PDA

View Full Version : Darling Downs Aero Club

Steve888
18th Mar 2010, 07:19
I'm looking at doing an instructor rating with Darling Downs Aero Club at Toowoomba.

Can anyone provide any information/experiences with the school? I'm going out to have a chat with one of the instructors next week but wanted to get some wider opinions.

Cheers!

Jamair
18th Mar 2010, 15:09
Steve888:
I have been poking around DDAC for a fair while (since early 70s) and the Club is a very positive learning environment. The instructors are relatively experienced in real-world terms, either as instructors or as professional pilots in other areas. The CFI Graham has been there since Moses played full-back for Jerusalem and is not only a great bloke but a bloody good operator.

The Club facilities are also excellent, the fleet is well maintained, and TWB is a great place to fly. There is an active social scene, with weekly bar gatherings and competitions.

I can recomend DDAC to any prospective student or prospective instructor.:ok:

Trojan1981
19th Mar 2010, 01:42
Steve,

I have only had limited dealings with them but I have to agree completely with Jamair. They are very positive and easy to deal with. They are very down to earth and won't Bulls:mad:t you.

If I was up there, thats were I would be:ok:

21st Mar 2010, 12:39
Also they have been in the game since 1946 - not your average flight-by-nighter.

somniferous
21st Mar 2010, 12:42
Tim Berry from DDAC is a great instructor.

Defenestrator
21st Mar 2010, 12:49
Onya Tim:ok:

Jabawocky
21st Mar 2010, 13:18
I think Bert Snorkel did a bit if time there? If he did they'd be a better school for it :ok:

Funny you should mention Bert, I arrived at work on Thursday and was given a message Bert had called looking for me. He is now at the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and I was a bit concerned why he called looking for me. Maybe some remedial training was in order for young Jaba :uhoh:.

Fortunately when I took the call it was a friendly voice with some sound advice.

What a top bloke Bert is! :ok::D

TAFSWA
22nd Mar 2010, 09:22
I completed my GFPT through to CPL at DDAC in 2008 I can highly recommend Tim Berry. I completed most of my training with him, Tim and Graeme (CFI) have an excellent reputation for training flying instructors also.

LUCKY-1
22nd Mar 2010, 09:53
Are u sure moses played at Full Back for Jerusalem? I seem to remember he mostly played at center - half back; I think that was around the time that the ForkTailedDrKiller was only a Trainer then, still studying medicine!

Dnav31
27th Mar 2010, 13:37
Guys,

It is great to hear some positive feedback from an Aero Club..... Here i was thinking they had all died.

Dont let this happen to this one, it prob the only one in 100 mile (incl. YBAF), so keep it up.

Jamair
27th Mar 2010, 14:50
Not quite the only one....Redcliffe Aeroclub is alive and well, and I can also vouch for their professional expertise. Once you have learned to fly at YRED, crosswinds will never be a problem for the rest of your career!