PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical (Eyesight)

Rohan
20th Jun 2001, 01:27
Hi everyone! Another question from me if anyone can help! Before making any drastic decisions I ought to establish whether i can pass the Class 1 Medical. I had excimer laser treatment on both eyes about 6 years ago (I was short sighted but now I can see again). Is this accepted in the Class 1 Medical? This is the only bit that worries me about the medical but before paying £400.00 or whatever it is I ought to believe I stand a good chance of passing it! Thanks in advance. Steve.

GAF4139
20th Jun 2001, 02:13
My advice: Contact the Medical Division of the CAA in Gatwick and ask them. They are the only ones who can give you a definite answer since they are going to examin you for your initial Class 1 Medical and decide whether you can get one. Their tel. no is 01293 573700 (Call Centre) or 01293 567171 (Switchboard)

GAF4139

WGW
20th Jun 2001, 03:01
I understand the CAA are still a bit funny when it comes to laser eye treatment (BA expressly disallow it, at least for the CEP scheme), but opinions are changing as confidence rises in the success of the treatment. In the next year or two I'm sure it will be no problem. I guess no-one can be 100% sure what the long term effects of laser treatment will be - though every indication is that it should be no problem, the aviation industry and regulatory bodies are understandably strict when there's potentially such a lot at stake.

It's definitely worth calling the CAA - you may find they've changed their rules by now.

WGW

skysoarer
22nd Jun 2001, 01:54
Rohan;

Take a look at the CAA's standards at:

http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_information.asp?page=/medical/SRG_MED_initial_jar_class_1_medical.htm

It says correction of long sightedness is not acceptable but doesn't say that for short sightedness. You ;;;should;;; be alright. I thought a £20 eye test at boots along with a printout of their standards was a good plan before forking out £400 for the CAA medical.

Good luck!

SS

martinf
22nd Jun 2001, 15:12
Rohan

A guy at the seminars had had it doen and had a class one medical but I think you have to have had it done before the class one for a year or if having it done after the medical then you have to wait a year after the medical before flying.

Best bet is to go and try.

------------------
You can't have everything........Where would you put it?