PDA

View Full Version : A word to the wise (ex-EK driver's experience)

Escaped EK
20th Mar 2010, 13:59
I have recently escaped the evil empire and would like to share a few thoughts. Many things have been written about EK over the past years for the most part true, but i would like to add a few more insights.

After I tendered my resignation I was asked to attend for an EXIT interview. The under lying question was why are you leaving and what can we do to change your mind?

Simply put my reply was that prior to signing up I was presented a glossy corporate image of EK where I would live in a fabulous villa supplied by the company who would pay “all reasonable utilities” and all I had to do was jump into my chauffer driven Audi & fly approx 75 hours a month staying in 5 star hotels whilst my wife and children attended private school 95% paid for by the company and if I worked over time (more that 78) I would receive a healthy overtime payment known as productivity pay. Then on my return I would enjoy ample time off to enjoy liberal cosmopolitan Dubai and socialize with my friends. The incremental pay scale table along with the historical regular pay increases and amazing company profit share where brilliant, my promised & future tax free salary would allow us to live the good life with loads of toys and the ability to save a lot of money and if I stayed 5 years I would receive 75% of the company’s provident fund contributions representing 12% of my growing salary or 100% if I stayed 7 years. We could travel home and see the world regularly using the firm and standby tickets available to all staff not using holidays which were 42 days a years but using days off that we could bid for using the amazing EK bid system even stringing days together over 2 months so we could have 2 weeks off but still work our 75 hours. But the real carrot was the ability to make the left seat in 3 years.

The reality was very different, I had decided to leave because the accommodation was a scandal, what we were shown and what we eventually received were as different as a Boeing NG and an Antonov . The quality of the build was shoddy, it leaked whenever it rained and I guess the plumber did the tiling and the carpenter did the plumbing. I now had to pay a large portion of the exorbitant DEWA electricity and water bills for the villa that requires constant AC to keep at a reasonable temperature due to its poor insulation and a water requirement needed to keep the garden green to give my family somewhere same to play and relax escaping the world’s biggest construction site that is Dubai and having to pay extra fees because the company had not been paying its bills. When I returned from trips having driven home in the tattered battered Audi driven by a poor contract driver who was working 15 hours straight and driving the world’s most dangerous roads at 140km, I was continuously fatigued and trying to figure out what time zone I was in.

Working over 90 hours a month with the overtime pay essentially abolished by moving the threshold to beyond the legal annual average. The pay increases stopped and the published pay scale increment was abolished and the bonus none existent even thought the company continuously made money, the greed was becoming obvious, extreme and obscene. The cost of living had skyrocketed in Dubai and we were finding it difficult to make ends meet. We were not alone most of my neighbours were expressing the same worries, savings and toys were out of the question. Schools fees were rising an average of 12% per year on already crazy prices with company contribution frozen, so within 3 years my contribution of 5% was rising to over 25% and would represent 2 months of my stalled salary. The bid system was failing with top bids frequently not achieving the requested time off or pairings. Stringing days together proved difficult often impossible so trips had to wait until annual leave which was bid for and often achieved unworkable dates not coinciding with school holidays and only the 30 legal minimum days being permitted, the balance being allocated as random days off at the company’s will. Then to top it all the carrot of command had rotted and become turnip somewhere out in the distance out of reach getting further away.

So what can we do to convince you to stay they asked, I simply replied deliver on your promises, give me chance at command, increase my salary so i can afford to stay, sort out the school fees and give me back my life so i can enjoy my family by allowing me to fly reasonable long haul hours. The reply was that current policy does not permit us to do that.

In the words of the soon to be late Mr ED “You’re obviously not getting my message. We don’t accept email objection letters. Additionally, our contracts with all employees allow for revisions to the conditions and policies of the company so long as they are advised to the employee – it does not require a ‘re-negotiation” – your contract is worthless, it is a guide, the writing is on the wall chaps, bail if you can, plan if you can’t, join at your peril.

I for one have acted and not just talked, life on the outside is good despite what they will have you believe. You simply cannot not apply a low-cost short haul model safely to a long haul operation. My advice to the wannabe if you have a job and it pays your bills stay, if you’re out of work and get an EK job offer by all means take it but be warned!

