PDA

View Full Version : Reasons EMIRATES $ucks as a place to work

EFC 3 DAYS
23rd Mar 2010, 16:35
Seeing as so many Emirates guys are complaining about the airline and the country I was wondering if we could see how many reasons we can come up with that Emirates is an awful place to work and Dubai to a lesser extent is a dump.
If you just list one reason per post, without repeating someone elses reason, it will be interesting to see how long this thread becomes.
FIRE AWAY!!!

MumbaiRadio
23rd Mar 2010, 16:43
EFC you are obviously a bored man..

hotcurry
23rd Mar 2010, 17:23
While we at it then,can we not also start a thread about what makes EK a good place to work at?

I personally am really happy here.
A lil roster managment and the rest sorts itself out.

I'm not for one moment saying I'm all for "adjusting" the working conditions in some sorta manual that apparently exists , but once you figure out how to deal with the biggest problem in DXB, it becomes a breeze.

laters

stylo4444
23rd Mar 2010, 17:40
Normally I enjoy reading up on opinions about EK, good or bad but this thread being created is just stupid.

Even though some may have some negative feelings about EK and the direction management at EK is going in, people still have jobs to do and creating a thread to just list "reasons why emirates $ucks" is pretty immature I must say.

Yes management might be doing a terrible job, and yes there might be more desirable options out there. And yes, Dubai is not the best place to live and there are many better options out there, but let the pilots do their job rather than creating ridiculous threads like this dedicated to tearing down the airline. As a frequent flier and fan of the product, I do feel sorry for the pilots that feel like the airline is not treating them in the way they deserve to be treated, but I most certainly appreciate the jobs that you pilots do, along with the cabin crew, and any other individuals at the airline that make travel comfortable for those that fly with EK.

Just the thoughts of an aviation enthusiast.

ManagementMotion
23rd Mar 2010, 17:48
Moderator shut this one down. It has all been said before ad nauseam.

EGGW
23rd Mar 2010, 18:05
Why MM????? No rules broken, carry on....

EGGW

Fubaliera
23rd Mar 2010, 18:22
Every time you do a Doh turn around, be grateful you work at EK.

CAVnotOK
23rd Mar 2010, 18:38
Variations to FTL's.

What's the point of having a FTL if you are going to change it to suit yourself?

CAV.

EFC 3 DAYS
23rd Mar 2010, 19:02
The whole concept and mindset of FACE SAVING
Thats a reason why Dubai and Emirates blows!!! They can never admit they are wrong!!! REGARDLESS!!!

Yossarian
23rd Mar 2010, 19:07
Disregard for the contract.

MosEisley
23rd Mar 2010, 19:24
No regard for issues related to frontside / backside of the clock flying and recovery.

airbus757
23rd Mar 2010, 21:35
The spring water here is oily.

5star
23rd Mar 2010, 21:54
Here's another one: MEDICAL Benefits (they better call it Billing).
Welcome to the deparment which will save no effort to SCREW you.

-Any pre-existing medical condition will NOT be covered by EK. You will pay all the bills out of your pocket.
-If your child is born with a disorder/defect, all future bills are for you. ALL OF THEM.
-If any of your family members need medical cover abroad, the nightmare starts. Any excuse by EK will be good NOT to refund you. I do know someone who paid $15.000 out of his pocket because the so-called 'procedure' was not completely followed.
-If you need to visit a hospital outside office hours and it was deemed not really necessary by a group of 'sub-continent' experts, the bill will be nicely substracted from your next months' salary...
and I can go on for a while about MB....

Roster Change
24th Mar 2010, 00:08
Having just left Emirates after 11 years I have nothing but praise for the medical cover provided by the company to myself and family.

Yes there is red tape and bureaucracy, but overall, all medical and dentistry procedures were covered. Overseas medical expenses and claims were dealt with, and paid into my monthly salary.

Back in the real world just to get my local GP to take 2 minutes of his time to write a presciption costs AUD60 !! I have also been quoted AUD1,700 for route canal treatment......Free at Emirates.

fatbus
24th Mar 2010, 00:17
A bit unfair of an attack on the Med / Dent , 2 close mate's with serious illness were very well looked after

jinglied
24th Mar 2010, 03:02
How about a "3 in 1" reason..

The treatment of the crews involved with MELBOURNE, MANCHESTER, and ACCRA. Absolutely disgusting on the part of management. (Yes I know, the knee jerk reaction toward the ACCRA crew was, eventually, reversed). If this doesn't tell you what it's like to work here, what does?

..And 5stars comments...

I fully agree, I know people in the same situation, especially for any overseas issues. Family coverage is becoming more limited, and changing just like the rest of T's and C's. DON"T assume medical coverage for your family!!

Jinglie'd

777boyindubai
24th Mar 2010, 03:41
The Medical and Dental care provided by Emirates Clinic is amongst the best I have seen anywhere. Excellent British, Australian and South African Staff. One of the best things the company gave to us.
However, do agree that Medical Benefits try EVERYTHING to not accept a claim. That is MB, though. Not the doctors, dentists or nurses.

Osprey55
24th Mar 2010, 05:23
AAR. Remove this spiteful, vindictive man and all sorts of things will be allowed to function normally and properly. Single biggest problem with EK at the moment.

