PDA

View Full Version : Cyclic and Collective Update

Shawn Coyle
20th Mar 2010, 16:36
I'm starting to work on the next update to Cyclic and Collective. Suggestions for new material or changes to existing material are most welcome.
Also starting to work on a helicopter flight instructor's manual - suggestions on anything for this book also gratefully entertained.

paco
20th Mar 2010, 18:13
How about a car chase? :)

Phil

gnz
20th Mar 2010, 20:58
Fly by wire?...
...and a french editor :}

Shawn Coyle
21st Mar 2010, 17:15
gnz:
I'd love to have a French translation (and a Spanish translation). Willing to discuss splitting royalties, etc. PM me please!
I'm just wondering how all the puns and bad jokes will translate…

zlocko2002
21st Mar 2010, 17:48
cant wait to see it :ok:

LastMinute
22nd Mar 2010, 04:29
I think the biggest improvement would be to make sure the text is thoroughly copy-edited and properly typeset. I don't know whether I inadvertently ended up with an early printing, but I was very disappointed with the copy I bought.

paco
22nd Mar 2010, 05:05
As with all things like this, if you waited for it to be perfect it would never be published. Not that I noticed any mistakes, but I would rather Shawn's book be out with a couple of typos that not at all.

In any case, it is simply not cost-effective to employ a professional preafrooder for one or two books.

Phil

Phil77
22nd Mar 2010, 23:56
I suppose the market for a version translated in german is rather small... *sigh* (would have to look up most of the terminology anyway ;-) )

A few years ago, I spent a lot of time on the graphics for my lesson plans and such - I hate see them go to waste... PM me if you are interested in a sample! (I was a design/marketing guy in a former life)

Phil

EN48
23rd Mar 2010, 01:37
Include some coverage of the work being done by the IHST (International Helicopter Safety Team).

Perhaps offer a companion website (subscription basis?) for updates and current topics of interest.

Whirlygig
23rd Mar 2010, 06:54
Not that I noticed any mistakes,
Similarly, none passed my pedantic eye. :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

chopper2004
23rd Mar 2010, 08:06
Shawn,

How about colour graphics / photos? Still enjoying studying your book

Cheers

rick1128
23rd Mar 2010, 13:21
Shawn,

How able a reprint of some of your articles? Auto-rotations, H/V curve and airworthiness were full of useful information that is not always available in such a concise manner.

rotorfan
24th Mar 2010, 06:44
Shawn, I have The Art... and read it long before starting heli training. Haven't read C and C, will have to get it.

For the instructor's book, I have a suggestion that might be more important for low-time FIs, but perhaps useful to all. When I started heli training, I was a 20-year stuck-wing pilot. I was paired with a brand-new 200 hr. CFI fresh from school, no airplane background. I was his first stude. Besides having airplane instincts, I was also an experienced motorcyclist. Know where this is going? I never tried to push over hard (an airplane instinct to avoid a stall) only because I read enough to understand that could be deadly in our R22. But, in hindsight, my instructor wasn't smart enough to guard against it. I could have killed us easily. :ooh: I've also twisted the throttle the wrong way a couple of times. I don't think about it on a bike, but I force myself to think about it in the aircraft. So, for instructors that are transitioning a plank driver, I think they have to be more careful than training a student that knows nothing and hasn't developed anti-helicopter habits.

Rotorbee
24th Mar 2010, 07:36
For the young CFI it is always difficult to find interesting training scenarios. You could add a few of those. I believe that a lot of the old ... here will have some ideas, too.
Scenario based training and HITS is what the FAA wants anyway.

WikiRFM
6th Apr 2010, 19:36
Did I miss out on this thread?

Can you resolve, once and for all, the differences/non-differences between vortex ring state, settling with power, power settling, and "settling, with power"?

