PDA

View Full Version : Atrial Premature Beat. Advice please.

Vulture
11th Mar 2001, 12:11
I have just been told that I have an atrial premature beat. I have experienced palpitations for a number of years (20) occassionally when tired, stressed or having had too much caffeine and I have had no problems with being cleared to fly.

I understand that Atrial premature beats are quite common in but it has not shown on any of my previous ECGs to my knowledge.

I have been experiencing palpitations for a few weeks recently so my guess is that this is simply the first time I've had them at the same time as an ECG. I do feel a little anxious about the job application and even more so about the ECG and lack of clear guidance so far.

The situation is complicated as I'm applying for a job and their process is quite slow. The CAA are not yet involved and my GP is no aviation expert.

The questions I have are; has anyone else experience of atrial premature beats and are they significant? i.e are you still flying without any waiver such as 'as or with a co-pilot'?. Am I right in linking palpitations and atrial premature beats?

I know I should wait for expert opinion but it has taken 10 days to get very little so far. I would be very grateful for any comments and advice. Thank you.

Jolly Tall
13th Mar 2001, 03:21
Vulture,

As you probably already know, APB - also known as an ectopic beat, palpitations, and a few others - is usually harmless. It is often triggered by stress/anxiety, alcohol, and particularly in my case, fatigue. Many people have this condition, and never notice, others like myself are at times extremely sensitive to it. For example it can be quite alarming when experienced on short finals!

I have had it investigated at a cardiology clinic and it is of no clinical significance. Very likely yours is similar. I fly on a Class 2 medical with this 'condition', I don't know how it would affect a Class I medical, but would be very suprised if at all.

Engineer
13th Mar 2001, 05:53
If any help look at www.jar.nl.co (http://www.jaa.nl) FCL3 subpart b for medical requirement on the cardiovascular system

Good luck

Sorry typo error sent you to a company selling Greek urns

Always willing to learn

[This message has been edited by Engineer (edited 13 March 2001).]

Vulture
14th Mar 2001, 23:58
JT & Engineer. Thank you both for your input. JT particularly, it is comforting to have an example of someone flying with the condition. Is your Class 2 because of a restriction on a Class 1?

Anyone else with an example would be welcome. I still have no idea of when any investigation will be carried out but I'm hoping soon!

Jolly Tall
15th Mar 2001, 01:10
Vulture,

No restiction, other than a self-imposed one of missed opportunity involving career choice long ago. It's probably too late to go down the Class 1/ATPL route now, so I fly recreationally & so only need a Class 2. Best wishes for your investigation.