PDA

View Full Version : A call for Passive Aggressive retaliation against BA Cabin Crew strikers

VS1711
18th Mar 2010, 17:07
I'm flying BA this weekend, making me one of the lucky 65% of BA passengers who's travel plans haven't been ruined by Unite.

I understand the anger of BA CCs that their jobs aren't what they used to be but really, what makes them so special? Being a pilot ain't what it used to be. Being an investment banker ain't what it used to be. Even politicians can't cheat on their expenses like they used to. Joking aside, we're in the worst recession ever. People aren't flying. Count yourself lucky to have a job. Even if it's 10% worse than it was, it's not like you're being asked to fly six sectors a day flogging phonecards on commission, is it?

As paying punters it can seem like our only sanction is to boycott the airline, which is what Unite want. They want our actions to hurt BA, thus multiplying the effects of theirs. I'd propose we find a way to make the pain felt among the cabin crew, by showing them what hard work really is.

I would never advocate being abusive or doing anything that could compromise air safety. But once the strikes are over, and the strikers are back on BA flights, I think all BA passengers should make a policy of being the most annoying, demanding and brusque passengers they can possibly be. Ring the call button obsessively. Demand endless supplies of soft drinks, pillows and rugs. Return their greetings with blank stares and if you're in the least bit dissatisfied with any aspect of the crew's performance make sure to get their name and send a letter of complaint.

If BA are making life 10% harder for their crews out of financial expediency, let's see if we can't make it another 10% harder by showing them what it's like to work in a place where no-one thanks you for simply doing your job, no-one returns a smile from a stranger and the slightest drop in performance can lead to you explaining yourself to a superior. In short, let's show them what it's like to work in an office.

IJM
18th Mar 2010, 17:18
As far as I know, not every BA CC is taking part in the strike?
(correct me if this is wrong though)

After the strike is over, if you are on a BA flight how would you know which individual CC members supported the strike, and which did not?

Would it be fair on a "non-striking" CC member who is just trying to do their job, for people to behave towards them in the manner you suggest?

Just for clarification, I am not connected with BA in any way. I would be seriously unhappy if my travel plans were messed up by strike action, but behaving in a vindictive way towards CC is not my style, and I suspect many people think likewise.

Skittles
18th Mar 2010, 17:21
I'm sorry to be completely cynical, but;

1. You want to increase the workload and decrease the working conditions for a group of people who are striking because of increasing workloads and decreasing working conditions (apparently).

2. What about the cabin crew that are not striking? Making their working life hell isn't going to help, in fact if anything it'd push more crew towards Unite's cause.

I do think point 1 is the best. People go on strike over a 10% increase in work difficulty, to which the answer is to make the increase 20%. That'll teach them.

Neptunus Rex
18th Mar 2010, 18:20
Don't even think about it.
This strike will probably fizzle out within hours rather than days. The number of strikers will be small, so your chances of hitting the correct target are very small. Besides, the CC have seen it all before and are very capable of taking care of troublesome passengers.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/ohduh.gif

ExXB
18th Mar 2010, 18:46
that I've been using BA over the last couple of years for two main reasons. The CC and the Business class seat.

IMHO:
BA's executive club is crap,
BA's executive club people in Bremen are crap,
BA's lounge dragons are crap,
BA's communication are crap,
BA's T5 is crap,
BA treats their premium customers like crap,
BA's baggage service is crap,
BA etc. etc. etc. is crap.

Now some of the CC are following their leaders over the cliff, like lemmings. (and I bet you I've met many of these mid-performers over the years, particularly on the IAD route).

So that leaves the seat {sigh}

Here's hoping someone else comes up with an even better seat (maybe somebody already has) because I'll not use them by choice in the future.

Capetonian
18th Mar 2010, 18:51
I can think of a worse way to show displeasure towards the strikers. Ironically though, I can't really think of a good way either.

Boycotting BA would seem to be the least bad approach, but it is playing into the hands of the strikers, and when the airline sinks, as it inevitably will, the innocent will be hurt too. BA lost its direction years ago and has got worse. It needs to change, radically and fast.

If everybody wrote to top management, registered letters to WW, expressing their opinions about how the airline has treated its staff and customers over the years, they might sit up and take some notice.

jethrobee
18th Mar 2010, 19:24
To set the scene, I am a BA Gold exec club, my 11th consecutive year, and I am working at a customer site in Rome this week and next week. I have been a fiercely loyal customer to BA over the years, even when others in my company insisted on going elsewhere I stuck with it.

I had a message about possible disruption to my flight home tomorrow, but that now seems ok, and next Mondays flight out is the only early one going. Thankfully on a charter covering for the strikers. I don't know if I am going to get home to my family next weekend thanks to the strikers.

I have just booked my next 4 long haul flights, 3 USA and 1 Australia ALL BUSINESS CLASS and NONE WITH BA.... there you go CC, I wont be making another mistake, you have finally pushed me over the edge.

I do genuinely feel sorry for the crew who aren't striking, because it seems like the poor crew caught up in this unions show of power and strength at the cost of millions to the airline will most likely drive more customers away.

As more premium customers move away the airline will get deeper in to the mire, and to be honest, would anyone hire any ex-BA CC? I know I wouldn't, well except by paying my tax to cover their dole money when the airline does eventually go bang.

I cant risk my own customers because of some petty union power struggle, where they seem to be fighting against the rules they put in to the crew out of LGW.

As you can tell, I am just soooooo angry about this avoidable mess.

TightSlot
18th Mar 2010, 19:28
VS1711 - Why don't you just buy a rifle and shoot some of them? Just think how good that would make you feel? Sure... there'd be some unfortunate non-strikers caught up in it, but hey, they probably deserve it for something else, right?

I'm going to close this thread, before I lose my temper comprehensively, and open a new one, specifically for you all to vent about the strike and its' impact on your lives - at least that way the venom will be confined to a defined and known area, instead of mushrooming all over this site. See HERE (http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/409355-ba-strike-your-thoughts-rants.html)