PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Australia

kingairpilot
24th Mar 2010, 12:09
Hi friends,to introduce myself I am an Indian ATPL holder with 3000 hrs TT(1800hrs on BE 20,300hrs on BE350 and 500hrs on PC12).Planing to convert to Australian ATPL.Looking for suggestions from members regarding job chances for an Indian passport holder.Thanks

Q4NVS
24th Mar 2010, 13:01
AFAIK you will need a Visa for "The Right to Live and Work in Australia"

How do you plan on getting that?

Pontius
24th Mar 2010, 13:02
Working in Australia, based on what visa?

Sorry QN4VS, looks like we both posted at similar times with similar views.

manymak
24th Mar 2010, 14:06
BE20 = B200 King Air

Capt Claret
24th Mar 2010, 20:06
I think the nationality of the passport is irrelevant. The issue will be residency & work visas. As to where to look for work, all over. :ok:

frigatebird
24th Mar 2010, 22:31
Travel in via New Zealand..

tail wheel
24th Mar 2010, 23:11
kingairpilot. Unless you are sponsored by an Australian employer and had other skills and experience beyond what you have listed, your chances of obtaining an Australian Visa which would permit you to work and live in Australia are extremely remote.

With your level of qualifications and experience you would be very unlikely to attract a sponsoring employer.

Refer to the Australian Dept of Immigration and Citizenship web site (http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/).

neville_nobody
24th Mar 2010, 23:25
Why don't you apply to the Indian carriers? It is far easier to get a job over there in an airline than it will ever be in Australia. I'd even be considering going to Europe (however the GFC may have slowed the market down these days) before trying Australia.

G Limit
25th Mar 2010, 12:32
If you have a Dash, Braz or Metro endorsement you might get sponsored..:E

Homesick-Angel
25th Mar 2010, 13:44
If your going to make a large decision and commitment like moving countries and transferring licenses, my suggestion would be to get over here, have a good look around and get a feel for it first.Talk to people on the ground..

Although the upturn may not be too far away you would most likely have better options at home or throughout the rest of Asia.

Good luck.

kingairpilot
26th Mar 2010, 08:21
Hii all,thanks for the replies and suggestions.For visa my wife has a valid work visa in Australia.So I m planing to work on dependdent visa.I am making more enquiries on work visa too.I did my Kingair B200 rating from Australia.So a bit familier with Australian airspace.It is much better to fly in GA in Australia than flying in airlines in India.Trust me guys here flying s bad n the beaurocracy makes it worse.I have many friends and family in Australia,so was preferring Aus.N we dont have Metros,Saab,Dash in India.So need to find my way.Thanks guys and looking for more suggestions.

Maxweight
26th Mar 2010, 13:08
Gooday

With hours on those types you should consider the RFDS,which is one of the better GA jobs in OZ!

Regards
Max:ok:

kingairpilot
29th Mar 2010, 14:10
hey maxweight,how are you?i mailed RFDS but til date no reply.So just mailing other B200,350 and PC 12 operators.hey with my experience how much does a pilot get paid in GA?Thanks

kingairpilot
2nd Apr 2010, 13:26
Hey friends wassup?how s flying happening?

metrosmoker
2nd Apr 2010, 14:13
Here`s a tip. Learn to spell.
Your lasts few posts are a disgrace.

SmoothCriminal
2nd Apr 2010, 15:08
"Discrace" ! .,., :}

Smoothie....:ok:

eocvictim
2nd Apr 2010, 15:08
mmm yes metrosmoker, I'm pretty sure 'crace' isn't a word; however 'grace' is.

How much command time have you got and how much night. I'm guessing by your hour tally you went strait from CPL into the b200 as an FO.

tail wheel
2nd Apr 2010, 23:09
So I m planing to work on dependdent visa. I am making more enquiries on work visa too.

If your wife is the primary Visa holder, you are free to seek any employment in Australia, regardless of any restrictions on your wife's Visa. You do not need an additional "work visa".

I doubt your experience and pilot profile are within the pilot profile sought by the RFDS.

frigatebird
3rd Apr 2010, 02:40
Nice place to visit, especially if you were born there and have rellies there, but can be difficult to be considered for a reasonable gig with an Australian operator unless you have the endorsement and hundreds of hours on the type they operate. Just looking at the AFAP job site for KingAir, Brazilia, and Metro pilots reinforces that. Even 1 or 2 year bonded endorsements were years ago, now you have to get them yourself, and the time up somehow too, before applying. Seems the operators would rather take someone from anywhere, - than train -, these days. Just hope it bites them in the a*$# big time when a shortage of locals comes again...
Might push up T&C's...

nungry
3rd Apr 2010, 02:56
Kingairpilot, before you get too excited about the operators of your type here, they all need command on type, not sic. The types you're rated and got hours on are all single pilot aircraft here, as are the jobs advertised.
Indian aviation is just as different here as the countries and cultures are. Do some homework bhaaee.
namaste.

