PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical - I passed!

STurns
26th Apr 2001, 13:38
Had my initial yesterday and must say they were all a thoroughly nice bunch.

Dreaded the EEG and ECG most but no problems at all.

So to anyone going, don't worry so much!

Should get my certificate in about 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

STurns

PS Nice to see how our taxpayers money built such a lovely facility for the nice CAA people :)

PPS Didn't like that thing that blows in your eyes!

Bobby Guzzler
26th Apr 2001, 16:47
I just recently had mine too!

Never mind the blowing in your eye thingy, the bit that always makes me shiver is initiated by the words

'could you cough please'

It is not unexpected, but the last thing you want to hear from a male doctor!

sam_flying
27th Apr 2001, 11:23
STurns

I am sooooo pleased for you!!!! Well done!!!

It must be a relief!

Well I have only 10 days until my medical http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif But not so worried as I was since I had my eyes tested this week...they did that blowing in the eyes thing too....horrid!!!

Anyway, hopefully I'll be posting the same message soon. Keep your fingers crossed :)

Sam

STurns
27th Apr 2001, 13:45
Sam,

Good luck with your medical. I'm sure you will be fine.

When you're finished pop up to the 3rd floor. A nice subsidised cafe is there.

Regards,

STurns

sam_flying
27th Apr 2001, 14:31
STurns

Thanks!!! And I will do....I am sure I will need a very large coffee to steady the nerves afterwards!!!!!

Just a question...did you drive to Gatwick and is there somewhere to park??? I know its says in the bumf they send that they may use eyedrops...but I can't get someone to take me so will have to drive. Is this wise??

Sam

batu
27th Apr 2001, 15:21
Congratulations......
I've got a Question! My eyes are -5,25 and -4 in JAR-FCL terms (CAA is initial is -5/+3), at the moment I'm wearing +1,5 glasses while reading....some info. would be appreciated...thx and cheers to you all. Batu

Bobby Guzzler
27th Apr 2001, 20:13
Sam,

There is plenty of space to park at the CAA building.

Don't worry about the eye drops test. They only use them occasionally for people with eye problems. They have to say it to cover themselves, I drove back so you should be alright.

p.s. I didn't have an epileptic fit either after all those EEG tests! - So that was a relief!

ravenx
28th Apr 2001, 22:04
Never mind the eyes and the tackle testing - its the sharp jab in the end of thefinger for the blood test that I hate - because I know that as soon ans they have done one they will always want to do it again because they can't get the blood to come out, or its the wrong colour, or its wednesday or something

ravenx
28th Apr 2001, 22:10
Batu,

Didn't realise they had changed the inital from +/- 3 dioptres. The other thing to be aware of is they didn;t used to allow anyone with a difference of >2 dipotres between eyes. Not sure if that still stands as well

batu
29th Apr 2001, 14:02
Found this at the pprune site: Orginally posted by MR magoo (King of Bates):

1. CAA initial class 1 limits are now +3/-5 but with the caveats mentioned on their site.

2. Renewals are the same as revised initial issue.

3. Beta carotene is the stuff that improves night vision - not smoking will be even more effective and save your life too!.

4. Bates worked for me and it's worked for lots of others too - I found the big key to it was to accept what you see and NOT TO STRAIN TO SEE.

Check out point 1 !

Bye and cheers Batu