PDA

View Full Version : FAA; lost comms, STAR ending with a heading...

seilfly
23rd Mar 2010, 23:51
Many STARs end with a heading to fly and then to expect radar vectors to final.

If we are flying to ABCD airport - and we filed for a STAR ending up with a heading, and you go lost comms IMC. What would you do upon completion of the STAR? Fly direct to an IAF of your choice at the destination?

Assume FAA/DoD rules'n'regs...

lion-g
24th Mar 2010, 04:14
Hi my 2 cents worth,

1) Maintain last cleared altitude and track. !!! Take note of MSA in the TMA, which would have been briefed.
2) Troubleshoot !! Try all other form of communications, other VHFs, HF, CPDLC, mobile phone.
3)SQK 7600.

If by this time all else fail, I am pretty sure ATC already found out about your problem, be it Mode-C or Primary radar.

4)I would track back to a holding fix of the STAR make 1 hold and then shoot the approach. This is to buy some time for myself as well as for the ATC to co-ordinate.

Any comments?

Cheers,
lion-g

seilfly
24th Mar 2010, 12:37
Thank you for your reply! I am aware of the initial courses of action, but what when you come to the last point of the STAR, since many STARs end up with a heading and "expect rdr vectors to final" rather than to take you to a final approach? Yes, maintaining at lest MSA is a very good "2 cents worth" :) (or ESA if military and outside 25nm/inside 100nm of the point out of which MSA is based on)

galaxy flyer
24th Mar 2010, 15:54
lion-g

Agree with your comments, except I might not "track back" to a holding fix, if there was a line of inbounds behind me. Might just continue to a holding fix on the approach itself at the MSA or an altitude 1,000 or 2,000 feet above the published minimum altitude, so as to allow ATC to clear the airspace of planes immediately ahead of me. One or two turns, at least.

Lots of STARS do seem to be planned on nobody losing comms, expecially vectored arrivals and departures.

GF