PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crash in RAK

omaATC
21st Mar 2010, 13:14
I see in GulfNews a light aircraft crashed in Ras Al Khaimah, anyone have any more info?

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/emergencies/two-men-injured-as-training-aircraft-crashes-in-uae-1.600351

NOLIMITS
21st Mar 2010, 16:10
Took place at Jazeerah club. Aircraft written off but for now pilot and pax are doing ok. Engine out on a go around - Aeroprakt A22. Very experienced pilot.

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd Mar 2010, 04:56
I was there about 1 hour after the incident.

Managed to take one or two pictures, but not able to unload to PPrune, sorry.

The other story I heard, was that the microlight, was making a very tight turn from a very close and low base leg.

There was a slight breeze, and no noticable turbulance.

The aircraft stalled in from about 50 feet, and impacted with very little visible damage, the Instructor and passenger were taken to the local hospital.

The nose wheel, was seperate from the main wreckage, but apart from that all in the same location, and consistant with a vertical drop from a low level, with negligable horizontal motion. I was not able to investigate any closer.

In keeping with the GCAA policy, they are investigating, and expect a full unbiased report soonest.

The airfield remained closed until GCAA satisfied that the incident was pilot error

glf

alexlyni
24th Mar 2010, 07:44
Hi Gulfstreamaviator,

I used to fly one of those A22s there, so I'm extremely interested if you saw a/c registration or not?
If not, could you please advise if the aircraft was painted in yellow or some other color?

Thanks.

NOLIMITS
25th Mar 2010, 18:22
It was XAP, yes painted yellow - the first A22 the club bought. There are still 2 other A22 for H&F. Story in the National of today.

Fortunately the airfield opened again soon and we are flying. The only GA life in the UAE!

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Mar 2010, 17:43
Been flying, and just back.

The National had a full feature, and as in most newspaper reports the heroic pilot saved the kids at the orphanage.

I can not down load and cut paste the report, but managed to get a jpg of the page, if interested.

glf