Maybe the coming bumper profit will see some changes for the better either through logic and open eyes or through economic competition for staff, but I seriously doubt it.

kiwi
20th Mar 2010, 16:03
And I can guarantee that the reason for your resignation would have been placed under heading of "Personal".
A rather handy all encompassing explanation to the powers above, that accepts no fault on the company side.
There are none so blind as those who choose not to see.

NG_Kaptain
20th Mar 2010, 17:01
Five years ago EK would have been my dream job. Working for a legacy carrier and not wanting to pack it in , but still reading these boards, Emirates seemed like a very happy progressive company.
How things have changed in such a short time. Is it the Emiratization of flight ops? When did the rot set in?
When my previous company shut down and I needed to find a new home I accepted the first firm offer and went to work for the guys south of you, mainly because I didn't wish to go through the selection process twice.
If I had been offered a job first by EK I probably would have accepted it. The way your managers are treating you guys I believe when the next hiring boom comes up EK will have a lot of shinny new aircraft parked because there wont be pilots to fly them. Hopefully management is reading these forums and will do something quickly to correct the current crisis.

BritishGuy
20th Mar 2010, 17:23
Escaped EK, would you mind if I ask what it is you moved on to?

Manning Road
21st Mar 2010, 05:12
Thanks Escapee for that lucid summation.

Capt Roo
21st Mar 2010, 05:51
Sad comments. Almost joined EK a few years ago, glad now with hindsight that I didn't! Since things are picking up in the far east and contracts are being renewed again staying on was the right call.

The main reason we didn't come was that my wife felt she would be discriminated against in Dubai, given that she is not Anglo-Saxon.

Looks like there are bigger problems in sunny Dubai though. One thing about the far east - contracts are honoured to the letter. Very silly of the Dubains to try to wiggle out of a contract, it will always come back to bite them.

Che Xindamail
21st Mar 2010, 15:06
Very well-written.
Reminded me of Good Will Hunting, when Matt Damon is being interviewed for the CIA job and explains why he shouldn't take it.
Good luck with your new job whatever it is.

M-rat
21st Mar 2010, 15:30
I sent my EK Contract to a lawyer in my home country. I wanted his opinion:

This is nothing but a framework for mischief

:*

So that's that I guess.

ManagementMotion
21st Mar 2010, 18:40
Well written but:

Emirates remains one of the best packages available.
Can anyone name another Airline that offers a better package and is currently recruiting? Please give details if able.

Most know this hence the turnover of pilots is well within historic norms with regards to Emirates and better than many major carriers.

Job security is high from a number of perspectives. E.g. Not the same can be said for a major British carrier that is undoubtably going to collapse or break up given their losses, industrial action and an unsustainable pension system that has been raided to the point where the liabilities will ultimately bring the airline down. Many will not see their expected returns. Contrast this with Emirates' completely independent Provident Fund.

We can probably expect many of this carrier's pilots to be applying here over the next few years. Most of them arriving with more than ample type and network experience.

Marooned
21st Mar 2010, 20:07
M&M/Mana or whoever else you'll be soon, did you actually read the post?

Emirates remains one of the best packages available.

If they/you stuck to the 'contract', and I use the word contract loosely, it may well be one of the best packages but YOU lie and cheat it down to a mediocre one.

As for the so called provident fund you have to be in management to think any returns from the BA pension could be anywhere near as cr*p as the mismanaged fund we have to put up with.

So the managements strategy is to keep working the crews to the max in the hope that eventually BA pilots (once BA goes bust?) will jump at the chance to come over and do the same... Where do they get you idiots from?

Well done Escaped EK, hope to follow soon. Perhaps you could tell us where the tunnel is?

fdcg27
22nd Mar 2010, 00:58
So, we have a couple of pilots who have actually lived the dream and found it a nightmare.
Shame they treat their expats like day labor.
The airline does have lots of new equipment on order.
Wonder who they will find to fly all those new A380s?

411A
22nd Mar 2010, 03:13
Wonder who they will find to fly all those new A380s?