Neptunus Rex
3rd Apr 2010, 04:14
tail wheel is right (mod after all.)
RFDS will not look at anyone who does not have considerable bush flying experience.
Does your wife have a job lined up? You should be prepared to 'go bush' for a while. It will be a great education, hard yakker but a lot of fun.

kingairpilot
7th Apr 2010, 16:00
Hi friends, thanks for the inputs, as soon as I did my CPL, moved on to Kingair (much better, here people directly move to 737 and 320 after CPL).Flying GA in India is as same as doing bush flying there( you really fly to remote places where you don't have access to internet) so kind f used to bush flying.As suggested by every one I am doing more groundwork and mailing companies individually.Out of my 3000 hrs I gt 1800 hrs PIC time.Thanks everyone.

AlmostThere
12th Apr 2010, 08:19
How would one go 'bush'?
I'm finding it very hard to get information on who to contact to fly for, or even the places to go to get started. I'm more than happy to pack up and travel out to the North or West from my base in Sydney but not sure where to head first.

Thanks,
Al T.

kingairpilot
14th Apr 2010, 08:46
Hey AlmostThere, any luck so far?

Thanks

Bort Simpson
14th Apr 2010, 13:33
kingairpilot,
an important part of finding a flying job in Oz involves networking. That is, having that mate on the inside of a company that can recommend you and provide information to you about the chances of realistic opportunities (and the timing of them) for a job.

This is probably not the news you want to hear as I would imagine that due to you comming here from afar, your networking capabilities would be limited at best.

Do you have anyone in the industry here that you know, or more importantly that knows you? I know I don't recomend people for jobs lightly. I have to know that they won't be a stain on my own reputation. Others would no doubt share my view.

Sometimes the only way to build a network of industry contacts it to keep knocking on the doors of many various operators. Regular emails and phone calls will generally be an electronic waste of time. (same goes for you AlmostThere). You've got to get out there and meet and greet to start the ball rolling.

regards,
Bort

mattyj
15th Apr 2010, 07:15
why do they call it "going bush"? Shouldn't it be called "going red dirt, gravel and dust" try png for some bush!

tail wheel
15th Apr 2010, 10:12
"Flying GA in India is as same as doing bush flying there( you really fly to remote places where you don't have access to internet) so kind f used to bush flying."

Ah, I don't think you understand Australian bush flying. Think Cessna single engine aircraft, grass and gravel air strips, very remote locations, often vast cattle stations with one family, aboriginal settlements, hand refuelling from drums, 40C plus heat in Summer, flies, dust, dirt, pilot/loader/unloader/postman, low pay, poor standard accommodation and the nearest curry shop 1,000 miles away.

Pitt Street, the Taj Mahal Restaurant, hot showers and pressurised turbine aircraft are a miniscule and very luxurious remote part of Australia for an Aussie bush pilot.

Area of India: 2,973,190 Sqr Km
Population of India: 1,150,000,000
Population density: 386.8 people per square kilometer

Area of Australia: 7,692,024 Sqr Km
Population of Australia: 22,309,373
Population density: 2.9 people per square kilometer

Not trying to disuade you at all but would not be nice if you came here and didn't like Australia.

Gligg
15th Apr 2010, 10:50
The figure becomes 1.85 people per sq.km if you take Melbourne and Sydney out of the equation. (according to google/wikipedia).

and, yes, I do have too much time on my hands :hmm:

tail wheel
15th Apr 2010, 22:09
Or the Northern Territory, the home of Aussie bush flying:

Area: 1,349,129 sqr km
Population: 227,025
Population Density: 0.17 people per square kilometer

Of that population, 124,760 are in Darwin, leaving a population density for the rest of the Territory at a mere 0.076 people per square kilometer.

Wally Mk2
15th Apr 2010, 22:25
....................sheeeez you blokes ya gotta get a life there!:) I wanna know who stands there & counts the .076 per sq k?:}
As much as Aussie bush flying is challenging it's hardly a yard stick to compare for other OS countries. PNG would have to be one of the most challenging countries to fly in. Other countries that have snow feet deep would be another place far more challenging than here. I'd hate to crash in a lush dense jungle environment where wild critters are just waiting for their next meal to fall out of the sky!:} Sure it's hot here & remote (no more remote than any other place on the planet when yr lost!) The flies drive ya nuts without a doubt but the joint is flat with only seasonal snow or high mountains passes (mostly) to navigate thru that are flown on a reg basis. So I reckon even though we paint a picture that depicts Oz as a hard place I think we have it pretty easy as we don't hear of pilots getting lost & never found on a daily basis here in OZ the place where we have some of the best weather for flying:ok:

Wmk2

j3pipercub
15th Apr 2010, 23:46
I don't like my flying to be exciting, challenging et al. I really like routine, boring straight line stuff. If it starts getting exciting, I'm hopping out.

j3

VH-XXX
16th Apr 2010, 01:39
We are losing Planky today as he's flying back to the UK in his Single Engine Piper, so we have room for one more pilot from overseas.

tail wheel
16th Apr 2010, 03:55
WM2.

kingairpilot was specifically inquiring about GA flying in Australia, not Canada, PNG etc.

It appeared he was not familiar with Australian GA flying and from his last post may have been comparing Australia to his knowledge of flying in Indian. That can be totally misleading and confusing.

Threads of this nature are not appropriate to this forum.

As kingairpilot has not posted any additional information, this thread has reached it's use by date.