PDA

View Full Version : the problem of eyesight?

oliverpollard
20th Jan 2001, 22:56
I feel like I am stuck in a position I dont know how to deal with and would appreciate some advice.
I have always wanted to be a pilot. There is nothing else I want to do. Whilst presenting doing a law degree at Uni of Birmingham, as a back up it is clear I am not happy.
I have 11 GCSE at A/B grade and 3 A levels at A grade (Geography/Law/English). I also have other qualifications. However these results do not shadow the fact my eyesight is below that specified by BA. I need some sort of advice about how to achieve my aim including and the next step I need to take.
I am going to a aviation lecture on wednesday in london that i attend yearly. However, my situation is quite different and the lecture does not ever make it clear what I should do. Does anyone know what I should be doing? Cheers.

ste_js
21st Jan 2001, 00:04
How come your eyesight is below the level required by BA?

If it is because you need corrective lenses and they are too strong (i.e. refractive error beyond +/- 5 dioptres) don't worry. You can still be a pilot in the USA and in many other countries around the world. The regulations that stop you in the UK and Europe are hopefully changing in the next couple of years so don't give up yet! I am starting a degree next year then if the regulations change I am going to be a pilot or I'll move to the states, its better over there anyway!

[This message has been edited by ste_js (edited 20 January 2001).]