PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma and medical

benyhone
24th Mar 2001, 18:39
I have had a malignant melanoma removed and am interested in the experiences of pilots and the attitude of the CAA towards pilots with this condition.

It is my understanding from my consultant that the possibility of this recurring again is the same as anyone else, not increased because I have had the condition.

The CAA seem to imply that if this occurs again, they will have doubts over issuing a class one medical, even though the condition in my experience is not immediatly debilatating.

Thankyou for your views.

LewTon
25th Mar 2001, 00:17
I suggest you get advice direct from the CAA medical department.The advice of consultants without specific aviation medicine expertise is often not appropriate, because their professional training relates to the diagnosis and treatment of disease, not its significance for an occupation. Many NHS consultants are too eager to act as the patients (pilot's) advocate, without having an understanding of the aviation issues.
Good luck, but do remember that in the case of professional pilots the public has a legitimate right to expect high physical standards of fitness and a NORMAL/ACCEPTABLE (not zero) risk of incapacitation.

caqtas air
26th Mar 2001, 17:06
I remember a QF Skipper had a nasty one removed, they put him in the Sim for a while until he recovered, he then went back flying, and finally retired still fit. Hope the same outcome for you. Good luck...

ravenx
30th Mar 2001, 03:27
and then of course you run the risk of developing more by being in the cockpit at altitude (apparently)

TR4A
10th May 2001, 08:38
I had melanoma removed from my back when I was 31. I was lucky, it was only 0.74mm thick, excellent prognosis. The FAA had no problem with it because it was caught early. It made a difference in jobs. Most US majors were giving the astronaut physicals at the time (1989). I was able to get a job with Pan Am and was there when they shut the doors in 1991. I a year later I was wooking for another major. It has been over 12 years with no problem. I see a dermatologist every six months for any new melanomas.