PDA

View Full Version : Otosclerosis

Slug
26th Jan 2001, 09:27
Anybody out there got this problem ?.

Looks like I`ve got this unilaterally, (rhs), giving 50 pndB (?) loss @ 500 Hz, the rest of the ranges are normal. Anyone know of the implications for the class 1.

Consultant says it is correctable by implant, but I don`t know the authorities view yet, also he advises a 1% chance of complete hearing loss on that side post op due getting it wrong, which he thinks may be an unacceptable risk when in his words he`s met "a lot deafer pilots".

Appreciate any info.

Bird Strike
26th Jan 2001, 12:34
I am presuming you're in the UK, if not, apologies and this may not apply to you.

From what I have heard, if you have a surgery to correct it, it must be with a particular type of surgery - otherwise you'll lose your medical (I only know of Class 1 situation). I don't know the name of this particular surgery, but if you telephone CAA in Gatwick, they will tell you which type is acceptable. (What I am saying basically is "Make sure you don't get the treatment that is not acceptable to CAA!".)

Sprawler
6th Jul 2001, 13:23
Just found at my Class 1 that I suffer from this. The Doc told me that there is a possiblitiy of further hearing loss as I get older and I will therefore have to do the audio test every year at renewal.

Does anyone else suffer from this? How has it affected your flying career? How do the JAA view surgery to correct it?