PDA

View Full Version : Why the neeed to log in to view posts?

27/09
24th Mar 2010, 05:44
Has anyone else had this happen to them.

Quite often I come here to browse the various posts and don't bother to log in unless I have something to post. I don't alway remain logged in and use other computers than my own one as well.

The last two days when I attempted to browse without logging in I got a message telling me I had exceeded the maximum number of posts I could view without logging in.

I thought anyone could look without logging in, but now it seems that you cannot anymore. What the go here? Is someone trying to keep an eye on who logs in and from where?

tail wheel
24th Mar 2010, 06:02
I was under the impression that if the site is busy, access is granted to registered users ahead of guests. All internet sites have the capacity to log viewers IP address and most do log viewers details.

If you are in Australia why do you think you get Google Australia or EBay Australia as first option when you view those sites? Simply because those sites record your IP address, which then establishes the country you are accessing the internet from.

le Pingouin
24th Mar 2010, 08:36
Your browser downloads cookies & these are used to keep track of how many posts you've read without being logged in (as in the cookie gets updated) - nothing to do with IP address tracking. Delete the cookies associated with pprune to continue reading without logging in.

blueloo
24th Mar 2010, 09:01
Can someone tell me why when logged in I can't view the cabin crew forum, yet when logged out I can read it (for prolly 6mths now)? I msgd mods ages ago and nobody bothered to reply.......

Yes...it probably is a good hint to not to bother reading it....but alas i can't help myself.

hardNfast
24th Mar 2010, 09:09
I think all forums should be locked unless your a registered user. Will help stop prying eyes.

And yes I realise they can sign up then view anyway. Nowdays are people are so lazy that they can't be bothered to sign up, unless they actually want to.:ok:

27/09
24th Mar 2010, 09:29
I was under the impression that if the site is busy, access is granted to registered users ahead of guests. All internet sites have the capacity to log viewers IP address and most do log viewers details.
That might be true but that isn't the message being conveyed. I have been able to browse without any difficulty until the past couple of days. It may be a capacity issue but I don't think so as I am able to load the pages with the lists of all the threads without any problems it's just when I go to open a thread that I get the message. I've had different messages in the past when the server is too busy.

Simply because those sites record your IP address, which then establishes the country you are accessing the internet from. Yes they do/can record your IP address, that doesn't indentify the person using the computer. These sites don't require the person viewing to identify themselves with a login as is the case here.

I am just suspicious as to why this has started happening.