PDA

View Full Version : RAAF C130 Advice?

Bennomate
28th Mar 2010, 02:31
Gday all,

I am new to this forum and apolgies if i have the wrong section.

Im after a bit of advice specific to the RAAF and in particular Herc related. I am in the selection process for the RAAF as a pilot currently and i am through to flight screening at Class 3M medical pending class 1 which im sure ill be all clear in.

I'm just curious as to what i can expect in terms of flying hours and time away if i fly Hercs. I was told during my defence interview with DFR it would be typically 9 months away per year, but I can't help but suspect thats a worse case scenario and him just checking to see if i was really dedicated. I said thats not a problem, and it isn't. I have a girlfreind at the moment studying at uni here and we have talked about the 1.5 years i will be training for and we are pretty serious and will go the time with a distance relationship. I really want to fly hercs, and it so happens that we both live near Richmond.

So i suppose what I am really asking is what will my time away from home be like after employent training (assuming that i fly hercs). It doesn't depend on weather or not i join, but more of what to realistically expect. Or atleast somwhere were i could find out this information because i don't trust defence recruting, nor do i want to jeopardise my application by them thinking im not 100% committed.

Cheers!

Charlie Luncher
28th Mar 2010, 03:10
Both ALG and SRG real aircrew are away from home on average 6-9months varies depending what is going on in the world. Some years are better than others depending on how the dice fall for you. Go non-operational fast jet and be home every night except for the odd exercise:E.
If the chick kicks up too much there is always the Four Floors:eek:
Charlie sends

Captain Sand Dune
28th Mar 2010, 03:12
9 months is a bit much, however they are away a lot. We are after all, at war.
However as I've said to others whom have posted similar queries; if you're concerned about how long you're going to be away from your girlie before you've even started pilot training, perhaps you need to carefully re-think your priorities.

herkman
28th Mar 2010, 08:19
Forty years ago at the height of the Vietnam war, I note that I was spending 6 tom 7 months away each year and was flying about 800 hours a year.

I doubt if it has changed very much the C130 boys are busy but I must say are enjoying it.

Regards

Col

Old Fella
28th Mar 2010, 10:09
Bennomate, pleasing to read you would like to fly Herc's but I would concentrate on getting into the RAAF first, then getting through training by which time your wishes may be granted if it all fits with the manning situation and your skill level. "Trash hauling" is rewarding but maybe not so glamorous as the fast pointy types. BTW, I am presuming you wish to be a pilot. As for time away, it varies greatly on operational requirements but as a generalisation, it is not helpful to family life. That said, it did take me 23 years to say "Enough is enough".

back end o' the bus
28th Mar 2010, 22:10
Hercs and P3s are pretty busy, where as C-17s not so much, with a week away every month or two, and the odd overnight occasionally.

Hope that helps, gd luck.:cool: