PDA

View Full Version : Advice on training

BA 77
24th Mar 2010, 20:35
Hi all,

I've been looking at the different options for flight training to get my ATPL and was wondering if getting a PPL before going on to the ATPL course would be a good idea. I can't seem to find anything which tells me if you have to pay for the PPL prior to the ATPL course anyway which would make getting my PPL now make financial sense.

Thanks in advance,
BA 77.

fabbe92
24th Mar 2010, 20:44
Iīm not quite sure how it works but I think you are required to take the PPL before you start with your ATPL. Maybe you can do it at the same time but I guess you should have the PPL knowledge before you go up to the heavier material. I guess itīs the same for Modular and Integrated. But surely, thereīs someone here that knows for sure.

Good luck!

BA 77
24th Mar 2010, 20:53
Thanks for the quick reply, that really helps!

I e-mailed CTC Wings about this about a month ago but got no reply but if your required to have the PPL before the full ATPL Course then I suppose I may as well get the PPL now.

If anyone knows anymore then that would be great but thanks a again for the quick response,

BA 77.

Whirlygig
24th Mar 2010, 21:00
Briefly ... there are two paths to get a "frozen" ATPL; integrated and modular. They are not the same.

With an integrated course, you never get a PPL - you go straight to CPL. Therefore, getting a PPL before hand would be a waste.

The modular course involves PPL, hour building and ATPL theory exams, CPL and so on.

Cheers

Whirls

TheOne83
25th Mar 2010, 10:54
Simply saying if you join an Integrated ATPL course you will "normaly" not requiere a PPL, i say normaly because i don't know of any schools that do so or during my flight time heard of anyone that mentioned the need to do have one before joining. What they do requiere like for instance Oxford, FTE etc. is that you pass their admissions tests, which will test you to see if you have the capability on maths, physics, interview etc.

Now a Modular ATPL training, since it involves a lot more of self study than attending to class on an Integrated it would requiere you a PPL before start. Normaly no admission tests, simply the license and the medical, then off you go.

Most of the people today do a Modular course because of the price difference.

Hope it helps and good luck! :ok: