PDA

View Full Version : Strabismus (crossed eyes)

EF
27th Feb 2001, 07:19
When we get a Class I, do they check for varying degrees of strabismus (eyes not aligned properly)? Specifically, latent strabismus (heterophorias) - since clearly full strabismus would preclude flying.

If so, which part of the eye exam covers this?

FireDragon
27th Feb 2001, 17:21
Yes, I believe that a squint, (or strabismus, to give it the correct name), is tested for. (Personally, I was tested for it for my class 2, never mind class one, but maybe the examiner was just thorough)

FD

EF
27th Feb 2001, 17:43
What specifically was the manner of the strabismus test? How is it conducted?

EF
28th Feb 2001, 02:16
What is manner of the strabismus test? ie. Is it done when you look into the machine (through the two lenses when you do the other tests... like near vision, far vision, color vision, etc)? Or is is done by the doctor by looking directly at your eyes?

Thanks

Low_and_Slow
28th Feb 2001, 08:40
For the US class two (just renewed mine a few weeks ago) they had me look into a machine with a separate images. In one was a line, the other had a bunch of numbers. Had to give the nurse the number that the line intersected. Rotated all 90 degrees and repeat.

No test of him covering one eye and looking for movement on the other (at least for me). With my history you'd think they'd check these things (surgery for Strabismus as a child).

If you find out anything about FAA or JAA, please post it.

FireDragon
28th Feb 2001, 20:48
EF

Sorry for delay in replying - been away.

What I had done was a 'Cover Test' - one eye is covered, then the doctor looks to see if the other eye has to move at all to refix on where it is looking. Both eyes are done separately. Next is another cover test, but this time, an alternative one; one eye is covered, then the cover is moved immediately to the other eye. I THINK this checks to see if strabismus COULD be present.

These tests were performed BEFORE the normal eyetest with the snellen chart.

Hope this is of some help to you

FD

EF
1st Mar 2001, 03:14
Does anyone know how much movement (for example, doing the cover test) would constitute a problem? In other words, can you have a "slight" movement to realign after a cover and still have a Class I?

I've had military flight physicals for 16 years and have done the test (while looking through the lenses) where there is a dotted line and a series of differing height numbered lines. They ask for the number where the dotted line crosses. Have always passed it - or at least it has never been commented on.

Thanks

FireDragon
1st Mar 2001, 15:22
EF

You are obviously worried about this, do you have a history of strabismus?

I know that in the cover test, even the slightest movement could indicate strabismus, but I don't know how much, (if any), is acceptable to the CAA: Why not give them a ring and find out?

Alternatively, go and see a good optician, they should be well versed on what is required for a class 1 medical, and can test you to ascertain whether you meet the requirements.

nb Another strab test is when a light is shone towards the eyes, to look at the light reflection off the cornea. This will show up a definate strabismus, but could miss a small one.

FD

Lu Zuckerman
1st Mar 2001, 20:10
To: EF

Strabismus runs in my family to varying degrees. My sister has it and it went undiagnosed. As a result when she saw double her brain would shut down one eye as a defensive mechanism. She still has it and as a result she is effectively blind in one eye although if she covers the other eye she can see with what had been a blind eye.

I had it and a really sharp optometrist diagnosed it. He put me through a visual training program for several months so now I have a very mild prescription in my lenses for distance vision. Knowing that I had it I had my two sons examined. One had it and the other didn’t. The optometrist gave my son a stereo optican. That is one of those old devices that allowed you to look at a picture that was in fact two pictures printed on a cardboard backing. The picture was placed in the viewer and the viewer was moved until the picture could be viewed in stereo or in full depth. The picture was then moved outward and the eyes were forced to keep the picture in stereo. This exercise lasted about three weeks and he was cured.

I would strongly suggest that you go to a good optometrist and have him diagnose the extent of the problem and have him/her give you a visual training course as this problem can be cured or at least minimized.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 01 March 2001).]