PDA

View Full Version : Starting the CPL at 25

benjaiiimin
28th Mar 2010, 01:24
Hi Everyone,
I have been looking at getting my CPL for a while now and went for a TFI yesterday, which I loved. I am 25, turning 26 in a few months time. If I were to commence my training straight away is it a realistic goal to gain employment with the airlines further down the line? If so, how quickly should I aim to complete the training?

I just thought I would ask as I know there are some age limitations with gaining employment within commercial airlines.

UncleNobby
28th Mar 2010, 02:48
No - that would be age discrimination!

Nine_Inch__Wings
28th Mar 2010, 03:53
My god, you are 25???? mate, you better start thinking about a funeral payment plan or something!! :P

You'll be fine.

And - how soon to finish training? well, there aren't so many jobs going around at the moment, so take your time and enjoy :)

benjaiiimin
28th Mar 2010, 05:21
Great, that's a relief. I just wanted to make sure before I spend the 60-70k.

The flight school I went to says in all their documentation that you should complete it in no longer than 12-14 months, but maybe they just like students to finish quickly.

Cheers :)

RR RB211
28th Mar 2010, 05:26
You'll be fine at 26. There's a few of us later starters out there.

Just get all the theory done before you head off to the first job wherever that may be. Very hard to study and sit exams if you're in a remote area. Not saying it can't be done - it's just more difficult, that's all.

Plenty of stuff on here about the hows and wheres etc. Do a search.

Also get a class one medical done so any potential issues can be dealt with before you shell out a serious amount of money for your new career.

Good luck and enjoy the process.:ok:

Luke SkyToddler
28th Mar 2010, 07:36
OMG not the dreaded 25??!!

For petes sake all this age-ism stuff is so last century, it probably mattered in the day of fully sponsored BA cadetships but nowadays, since virtually all airlines have turned their training department into another profit centre and you can't get a job anywhere on earth without buying a type rating, it doesn't matter a monkey's.

And for that matter, you "could" have still got onto the BA scheme at 25. Let me tell you a little secret - there's "too young" as well as "too old" in this business, the punters don't actually like to see a spotty 18 year old in the driver's seat and the failure rate of kids who go into it the day they leave school is actually much higher than people who have done university / gap year / couple of years working before they started.

FWIW I have a mate who started his PPL at 48 and he's happily driving a B737 at the age of 53 :ok:

benjaiiimin
28th Mar 2010, 08:18
Thanks Guys, that's really useful info that has cleared up the last of my doubts about training. I'm hoping to get stuck into it over the next couple of weeks :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
28th Mar 2010, 08:20
A bit young really, best wait 5-10 years until you've got a bit more personal experience and maturity to draw upon. Nobody really wants to see an airline pilot in their 20s - gives the pax no confidence at-all.:}

G

FANS
28th Mar 2010, 15:30
Whilst everyone is trying to help you, I think it's better to be honest.

You have no chance of becoming a professional pilot at 25. It's simply too late and you'll never pick it up at such a late stage in life.

For every person who does get a job over 25, there's thousands that never make it. You really have more chance of winning the lottery and therefore should give up now.

Trust that's been helpful.

NW2282
28th Mar 2010, 19:11
FANS...you're joking right??

A friend of mine joined BA at 35. Plenty of others like him too!

flyvirgin
28th Mar 2010, 20:06
Fans,
That is total bollox, grow up for god sake!!!

Keith.Williams.
28th Mar 2010, 20:20
Let's keep this in perspective people.

FANS is only 14.

BigGrecian
28th Mar 2010, 21:04
am 25, turning 26 in a few months

Your younger than the average CPL student at the majority of schools.

Your making a big deal out of nothing.

It will be an issue if you make it an issue, otherwise no problem.

benjaiiimin
29th Mar 2010, 02:50
FANS - Thanks for the pep talk. Maybe you should consider a career change to motivational speaking ;)

Everyone else - cheers. I am glad to hear this!

benjaiiimin
29th Mar 2010, 03:44
Its funny that the flight school I went for my TFI with claim that an airline wont hire you over the age of 30. I might start looking elsewhere.
Anyway, I have no intention of being a chief pilot - I would be more than happy just to fly for a job :ok:

Cirrus_Clouds
29th Mar 2010, 07:48
FANS - you get the award for the best *rap posted on here for a while! Most of the pilots I know got employed over 30yrs old and my old instructor started his PPL in his 40's and now is a captain with Flybe, so eat your words lol.

FANS
29th Mar 2010, 08:24
Said firmly tongue in cheek, as it's a ridiculous post that's been done to death and this guy's going to start in a couple of weeks anyway, so wouldn't have thought it would make any difference to his plans anyway whatever anyone said on here!

Well done NW.