Dirigible
24th Mar 2010, 10:03
I agree with Roster Change and 777Boy, medical and dental in Ek are excellent. (Trying to get an appointment at short notice is another matter though as is the treatment of CC SK days when considering promotions). Never had a problem with reimbursement although there is the peculiar practice of shortchanging by about 100 dits on each transaction-admin fee?
Medcare in Dubai has also improved as years ago one had to go abroad for other than the most basic treatments.

777boyindubai
24th Mar 2010, 13:34
It is difficult to get an appointment at EK clinic due to doctors leaving. They are down from 27 to 17 in the last two years. Lousy pay and AAR-mentality (mis)management to blame. They are as demotivated as the rest of the team.

Fart Master
24th Mar 2010, 16:20
777, fair point. Getting an appointment at the clinic is a nightmare. A few days ago everybody was being sent straight to the American Hospital, and it wasn't the weekend.:*

Keep suffering.... literally:)

The wheels are coming off??

captainsmiffy
24th Mar 2010, 19:13
Can't even invite my own mother and father to the pool in our compound anymore! The company has seen fit to rule that the pool, tennis courts etc are for company employees only. So my kids invite a school mate around for tea, can't swim together unless Dad is working for EK.....for heavens sake, WHY?!! Can anybody tell me?

Very, very demoralising.

5star
26th Mar 2010, 06:19
Btw. I didn't say anything about the clinic. Basic cover is indeed good. Most doctors good to very good standard. Heard they're also being pushed to the limits with a considerable number of resignations as a result...

However it gets really scary with newborns who develop something before/during birth or when you or ANY one of your family comes here with a medical issue. They won't cover it, simply as that....
I challenge everyone to contradict me. Check the facts in the E.H. and you'll see I'm right. Another thing they don't tell you during the interview.

greenpeace98
26th Mar 2010, 06:43
Read the EHandbook carefully, especially the Insurance Exclusions section. Newly ammended and ridiculous. If gettting any treatment for the illnesses covered in the Exclusions, suggest compare the cost in your home country. The costs in Dubai are astronomical. Yeap, they don't tell you these during interviews as well. :=

777boyindubai
26th Mar 2010, 15:50
5-star,
You have indeed spoken the truth.

M-rat
26th Mar 2010, 16:40
Shut it down
Moderator shut this one down. It has all been said before ad nauseam.
- ManagementMotion

One of the reasons why one should think very carefully about coming to EK is the above post.

Ladies and Gentlemen of this wonderful profession of aviation, please understand that you are not coming to a company or society where western norms apply. This is not some National Geographic or Discovery Channel wannabe romp in the exotic. You will find the norms and expectations of your western professional life completely subverted.

FUSE PLUG
27th Mar 2010, 09:56
The $17,000 USD I lost out on this year due to my productivity pay that was taken for the greater good. Congrats EK on making 2,000,000,000AED (2 Billion) profit this year... YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

jinglied
27th Mar 2010, 17:04
I was told this by a fellow pilot some time ago, he had been here only a year or so. I couldn't forget it. It was more a comment about his experiences in Dubai as a whole, EK included...And I most certainly concur...

"In the last year, I've been lied to more than in my previous life until now."

Jinglie'd

thatwasclose
27th Mar 2010, 23:35
If you go to the clinic on an off day and get a sick note for the next day it is now considered as 2 sick days. Is this right, has it happened to anyone?

BOEINGA380
28th Mar 2010, 06:15
thatwasclose,

Correct. Came back from an Annex 2 trip went to clinic because of some concerns. They took the LEGAL days off plus working days as sick leave. Was more sick on my off days ( string of 6 ) then I lost production hours yet they went so far to even take a way days off of the next month since we were in the last part of that month. All under " credit recovery " rules. How can you justify a loss of 20 hrs of work and another 7 days off and yet still want to take days off from the next month?? Sounds like baking the cake with the cherries and eating it ALONE!....I am not surprised but just giving others the HEADS UP in case they "have to" join. Only join because you have NO options. Please listen to advise of others.

Btw: Sick leave is considered as FREE OF DUTIES= DAY OFF

Keep recovering...and "YES" I am glad I have a job! :mad:

BA380

trimotor
28th Mar 2010, 15:41
Heard the Fleet management have directed the clinic to NOt consider days off/leave days when assigning sick days, and that they are recovering sick days at the rate of 3.5 sick days per day off.

mensaboy
29th Mar 2010, 05:28
If your sickness extends over an Off Day, the company still considers that day as being sick, unlike other company personel who fall sick on the weekend in the Golden Palace, whereby it does not count as a sick day. ie. no recovery for being sick on their off days.

If you call in sick on a Rest Day, prior the next days flight, the company considers the Rest Day as another sick day, in spite of the fact it is NOT a Duty Day. Therefore, you would be silly to call in prior to midnight before any next days Duty.

You will not be marked absent for calling in sick, less than 4 hours prior to duty, provided you state that you woke up.... SICK.... and notified them promptly.

Contrary to the lies from the management types posting here on Pprune, sickness rates are at an all-time high. Go peruse 10 rosters at random and this fact becomes blatantly obvious.