PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

g10
27th Apr 2001, 20:23
What's the Medical Requirements of wannabe air transport pilots who had asthma at some stage in their lives?

Would I fail the Class 1 medical coz i had it? And what about the more stringent BA Medical?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

skyvan
29th Apr 2001, 00:29
This seems to come up on a regular basis, so a search should give lots of info.
Apparently, some authorities will allow asthma sufferers to gain a Class 1 medical, subject to certain conditions. I don't know what they are, but they are obviously depend on how bad the asthma is.
I think that it is similar to diabetes, if it can be controlled by lifestyle, and not chemicals, then you can fly. I believ that it also depends on whether you already hold a Class 1 or not.
Why don't you call CAA and ask them? Better to find out now, than later when you've already spent a whack of dosh.
Good luck. Maybe you could post feedback of what you find out.

g10
29th Apr 2001, 14:44
Thanks for the advice on the search

as a summary:

Class 1 is possible with asthma, as long as it's not severe....blue/brown inhaler is ok.....expect to do some running at the medical......

As for BA and other airlines....no ideas....i may give BA a call tomorrow to see what they say.... will let everyone know what i find out.

G10

g10
1st May 2001, 01:33
ok called BA recruitment, and they said to call CAA.....so I'm presuming they accept CAA's standard for asthma.