PDA

View Full Version : Now this is going to sound like a silly question

gdb1973
3rd May 2001, 03:17
How can I find out if my eyesight is up to Commercial aviation standards in the UK? I got my optician to look at the figures about this time last year and he could not see a problem (but said that he didn't understand much of the requirements).

The thing is I wear glasses and in the past I had an eye infection that lead to slight damage to my left retina. My vision is absolutely fine if I don't go looking for the defect using a grid pattern or something, but then I have no frame of reference to judge what vision SHOULD be like. I didn't realise I had a problem at all until I was 14 and could not read the blackboard at school any more. I wear spex now, after many years of Contact Lenses (awful things!)

Is there a "Rule of thumb" like the distance you need to be able to read a car number plate at that might give me some clue to whether it is worth spending hundreds on a JAR eye test?

The other thing that puzzles me is Cat 1,2,3 etc. Are the requirements for a CPL less than an ATPL? What about Rotary licence vision requirements?

Thanks in advance! I've been convinced by this site to give it a go and join the party. But can I get past the first base?

Mark 1
3rd May 2001, 16:23
For your first question, I'd suggest sending an opticians report to the CAA with a letter explaining your question. They are generally very helpful.

There are only 2 classes of aircrew medical under JAR; class 1 for professional pilots and Class 2 for non-professional.

The old UK 3 tier system now only applies to ATCOs, balloonatics and a few odd cases not covered by JARs. All the requirements are on the JAA website.

gdb1973
3rd May 2001, 23:51
Ah, right. That's cleared a lot of that up! Thanks very much!

Do you happen to have the address of the Jaa website?

Horsepower
4th May 2001, 15:34
www.jaa.nl (http://www.jaa.nl)

Stop Stop Stop
21st May 2001, 01:07
Several opticians (I think Vision Express are one high street chain) are familiar with the eye examination required by the CAA for the 'detailed examination' as required for the JAA medical. Several AME's are not capable of doing this test since they need a piece of equipment called a 'slit lamp' which is very expensive.

Find out if the optician has a pad of CAA medical forms (or ask your AME or Aviation House) and take it along for the eye exam.

Expect a pretty detailed examination including retinal inspection and glaucoma testing.

The optician will be able to assess whether the results will be sufficient for class 1 purposes. I hope this helps.

gdb1973
21st May 2001, 02:03
Ah, that sounds very interesting......

Incidentaly. My girlfriend didn't half throw a wobbly when I mentioned this "plan" to her. She want's me to keep working in IT.

Thats women for you.