PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Pilot Career

Amigo10
25th Mar 2010, 15:18
Hello all, hope every one is doing good and thanks to all the members for their posts..really good work.

I would like to know what the best ways for someone to start a career in aviation. I know in the middle east, UAE to be specific, there's a few aviation schools like horizon, alpha etc.. but these are probably not the best to start with, I would like some of the experts to give some tips about how one can start his/her career in aviation being a pilot and which airlines might want to sponsor you.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Wizofoz
25th Mar 2010, 17:24
Amigo,

What is your Nationality?

With very few exceptions, what sponsorships are available are limited to citizens of the countries of origin of some airlines.

There are MANY countries for which there are NO sponsorships available at all, and people from those countries have no option but to pay their own way through training.

Amigo10
25th Mar 2010, 18:31
UAE national and 0 flight experience...I would also be interested in knowing what degree's some of you pilots have..did you go to college and get a bacholer's degree first then begin aviation?..thanks

OMDB-PiLoT
25th Mar 2010, 20:10
An honest advice - a career in Aviation is a bad choice in today's economy, unless you get sponsored as a cadet by an airline. Seriously, if you are going to spend yours or your parents' hard earned money in flying, then you'll be looking at a BIG figure and no guarantees of any returns whatsoever!

huncowboy
25th Mar 2010, 23:01
Being a UAE national, I think he is at a much better position than most of us.

There are cadet programs. EY has one. I would start by talking to them first and try to hook up with someone who went through that program. Unfortunately I have no further info about it.

I think there is a wannabe section of the website perhaps with more info.

Wannabes Forums - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/wannabes-forums-102/)

sam8808
26th Mar 2010, 08:23
I agree with huncowboy. Being a UAE national, your best chances are the airlines based in UAE. Emirates, Etihad, Air Arabia or the like are very likely to take you as a cadet pilot and train you up. Its probably best if you contact them to get more info on that.

I too am in Dubai and I'm a frozen ATPL holder. But nobody is hiring me here because I'm not a national and I have just 250 hours TT under my belt. Apparently its influence that works in this part of the world :ugh:

Good luck to you :ok: