PDA

View Full Version : Which type of contact lenses

Frying Dutchman
8th Mar 2001, 13:47
Hi all...

I m thinking of getting a pair of contact lenses but is generally quite ignorant of which type to get. So, i would like to hear advices from who has worn them. Thx.

BigTimeWannabe
8th Mar 2001, 14:02
I personally wear one-day acuvue from Johnson & Johnson. They are disposible contact lenses, and very comfortable. I have never had any problems with them. The main reason I have them is because I don't trust myself with contacts which need cleaning.

BTW

FreshPrinceofBA
8th Mar 2001, 22:01
I wear Bouch & Lomb (unsure of spelling, they make Ray-Bans) medallist 66s monthly disposables every day for flying unpressurised. They do get a little dry after 8+ hours of ues which is easily remedied with wetting drops. I have found them very good allround. They could be a problem in an airliner cockpit though. Also the cleaning solutions need to be experimenting with, I find Allergan complete to be the best lubricating. It's all personal preference though.

Matt

wishtobeapilot
9th Mar 2001, 07:40
I would recommend semi-rigid gas permeable lenses. It's true that they are not as comfortable as soft lenses but after a few days, you won't notice them. The plus side is that GP allows your eyes to breath and therefore, less likely to dry up which is an irritating experience. I have soft contacts as backup and if I wear them on a dry day, my eyes feel dry. No problems with GP though.

DOC.400
9th Mar 2001, 21:49
Go with BTW on this. I've been wearing same for years. Only prob is if u get them in the wrong way round! Slight discomfort!!
90 quid for 3 months.

Frying Dutchman
9th Mar 2001, 22:47
My eyes tend to be dry and shd I invest in a pair of gas permeable type? Or shd I get the J & J acuvue and use eye droplets regularly?

Bird Strike
10th Mar 2001, 06:20
I am using Johnson & Johnson Acuvue 2, which is (roughly) weekly disposable, and I continuously wear them (i.e. I don't take them out at night). I haven't had a single problem with them, and they're very comfortable. Much better than the old Acuvue, which used to get dry and sticky at times (at which time I used the special lubricating drops). I find that Acuvue 2 don't dry out even on long-haul flights.

BigTimeWannabe
10th Mar 2001, 14:22
Bird Strike,

Are the Acuvue 2 designed to be worn day and night without removing them for a week?

Only like to know because it sounds to good to be true, and I want to get more info on them.

Cheers

BTW

Bird Strike
13th Mar 2001, 19:42
Hi BigTimeWannabe,

I think they (the opticians) in the UK might not like you wearing contact lenses while you sleep (as they said 'no such thing as 'continuous wear contact lenses exist' when I enquired - but it was ages ago), but I got my first experience of continuous wear in Spain, on the original Acuvue (not the one-day sort, they were weekly disposables). They said I can wear them for 1 week if I take them out at night, and 3 or 4 days if I wear them continuously - sleeping with them in).

I've written a more detailed reply to your e-mail address.

Azure
13th Mar 2001, 21:25
I switched to Acuvue 2 about six months ago, and just "love" them. Although I try to remove them every night (your eyes do need oxygen) if you do happen to fall asleep with them in, you don't get that "fog" that some other lenses produce by morning. A few blinks, and they're as clear as can be, I don't even need to use eye drops.

Just remember to let your eyes "breath", and don't be cheap, buy plenty and replace often.