PDA

View Full Version : Beechcraft 2000 Starship 1

Jimmiddleton
25th Mar 2010, 00:22
Currently studying the Beechcraft 2000 Starship 1 and having a hard time finding an aircraft operating manual online...
Just wondering if any of you had a AOM for the starship digitally handy, or a link that could be posted to me?
all help appreciated.
cheers

Graybeard
25th Mar 2010, 04:20
That might be a tall order. There is just one left. It goes over my head now and again, on approach to KLGB. The distinctive sound of the pushers gets my attention. That was apparently the only one that was owned and not leased from Beech.

I saw the rest of the 50 or so parked at Marana, KMZJ, a few years ago, just before they were destroyed. I couldn't take pix, as that was not allowed anywhere on the field.

GB

bbrunton
25th Mar 2010, 04:33
The manual is at:

http://www.bobscherer.com/Files/Starship/Flight%20Deck%20Publications/Starship%20Airplane%20Flight%20Manual.pdf

There are 6 complete Starships... Five are flying.

There are 5 or more that are complete except for engines and could be made flyable.

For more information about Starship, and the fleet:

Raytheon Beechcraft Starship 2000 2000A (http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship.htm)

Bill

MAN777
25th Mar 2010, 04:51
Marana from google from a few years ago shows 18 of them awaiting there fate

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Marana+Airpark,+Red+Rock,+Pinal,+Arizona+85245&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.371738,92.724609&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FTET8AEdbGNd-Q&split=0&hq=&hnear=Marana+Airpark,+Red+Rock,+Pinal,+Arizona+85245&ll=32.513005,-111.321743&spn=0.002565,0.005659&t=h&z=18

fire wall
25th Mar 2010, 06:10
a question never answered, why did this beautiful aircraft not succeed ?
Every beech I flew was a dream to fly

dixi188
25th Mar 2010, 10:03
Don't know the full reasons for this Nice looking Beech to fail, but weight growth was one of them.
I believe it started life to be a B200 replacement at 12500 lbs max weight with PT6A-45s. Single crew and faster for the same costs.
During development the weight grew to 15900 lbs and -67A engines were fitted to improve performance.
Delays in production caused Beech to offer a King-Air 300 for 18 months with a full refund against a Starship purchase. I don't know how many got their Starships, but production delays were much more than 18 months.
I had a look round a demonstrator on its way to Paris airshow in about 1987.
Certain things seemed to be not that well thought out. Baggage had to be taken in the door at the front and then through the passenger cabin, then through the toilet to the baggage hold. I would imagine damage to seats and trim would be quite common. I guess an external hold door would have caused more structural problems.
Nice looking machine but you could have a Citation for the same money.

SOPS
25th Mar 2010, 10:10
I have to ask, why were they destroyed?

rigpiggy
25th Mar 2010, 13:08
Most likely liability reasons, to carry the insurance for just 50 planes wasn't cost effective. I understand the remainders have all recieved letters from beech that they are on there own AFA spares support. Run em out, and then donate to museum, or tech school for the tax advantage

PLovett
25th Mar 2010, 23:04
I recall reading somewhere that the problem was that there was no fatigue or ageing information on composite construction and the FAA demanded a much higher build standard than for comparable alloy aircraft. This had the effect of increasing the gross weight of the aircraft and its subsequent failure to meet performance targets.

I believe the decision by Beech to recall what airframes they could and to scrap them was to avoid liability issues. I also thought they had scrapped the type certificate so it surprises me that there are still 5 of them flying.

ZK-WDR
25th Mar 2010, 23:42
A couple still to be seen in this bing maps pic

Bing Maps (http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/rbgc5vfggxjy4mzv)

Graybeard
26th Mar 2010, 04:47
Those two are in a different location on the field than the seemingly 40+ I saw a few years ago, all fenced in like cattle waiting to be slaughtered. That prior area is now empty.

Evergreen, that owns Marana, has one at their museum in KMMV, McMinnville, Oregon. I forgot about it, although I took pix of it there two years ago.

GB

jhurditch
26th Mar 2010, 11:14
Jimmiddleton,

I believe Morphs like the A/C

Jimmiddleton
26th Mar 2010, 11:55
cheers bill your a legend i looked everywhere and could not find it.

Are all of the 5 flying currently in the united states or elsewhere?
im based in australia and just wanted to see if there were any round as well?

youve been a great help bill,
thanks a bunch

bbrunton
26th Mar 2010, 16:03
Hey Butch,

All the 5 flying examples are in the US.

There is one in your back yard at Queensland Institute for Aviation Engineering in Caloundra, Queensland. Go look for it. I have no idea what state of asembly it might be in.

I have 1000 hours in Starships if you have any questions.

Bill

Capt Chambo
26th Mar 2010, 20:33
There is one in your back yard at Queensland Institute for Aviation Engineering in Caloundra, Queensland. Go look for it. I have no idea what state of asembly it might be in.

I went to see it recently. It is parked outside minus engines. Couldn't find anyone who would let me crawl all over it so just looked from afar! :8

Jimmiddleton
27th Mar 2010, 00:23
that could be a quite a hike for me but ill be sure to remember it.

also ive been asked to at- how close coupled the aircraft is?
does this refer to its wing span over body length? or am i on the wrong path?

bbrunton
27th Mar 2010, 01:46
also ive been asked to at- how close coupled the aircraft is?
does this refer to its wing span over body length? or am i on the wrong path?

The airplane is very stable. I have hand flown for a long period when the autopilot quit at FL350 and It was not difficult.

Short coupled - you are on the right track, and no it is not.

Bill

B2N2
28th Mar 2010, 15:07
Thanks a lot for the PDF Bill.
Always felt it was the most beautiful turbo prop aircraft out there, The Piaggio Avanti being a very distant second.
Wish I would have the chance to fly one.
Have only seen them up close twice, both times in Florida, you by any chance?