PDA

View Full Version : Which UK schools for CPL/IR conversion? How much did it cost you?

lilpilot
27th Mar 2010, 20:38
I would like some help on deciding where to do CPL/IR conversions in the UK. Looked at Stapleford, BCFT, PAT, Airways Exeter, Tayflite. Any personal experience would help ie. timeframe, hours needed for completion, money spent. What's a realistic budget?

Luke SkyToddler
28th Mar 2010, 07:29
Can't comment on all the schools you listed there but I have some experience of Stapleford and can't really recommend either of them.

There's actually some really nice people at Stapleford but I can't recommend them (for the IR anyway) because the airspace around the Stansted / Essex area is just insane and there's nothing worse than paying to sit at the holding point for hours while you wait for an airway slot.

Flashheart II
28th Mar 2010, 20:03
Try Blackbushe Aviation at Blackbushe Airport.

paco
29th Mar 2010, 04:24
try also Bonus at Cranfield

Phil

TopGunGB
29th Mar 2010, 11:13
Can't recommend them highly enough. I really enjoyed my time there. The instructors are very experienced and will get the very best out of you. Their prices are very reasonable (exactly as shown on their website) and they don't expect payment until after your test to avoid adding stress to your training.

PM if you'd like any further info.

TG

kala87
29th Mar 2010, 17:12
I can only re-iterate Top Gun's post: Airways Flight Training at Exeter specialize in FAA/EASA IR conversions. Excellent instructors (mainly ex-airline, nice airport with ILS, easy access to the airways structure without all the hassles of south-east England airspace.

Rob's Dad
29th Mar 2010, 21:57
Yep, Airways every time. CPL was simple conversion, IR took about 22hrs to convert rather than 15 (weather and illness caused delays) but there were no hidden extras and I found them friendly, understanding and very knowledgeable. Can't recommend them enough!