PDA

View Full Version : Single or return ticket to the US????

AlexanderH
16th Mar 2010, 12:01
Quick question and this might not be the correct section to ask it....

Just got my visa for the States so I'm going to book my tickets.
Doing my PPL. Do I need to book a return ticket or can I just go over on a single?
I believe I was told a single was sufficient as the training time is not set in stone.
Any advice?

Flying Wild
16th Mar 2010, 13:02
Immigration in the US might have something to say about a single ticket. Along the lines of overstaying your visa...
Probably safer to get an open return if you are that worried about your course going on longer than anticipated.

b.a. Baracus
16th Mar 2010, 13:25
Hi,

I am pretty sure you don't need to buy a return. I know this because I spent a lot of money changing / cancelling flights etc, then I found out that a single is OK in the first place :ugh:

But please don't take my word for it, to be safe I am sure you will find what you are looking for here Embassy of the U.S. London (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/index.html)

copywrite33
16th Mar 2010, 15:33
Direct from the website:

You will qualify for travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, or Switzerland:
• traveling on a valid, full validity, machine readable or e-passport with an electronic chip. Please check the validity of your passport by following this link (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/mrp_bio.html). The date on which your passport was issued is an important factor in determining whether your passport will be acceptable for visa-free travel. The failure to determine that your passport qualifies for the VWP may result in you being denied boarding by the airline.

Note: A passport indicating that the bearer is a British Subject, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas) Citizen, or British Protected Person does not qualify for travel without a visa. A passport which states holder has Right of Abode or indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom does not qualify for visa free travel;
• For business, pleasure or transit only;
• Staying in the United States for 90 days or less;

Plus, if entering the United States by air or sea is,

• Holding a return or onward ticket. If traveling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to U.S. immigration at the port of entry. Note: Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas;

Although whether they practice that or not is a different matter, i flew into LAX, on standby, and they didn't ask to see any proof of return or onward ticket.
Not sure i would like to be caught out by US Immigration though.

Best advice is to buy a return or a standby ticket or even just a cheapy across one of the borders to show you are leaving the country.

AlexanderH
16th Mar 2010, 16:41
US Embassy in Sweden says return ticket not needed for immigrant visas.

AlexanderH
16th Mar 2010, 17:21
Sorry I meant return ticket not needed non-immigrant visas.

Photon85
16th Mar 2010, 19:53
in any case, buying a two-way ticket will save you bundles if you can time it correctly

copywrite33
17th Mar 2010, 00:46
Remember a visa does not entitle you to enter the United States. It simply entitles you to get on a plane. So you do not want to go upsetting the USCIS.

Um...no!

A visa entitles you to enter a country its an ESTA that allows you onto a plane/ship with a final destination in the USA - another security measure post 9/11.

You do not get a visa before you take off you get one when you land!

tigermagicjohn
17th Mar 2010, 09:25
You have a Visa waver or a Visa, regardless they can refuse you to enter if they believe there is a 0.01 % chance that you will not leave the USA when your visa expires.
Visa does not allow you automatic entry to the US, border control can refuse if they believe you will not leave, you do not have the funds to stay, if they do not like your face, they can actually do what they want, if they believe there is a chance that you do not intend to leave the USA.

punk666
17th Mar 2010, 10:05
Return ticket to save the risk, the yanks will get concerned about you flight training and will want a quick chat in the back room. Well I had that but I guess its because I was there for a year instead of a month.

Why go there risking it? Your coming home anyway so get a return ticket but put it to the end of the Visa if you finish early then change it. Simplez

destinationsky
17th Mar 2010, 10:20
Having travelled to the U.S to do flight training, i would either book a return or an open return to show that you are going to leave the country.
I got taken into a little room for a brief chat and one of the questions asked was my return date.
In all honesty, i think it would be easier to book a return for a little longer than you need and have a holiday at the end of the training. If not, you would be able to book an earlier flight home subject to a fee.
Good luck!

Kyriakos
17th Mar 2010, 11:55
Mate, don't do the same mistake that many of us did.
Just get an one way ticket.

AlexanderH
17th Mar 2010, 12:19
Yes I've done that.

Last time I went to the states I had a B1/B2 visa and had a single ticket.

Cheers for all your help lads.

BigGrecian
17th Mar 2010, 12:24
copywrite33 post is invalid as the poster is asking about visas NOT visa waivers.

You are not required to have a return ticket booked if you hold a visa.

I would recommend booking a flight which is about a week after your intended leave date, you can always bring it forward, better than bumping it back multiple times if there are delays due weather.

BHenderson
17th Mar 2010, 21:17
BA charge £50 to change a flight. Still cheaper than two single tickets.

ego180
17th Mar 2010, 21:47
Buy the cheapest return with Aerlingus... and when you need to extend your stay look for the cheapest date ( avoid xmas and holydays ) ... I did it approx 1 year ago and paid just 20 or 30 dollars to change...

high flyer 13
19th Mar 2010, 01:42
i went to the states with a student visa and a one way ticket augest 08 emigration never asked a question.
its a good idea to get a one way ticket due to the fact you can never predict how long your going to be there with god knows what could go wrong from my experience it never goes to plan, then to change a return ticket costs a bomb !!
get great deals with all the american carriers with www.cheaptickets.com (http://www.cheaptickets.com) this is the crowd i use all the time, dublin to orlando think was something like 350 euro with continental.:ok: