PDA

View Full Version : Inital Class 1 medical soon..and I am worried!

sam_flying
18th Apr 2001, 18:03
I have my inital class one medical booked for the begining of May at Gatwick, and boy am I worried about it.
I was lucky enough to have a BUPA healthcheck on the company recently, and it is pretty damn thorough. I used it as a precursor to the Class 1 in case anything was wrong. I passed everything ok, but I am still worried...particularly on the eyesight front (I have no problems as far as I know - but you hear of people going along and discovering things they never knew they had!!), and also on the weight front.

Has anyone got any info on the eyesight requirements...I have seen the caa website but want to know what the results mean. My BUPA healthcheck showed I had 6/6 but they measured the nearsight as N/4....what does this mean???

Also, what are the boundarys or the limits when it comes to weight/body/fat ratios etc. I am not grossly overweight...but I am heavier as I should be. Has anyone got any advice????

Help!! Scared!!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

MaximumPete
22nd Apr 2001, 10:39
Relax!

BUPA didn't find anything wrong so why should the CAA. You are the customer. If you meet the reqired standards you will be assessed as fit to hold a Class 1 medical certificate. Worrying about it will not make any difference, except to your blood pressure

Looking at the shape and weight of some of my fellow pilots I think you have to be a real Mr Blobby to fail on that count

MP

Captain Numpty
22nd Apr 2001, 17:58
Sounds like you should be ok. However, if you are going to fail on any thing during the course of your medical, it's usually colour blindness. If you are colour blind.....insist on doing the "Holmes Wright" lantern test.

Good Luck

C.N.

sam_flying
25th Apr 2001, 17:28
Thanks both of you for the encouragement. I had my eyes tested today by an Optician and she seemed to think I would pass the CAA requirements with no problems....so now its just the rest of me to worry about ;)

I had the colour blind test too and had absolutely no problems so thats good too!!!

Thanks again!! :)

Sam