I expect the stack of applications for all types is at least eight feet tall, by now.
No shortage, me thinks.
Now, having said this, just what guys find when they are actually employeed is another kettle of fish...apparently.:hmm::}

Taylor01
22nd Mar 2010, 03:23
M&M,
Please quit saying what a great package we have. That is the lure of today. We all know that that is subject to change without any notice and a pilot's health is worth more than what you say you offer. The word is out around the world and until you make the flight conditions better (i.e. not 90+ hours every month with min days off) people will not come and we will continue to leave.:=

sony
22nd Mar 2010, 03:56
Can anyone name another Airline that offers a better package and is currently recruiting? Please give details if able.

Just off the top of my head....Air Japan contract (higher pay), NCA contract (higher pay) and accepting resume's for recruitment within the year, any of the Air China contracts (higher pay). Actually most of the contracts out there currently pay more than Emirates. As for permanent employment, there are quite a few airlines that pay significantly more than Emirates, but as you imply, are not recruiting... like British Airways and Cathay.

That being said I do not think Emirates is a bad gig. There are plenty of places that are much worse. Money is not everything. There are so many factors that are specific to any individual that will determine the quality of a "JOB"

dustyprops
22nd Mar 2010, 05:07
Escaped EK - enjoy having your life back mate:) and what a great post.

Absolutely a must read for anybody thinking of joining. Rolling from one punch to the next is what it feels like.

Anyone considering EK take heed of the warning, as things stand right now, this is very sound advice.

MM - give it up, the "EK great package" line is getting old.

QCM1
22nd Mar 2010, 06:20
Freedom in Oz....avoid being Native Arborigen or Indian from India or trying to build a mosq:rolleyes:

halas
22nd Mar 2010, 06:29
I'm Native Arborigen and l get to eat vindaloo in my mosq :}

halas

Snake man
22nd Mar 2010, 07:49
MM,

1) "Most know this hence the turnover of pilots is well within historic norms".
Is it possible that this has more to do with the current economic downturn and not so much to do with what a fabulous job this is? It might be more accurate to measure the success of our current recruitment drive and how many of the selected candidates are actually pitching up for the job.

2) "Job security is high from a number of perspectives."
Do you want to try explaining that to all the people who have been fired/demoted/disciplined in the last 12 months? Most notably to Manchester F/O who was fired during training for doing a go-around?

3) "a major British carrier that is undoubtably going to collapse".
I don't know what to say.........! Where did you pluck that undoubted fact from?

4) "We can probably expect many of this carrier's pilots to be applying here over the next few years."
Possibly you haven't been here terribly long, so let me help you out. An assortment of managers from TCK's time onwards have been predicting the imminent arrival of "many" BA pilots who are going to solve all our recruitment and experience problems. It just hasn't happened. If indeed you are management, may I ask: "Does this mean you will be opening the doors to DEC's again.....?"

SM

Payscale
22nd Mar 2010, 08:45
1) Simple economics. In down times they will squeeze us like lemons. In good times reward us to show the world, and their creditors that all is good.

2) Only fractions of the trust circulates in rumors. Thats a fact! the rest is mere spin offs of the truth. This IS an airline in the 14th century...their management sometimes reflects it. If BA or the other big airlines could fire pilots at will, they would too. Its every managers wet dream to come there before retirement and try out those principles that didnt work at home.

3) Who knows! Swiss Air didnt see it coming either.... SAS might be next..

4) The doors doe DEC was never closed. Its an automatic door that opens when you approach it. Rightly so. I dont particularly like the DEC concept, but it has always been part of the expat pilot scene. I expect the I too will be a DEC sometime...maybe you will too!

Take Care

Payscale

johnnyramjet
22nd Mar 2010, 09:00
QCM1 Here are a list of Sydney Mosque's, there are many more in other cities. Try building a Church in the ME. Another twist of facts. :ugh:

Sydney Mosques and Prayer Room Locations Name: Al-Azhar Mosque

Address: 172 Burwood Rd,Burwood,NSW 2192
Phone: 97404396

Name: Artarmon Musallah
Address: 35 Hampden Rd,Artarmon,NSW 2064

Name: Ashfield Musallah
Address: 1/27 Holden st.,Ashfield,NSW 2131

Name: Auburn Gallipoli Mosque
Address: 15-19 North Parade,Auburn,NSW 2144
Phone: 96465972

Name: Auburn Musallah
Address: 12-16 Harrow Road,Auburn,NSW 2144
Phone: 98203553

Name: Bankstown Mosque [Masjid-e-Abu Bakr]
Address: 2 Winspear Ave,Bankstown,NSW 2200
Phone: 97074842

Name: Bankstown Musalla
Address: 108 Adnum Lane,Bankstown,NSW 2200

Name: Belmore Mosque
Address: 172B Burwood Road,Belmore,NSW 2192

Name: Blacktown Mosque
Address: Cnr Prince and Forth Street,Blacktown,NSW 2148

Name: Bonnyrigg Mosque
Address: 44 Bibbys Place,Bonnyrigg,NSW 2177
Phone: 98234126

Name: Cabramatta Mosque
Address: 52 Water Street,Cabramatta West,NSW 2216

Name: Campbelltown (Minto) Mosque
Address: 44-48 Westmoreland Rd,Leumeah,NSW 2560
Phone: 98202536

Name: Carringbah Musalah
Address: 28 Frosbisher Ave,Carringbah,NSW 2229
Phone: 95256694

Name: Central Coast Mosque (Wyong Mosque)
Address: 13A Howarth Street,Wyong,NSW 2259
Phone: 43531451

Name: Charmhaven Musallah
Address: 18 Pacific Hwy,Charmhaven,NSW 2263
Phone: 43931599

Name: Chatswood Musalah
Address: 1 Albert Ave,Chatswood,NSW 2057

Name: Dee Why [Al Jihad] Mosque
Address: 12 South Creek Rd,Dee Why,NSW 2099
Phone: 99826102

Name: Erskinville Mosque
Address: 13 John Street,Erskinville,NSW 2043
Phone: 95163039

Name: Gladesville Musallah
Address: Cowell Street Car Park,Gladesville,NSW 2111

Name: Global Islamic Youth Centre & Prayer Hall
Address: 265 George St,Liverpool,NSW 2170
Phone: 96021511

Name: Gosford Musalah
Address: Narrara Road,Gosford,NSW 2250

Name: Granville Musallah
Address: 3/ 23-25 South Street,Granville,NSW 2142
Phone: 96324475

Name: Green Valley Mosque
Address: 264 Wilson Road,Green Valley,NSW 2168
Phone: 96074074

Name: Gwynneville [Omar] Mosque
Address: 9 Foley Street,Gwynneville,NSW 2500
Phone: 43531451

Name: Hornsby Musala
Address: 73 Jersey St,Hornsby,NSW 207
Phone: 414507255

Name: Illawarra Mosque [Bilal Mosque]
Address: 1 Bethlehem Street,Cringila,NSW 2501
Phone: 42746232

Name: Kensington Musallah
Address: 1/178 Cnr of ANZAC Parade & Todman Avenue,Kensington,NSW 2033

Name: Lakemba Mosque [Al-Imam Ali]
Address: 65 - 67 Wangee Road,Lakemba,NSW 2195
Phone: 97506833

Name: Lakemba Musalah
Address: 19 Haldon Street Cnr Railway Pde,Lakemba,NSW 2195
Phone: 97503690

Name: Liverpool Mosque
Address: 42 Wilson Road,Hinchinbrook,NSW 2168
Phone: 96074074

Name: Lurnea Mosque (Islamic House Mosque)
Address:9 Brigalow Avenue,Casula,NSW 2158

Name: Macquarie University Musalla
Address:Ground Floor, International Bldg, Macquarie University,North Ryde,NSW 2113

Name: Mascot Musallah
Address:Upstairs 1215 Botany Road,Mascot,NSW 2020
Phone: 96624410

Name: Masjid Darul Imaan
Address:Cnr Princess Hwy & Eden St,Arncliffe,NSW 2205

Name: Mayfield Mosque
Address:36 Silsoe Street,Mayfield,NSW 2304

Name: Merrylands Friday Prayers Hall
Address:Merrylands Community Centre, Miller St, Merrylands,Merrylands,NSW 2160
Phone: 96826280

Name: Nepean Mosque
Address:Cnr Luxford Rd and Hythe Street,Mount Druitt,NSW 2770
Phone: 98322546

Name: Newcastle Mosque
Address:6 Metcalf Street,Wallsend,NSW 2287
Phone: 49500099

