PDA

View Full Version : Astigmatism

uk
26th Apr 2001, 22:37
Dear all
I have just been informed by BA that my degree of astigmatism does not meet the minimum for the issue of a JAA Class 1 (R -2.25,L -2.50). As you can imagine I'm devastated. Can anyone tell me how I passed the BA medical in 1999 yet fail it now when in actuality, my eyesight has improved? In 1999, it was R -2.50, L -2.75).
I'm also through to the final round with bmi for their pilot bursary scheme.
So I'm hoping somebody out there can help me. I read with interest that requirements could be changing in the near future. Can anyone inform me if they will have any relevance to my situation? And what about laser corrective surgery? At present I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so as to weigh up my options.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

PS Are the requirements any different in the US as I have the right to work there.

Dr Jekyll
27th Apr 2001, 16:23
There a re certainly reports that the overall correction limit has, will or might change from -3 to -5. But my understanding is that the astigmatism limit will remain at -2. In the US, your prescription is irrelevant, so that is probably your best option.

Eagle 1
27th Apr 2001, 17:18
Just out of interest....what exactly is astigmatism?

Cheers

:)Eagle 1 :)

Tinstaafl
28th Apr 2001, 17:47
Instead of the lens being symmetrically & correctly curved in the vertical & horizontal planes there is a deviation that prevents the lens from focusing to a point.

As an analogy, imagine a lens as egg-shaped with the long axis aligned vertically, horizontally or somewhere in between (as you look through the lens) when it should be spherical.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 28 April 2001).]

Hew Jampton
28th Apr 2001, 18:08
Probably over-simplified, but astigmatism means that if one looks at a brick wall, it is not possible to focus on the vertical lines of mortar at the same time as the horizontal lines of mortar, and vice versa, or the blurring might occur at an oblique angle.

[This message has been edited by Hew Jampton (edited 28 April 2001).]

Frying Dutchman
29th Apr 2001, 11:42
Is there a way to reduce astigmatism? I have a slight problem with it and hope it doesn't ruin myself to apply to an airline at the end of the year. Any advice is welcome!

Tarmach
29th Apr 2001, 12:13
Surely you can correct it to some degree with glasses can't you??

Tinstaafl
29th Apr 2001, 15:54
Astigmatism is one of the factors that prescription lenses correct.