PDA

View Full Version : I need help !

Leon
18th Jun 2001, 15:08
Hi everybody,
I need help...... I don't know in which country I have to go !
I couldn't pass the 1st class medical examination in Italy due to my vision (I have -4 dioptres in both eyes and the limit for JAA class 1 is -3 dioptres for the first visit), so until things don't change in JAA regulations, I can't fly as a commercial pilot in Europe. So, my question is, since I have to immigrate in another country to work as a pilot, where do I have to go ?
I know that in US things are different for vision requirements, as a matter of fact I already have an FAA class 1 medical. I also know that the only thing I can do in US is flight training for a maximum time of 2 yers under J-1 visa, in fact after that period of time one has to come back home, and in my case I would have all the FAA ratings without the possibility to convert them in JAA licenses and work in my home country.
Remaining in the US would be impossible since I do not have a green card and nobody will sponsor you for a work visa for a job as a pilot.
The other possibility would be to go to Australia, there the vision requirements are the same than in US, and the possibility to immigrate under the 'skilled worker program' for a pilot is greater.
Now, what should I have to do ? Should I have to go to US for flight training for 2 years, look how things go (maybe I could win the GreenCard lottery....) and then immigrate to Australia and spend more money for the conversion of the licences, or should I have to go directly to Australia for flight training ?
The positive aspect of flight training in US is that I would be able to accumulate a lot of hours as flight instructor in one of the schools that sponsor you for the J-1 visa(maybe in two years I would be able to accumulate 1500 hours and get the ATPL, thing that will simplify the conversion process in Australia).
The thing that stops me from going directly to Australia is that I still couldn't find a
flight school that allows you to train and then work as instructor to log some hours as
happens for flight schools that sponsor you for the J-1 in US (tell me the name if you know one that let you work as an instructor in Australia!).
Could anyone help me ?
Is there anyone in the same situation ?
Or better, is there anyone that faced up the same situation in the past and could give me some advice ?
I would appreciate any suggestions !
Thanks a lot,
Leo.

Kagamuga
18th Jun 2001, 15:26
Post your question in the 'Medicals' section and you might get better informed information.

[This message has been edited by Kagamuga (edited 18 June 2001).]

Woomera
19th Jun 2001, 03:11
Transferred to Medical Forum.

------------------
Woomera
Dunnunda & Godzone Moderator

The Bagwan
19th Jun 2001, 03:47
Woomera...transfer to the medical forum? Are you rascist or maybe uptight that this foreign guy might want to fly in Australia?