Name: North Sydney Musalah
Address:McMahons Point Community Centre, 165 Blue Point Rd,North Sydney,NSW 2060

Name: Omar Mosque - Auburn
Address:43 Harrow Road,Auburn,NSW 2144
Phone: 96437711

Name: Omar Mosque Wollongong
Address:9 Foley St, Gwynneville,Wollongong,NSW 2500
Phone: 02-4225 1962

Name: Paramatta Musalah
Address:Paramatta Town Hall,Paramatta,NSW 2150

Name: Penshurst Mosque
Address:447 Forrest Rd,Penshurst,NSW 2222
Phone: 95803390

Name: Prospect Musallah
Address:420 Blacktown Road,Prospect,NSW 2148

Name: Punchbowl Musallah
Address:27 Matthews Road,Punchbowl,NSW 2196

Name: Redfern Mosque
Address:328 Cleveland St,Redfern,NSW 2010
Phone: 96984149

Name: Rooty Hill Mosque
Address:25-29 Woodstock Ave,Rooty Hill,NSW 2770
Phone: 96772613

Name: Rydalmere Mosque
Address:465 Victoria Rd, Cnr Primrose Ave,Rydalmere,NSW 2116
Phone: 96387788

Name: Ryde Masjeed-Musallah
Address:120 Blaxland Road,Ryde,NSW 2112
Phone: 98072149

Name: Sefton Mosque
Address:11-13 Helen Street,Sefton,NSW 2162
Phone: 96451313

Name: Smithfield Mosque
Address:30 Bourke St,Smithfield,NSW 2164
Phone: 96092551

Name: South Hurstville Musallah
Address:18 Culwulla Street,South Hurstville,NSW 2220

Name: Surry Hills Mosque
Address:175-177, Commonwealth Street,Surry Hills,NSW 2010
Phone: 92810440

Name: Sydney CBD Musalah
Address:Level 2, 86 Pitt Street,Sydney,NSW 2000

Name: Tempe Mosque [Al-Hijrah]
Address:45 Station Street,Tempe,NSW 2044
Phone: 95588533

Name: Town Hall Mussalah
Address:167B Castlereagh Street, Town Hall,Sydney,NSW 2000

Name: Wynyard Mussalah
Address:60 Clarence Street,Sydney,NSW 2000

Name: York Street Mosque
Address:36 York Street,Sydney,NSW 2000
Phone: 92992798

Name: Zetland Mosque
Address:932 Bourke Street,Zetland,NSW 2017
Phone: 93196733

LHR Rain
22nd Mar 2010, 09:35
Word on the street is there is only 265 qualified applicants currently at EK. The airline needs to hire approx 550 pilots in the next year and a half. Where are they going to come from?
Of those 265 you know at least half of them will use there common sense and not come so it will get interesting.

AVIATOR757
22nd Mar 2010, 10:35
Your eyes are fogged up with sand buddy:eek:. Not comparing with Cathay or any other quality airline, Emirates captain is taking less than any airline in the region. Etihad, Qatar, Gulf air and Oman. Considering Dewa bills, Etisalaat, ridiculously high school fee and 95 block hours a month. Qatar First Officer makes the same amount as an EK captain with 95 hours flying.This new cap really makes a big difference.
Cathay FO has always taken more take home than EK captain.
Now don't give me the option to leave as there is a surprising number waiting to see what happens in the next two weeks.:ugh:
I as a matter of fact like Emirates but would definately like to see things improve to an industry standard. There has to be a limit to how much an airline can squeeze.:=

EFC 3 DAYS
22nd Mar 2010, 10:49
"there is a surprising number waiting to see what happens in the next two weeks"
Would they be the same "surprising number" who were waiting last year to see what would happen and are still here "waiting to see what happens" before deciding to "wait and see what happens" next year?
EK will continue to shove and bully its pilots around so long as the pilots take it.
The key to making things better at EK is managements absolute determination that the "EMIRATES" brand name stays intact.
If flights get cancelled due to pilot shortages or sickness and the media gets interested in the whys of said cancellations I am sure that pilots would soon find their job lots improve.
Talking about the "wait and see" is all huff and puff!!!
EK pilots should step up and start playing hardball now!!! Or is the hardtalk reserved for bar-b-ques and hotel layovers?

ratpoison
22nd Mar 2010, 12:29
Indian from India
Is there another kind? :confused:

donpizmeov
22nd Mar 2010, 12:46
They the type John Wayne use to chase?

