PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical

Hermie
2nd Mar 2001, 19:53
Hi,

I'm really keen to know what makes for a Class 1 medical. How can you pass a Class 1 Medical. Any of you lads who have gotten a Class 1 please reply as I would really like to know whether my eyesight would be prevent me an opportunity from getting a Class 1 Medical. Currently its at L(6/18) and R(6/12). What are the medical examinations involved in a Class 1 ?

Please reply, Thank You, Cheers !!

Peace Out,
Herman

BlipOnTheRadar
3rd Mar 2001, 02:20
I too would like a CAA/JAA class 1 medical, but because I have amblyopia the God like CAA will not even consider my aplication. My stats are R= 6/5 4.5D L> 6/6 4.5D (the left eye cannot be measured properly as it is too long sighted)
I have asked if a check ride with a panel examiner could be considered but apparently that is not what they're for. I have also told them that I would gladly accept the restriction "may only exercise the privileges of the CPL/ATPL whilst operating as part of a multi crew cockpit" this too was found to be unacceptable. The CASA class 1 medical says, regarding amblyopia & monocularity "May be passed as fit with conditions, subject to further testing by Aviation Medicine." And the FAA class 1 "May be acceptable subject to FAR 67.4013(c)"
So does anyone know to which country the CASA regulations apply? or where I might undergo an initial FAA class 1 in the UK?

In conclusion, do not pin your hopes on the CAA, they will not help you. Try looking abroad where aviation authorities encourage aviation.

I hope this helps.

Happy flying

BlipOnTheRadar

Warrior boy
6th Mar 2001, 01:17
The initial class one is done at Gatwick and takes about 3 or 4 hours.It is pretty thorough including, EEG, ECG, chest X-Ray,hearing test, lung function test, a general examination and of course an in depth check on the eyes, all for the princely sum of £387.If you need more info do a search on pprune or check out the CAA website medical section.

inverted flatspin
6th Mar 2001, 01:20
There is no "initial" medical with the FAA, they are all the same, as you get older you need an ECG for first class.

a.mused
6th Mar 2001, 23:45
Blip on the radar

Strange how different people tell contrasting stories about the same organisation isn't it? I'm +3.5 left and +3.0 right which is marginal but the CAA couldn't have been more helpful. Also the regs should be changing later this to +5 being acceptable.

mattince
7th Mar 2001, 17:22
a.mused,

What do you mean the CAA were helpful?
Did you get your Class 1 with +3.0 and +3.5? That's what I am and I an waiting till end of year when the limits wil hopefully change.

Cheers mate.