Also, I'd second the need for scenario-based training. My instructor wasn't taught to use SBT, in part because his instructor didn't teach him and he either didn't have the knowledge, confidence, or motivation to invent his own. I'm in the same spot now, except that I lack the knowledge and confidence, rather than the motivation, and could use a little help.

alouette3
7th Apr 2010, 13:58
Shawn,
Given that a large majority of Pruners and pilots worldwide begin -continue-end their careers offshore, a chapter on offshore/ship board operations would be well received.While flying is flying, the unique nature of these operations make it worthy of a full chapter in your book.
Ditto for training too.
Alt3

Shawn Coyle
7th Apr 2010, 22:55
Thanks all for the suggestions - keep 'em coming.

Have found potential German translator (someone who obviously needs psychiatric help) and looking for more simple-minded folks who might do French or Spanish translations... (Chinese maybe??)

Planning on making an electronic version for the iPad (so I can justify buying one myself) - it'll have full color (and colour) diagrams and pictures.

C-David
15th May 2010, 16:28
An observation from the virtual world:
In the process of VV&A of civil and military simulators it remains a challenge to explain why in zero wind compass heading, VOR radial, GPS, and ground track are not all identical. The reasons are multiple. I am repeatedly surprised by the number of Chief Pilots, O4s and CW4s that "Know" VORs are aligned to current magnetic north. I have yet to run across a pilot out side of engineering test that understands vertical CG has any effect, "if the ball is centered in zero wind, heading and track are identical."

These pilots all seem to discount the variation they see in the real world to “unreported wind variations” This explanation has always satisfied them until the day the get to be God, and have absolute control of the wind. Now the error must be in a “phantom wind” (or the aeronautical engineers lack of understand of physics) because they “Know” given the opportunity to zero that wind all references (compass, VOR, GPS, and ground track) will align perfectly.

Previously you covered the physics that accounts for the differences in these navigation references. Keep them and fortify them with additional real world navigation examples.

BTW - FSXXI is due to add more simulators soon; Ft Rucker’s Warrior Hall will be full plus some. Know that the young men and women that walk through those doors, though they may never know it, in some way benefit from your life’s work.

15th May 2010, 18:35
C David - are you talking about inherent sideslip? This was a very valuable piece of information I learned from Shawn's book.

Shawn Coyle
16th May 2010, 05:00
crab and C-David:
next article in Vertical is about the lowly slip ball and the issues with it for helicopter pilots.
Also starting to come into the 21st century and thinking of an electronic version of it! (color pics - as well as colour pix - we make both kinds) and new material.

Graviman
17th May 2010, 11:56
Shawn,

The advanced aerodynamics section could benefit from a discussion about total pressure, dynamic pressure and static pressure. There is no controversy about a rotor acting as a pump to increase average total pressure from above to below (and of course it stays the same for a given weight, although distribution across rotor depends on flight condition). This also provides a nice explanation of how Bernoulli's theorem (which explains lift) fits in with Newton's theorem (which explains downwash). It would also allow rotorheads to understand better debates about things like the pressure bubble myth (or upwash from ground plane reflected helicopter image).

In the flight controls and rotor heads section you could include an explanation about how the rotor is its own flying machine, with the pilot actually having very good control over pitch and roll rates (with pitch links correcting for aero-gyroscopic lead angles etc). But that the rotor has a servo effect on the aircraft pitch and roll rates by generating a lateral force above the fuselage CG, with the associated delay in response. This can then lead into explaining why hingless designs offer a faster manouvreing response over teetering (along with dynamic rollover, reduced g pushovers etc).

Hope this what you are after,

Mart

JohnDixson
17th May 2010, 14:57
Shawn, the MH-60k has been running around with an electronic slip indicator for two decades.There were some interesting discussions with the IBM folks in getting it to function correctly.

Also, when you get around to the inherent sideslip discussion, don't miss those machines that had lateral shaft tilt built in ( CH-54 and SH-2 for instance ), and the "wonderful" effects that feature had on inherent sideslip in all of the non-hover flight conditions.

Thanks,
John Dixson