CAVnotOK
22nd Mar 2010, 13:38
What's happening in the next 2 weeks?

Chewthecrude
22nd Mar 2010, 14:13
we "wait and see what happens" :)

Didn't you read what EFC 3 DAYS wrote? ;)

ManagementMotion
22nd Mar 2010, 19:37
Afternoon all.

Some quick replies:

Marooned: The BA pension may be good on paper today. I doubt todays pilots will see much of it in the end though.

sony: Seems your argument is defeated by your own logic. You speak of "higher pay". I speak of the package. The two cannot be compared. As you say "money is not everything"

Snake man: I concede that "collapse" may be the wrong word. However I will contend that it will barely resemble the company it is today. Call it restructured, fragmented or whatever but its current form will collapse. Its liabilities show it has to.

LHR Rain: "only 265 qualified applicants". Check your source. Make sure he/she is sober.

Aviator757: Too much time on type? Modernise. Again I say compare package not salary. Not too difficult to do even the old fashioned way. On the other note: Nothing surprising will happen in the next few weeks or even months with regards to what you are alluding to.

EFC 3 Days: You hit the nail on the head buddy. I'm sure all the same names will be saying the same things a year from now. And yes keep the "hardball" talk for those beer moments. Venting is helpful. But you cannot compete with the company in the hardball arena.

Must rush. I dont seem to get as much idle time as some.

fdcg27
23rd Mar 2010, 00:13
411A,

I know that you are right.
I was being somewhat disingenuous.
For the moment, given the state of the world economy and consequent reduced demand for air travel, there are plenty of experienced transport pilots on the beach.
As the world economy recovers, as it will, this labor surplus will be gradually absorbed.
In the long run, who will remain with, or seek employment with, a carrier with a long record of treating its pilots poorly?
Although conditions must improve as demand for crews increases, an airline badly regarded on the street will not likely attract the cream of the crop in its applicant pool.

Saltaire
23rd Mar 2010, 04:01
Aviator 757 is sadly correct....MM is way off and deflecting the facts. The package at EK is average at best and compared to CX is falls FAR short. A year 1 CX captain makes 55,000 drm/ month base pay. Take your package MM, put a bow and ribbon on it - CX makes on average 30-40 % more than EK, even with the small tax rate in HKG. The overtime is real overtime at a reasonable threshold of 84 hours. I could go on and on...

MM your so called package assertion needs serious review. I suggest the powers that be have a close look and EK's pay rates and do something about it. They are painfully low.

Silky
23rd Mar 2010, 04:38
Well MM.... can I have feed back on what you consider to be a good rental/utilities amount to rent a 3 bed terrace i.e. spring, jum village south, Al Reem?
:}

pissedoffpilotek
23rd Mar 2010, 04:41
If you opt to buy accom in HKG, CX also gives you 25000DHS per month. Look at the difference over 10 years and a CX pilot is way better off. KA deal is also good. EK is not close!

BusyB
23rd Mar 2010, 06:23
15 years to command in CX should be taken in to account. Also present start point is as international cadet SO.:(

Saltaire
23rd Mar 2010, 06:28
True BB, CX was 10 years from junior SO, now perhaps up to 15, and EK was 3 years to command and now will be 6-8+, keeping in mind EK starts from FO position with most having much more experience than a starting CX SO. We have to compare apples to apples here.

CX is still a better package, with a much higher salary and we are talking about B scale....A scale is not even on the same planet.

emratty
23rd Mar 2010, 08:34
I have flown with Cathay pilots who have joined EK in the last couple of years who do not have a good word to say about them. More Cathay pilots have joined EK than have left EK to join Cathay.
As for applicants I can assure you that there are over 200 applications in from UK pilots alone, a large number being from BMI and Virgin. We have to keep things realistic I want to see a payrise and good profit share but to compare EK with Qatar,Gulf Air etc just makes me smile. I have a good friend in Qatar who would bite his right arm off to work for EK.
These forums are getting more desparate by the day what happened to the 30 people leaving for turkish airlines??? managment just sit and laugh at us clutching at straws. The fact is the pilot turnover is still very small and until the world economy really comes out of recession we do not have much power to influence things. Our time will come I have seen it all before.

