...

Gnadenburg
29th Mar 2010, 12:36
When I worked for a good airline ( Ansett ) you had as much free sim as you wanted. I will always be thankful for that. Some things are not perishable.

Other airlines I have since worked for seem concerned that such a practice would enable pilots to get ahead of the program. So standards become a bit of an industrial weapon. Strange I know. I will keep working on that theory.

PA39
30th Mar 2010, 06:04
I have a personal interest in what happened 35 yrs ago, and I don't care what BS the Yanks put up.....that aircraft was "doomed" long before take off.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Brian Abraham
31st Mar 2010, 01:37
PA39, commiserations on the impact the accident may have had upon your good self, but could you elaborate on the Yank BS and the aircraft being doomed. Thanks in advance.

tail wheel
31st Mar 2010, 11:53
Hardly relevent to Dunnunda Forum.

Try the History or SE Asia Forums.