Saltaire
23rd Mar 2010, 10:01
You'll find they left CX for EK due to personal reasons, likely deemed unsuitable to upgrade and or the time to upgrade as they can start at EK as an FO, not because EK is a better package. There is more to it than meets the eye... You see what you want to see, just like EK management. EK is trying to sell a deteroirating contract that changes by the week...instead of waiting for things to change how about EK stepping up and improving the package? Shouldn't be difficult for a company that is about to announce over a 2 billion Dirham profit on the backs of it's exhausted employees.

ManagementMotion
23rd Mar 2010, 17:45
Emratty supplies a more realistic view than the utter rubbish that poses as statistics in regards to leavers, joiners and applicants.

Firstly no one has named a better package from an airline that is actively recruiting because they cannot. Salary is no comparision if that is all the competition supplies. Where is housing, education, up to 15% fund contribution, medical, insurance, transport? Go ahead make my day if you can find one. EK monitors the competition closely and right now its a buyers market. The aviation business is a tough game. It is time to wake up to this reality or quit the profession.

Secondly apart from those airlines mentioned there are some other majors either going under or laying off pilots in their droves. Believe it: There are hundreds of more than qualified applicants on the books and more arriving daily. And EK will be employing hundreds over the next year.

Thirdly the rate of attrition (due resignation) is actually decreasing now. It was close to a respectable 2.5% but is now dropping. That is monitored too.

A very small percentage of EK pilots will continue to write about the coming exodus. It will not happen. The list of those available to fly on days off is impressive too.

So

The aircraft will fly.
The pilots will come to work.
Of this all can rest assured.

P.S. Word of advice: Don't bite the hand that feeds.

rakedwings
23rd Mar 2010, 18:15
There are a few EK guys who have left for Vietnam and Oman Air. Does that make them better operators. Management does laugh at us when they see guys like you writing garbage on the walls. Your opinion is not shared by the majority. No one came from CX for better money or conditions but a quicker upgrade that EK was able to deliver earlier. Now it is a very different scenario.
EK contract was bloody good 6-7 years ago with average salary,but better life style. I remember having 14-16 days off with no more than average 65 hrs a month.:ugh:

Yossarian
23rd Mar 2010, 18:29
Yup, the package and lifestyle were far better years ago. Why does an airline with such self-proclaimed grand aspirations reduce its package and lifestyle to such mediocrity. Yes, it saves money, but at some point you have to accept any venture has costs. Its not like they are running at a loss.

CAVnotOK
23rd Mar 2010, 18:32
Anybody, who considers EK to be a better package, better job, or better anything than CX is delusional and has had their head buried in the sand for way to long.

If you tell yourself something for long enough you might actually start to believe it!

EK has become a second rate, and very unprofessionally run airline in a very short period of time. If they don't realise this in the very near future it may be too late to pick up the pieces.

CAV.

NO LAND 3
24th Mar 2010, 07:57
MM,

I'm just curious; without getting into the rest of the debate, why are you posting here? Were you asked to, or is it for personal reasons?

Dirigible
24th Mar 2010, 09:41
Ive had a lousy all night turnaround flight, only to find a rotten roster for next month when I arrived. Can someone brighten my day and tell me when ED is leaving. He was in EGHQ this morning.

FlyEmirates777
24th Mar 2010, 11:11
Can someone explain how implementing a maximum number of days off in a month, limiting the number of days off in a row, and limiting the number of days off before and after annual leave saves the company money? It seems to me that these rostering issues are what is really killing the quality of life here and I see little, if any, benefit to the company.

CAVnotOK
24th Mar 2010, 13:11
In one word, VINDICTIVE.

777boyindubai
24th Mar 2010, 13:38
Very easy answer. You make life difficult for pilots. You behave in a vindictive way. People reach saturation. People leave. Make the ones that stay work 95 hours a month instead of 75. Make more money for the company. Make a huge bonus as a VP. Welcome to EK. Keep being vindictive.