PDA

View Full Version : HIV and JAR regulations

dc9sport
24th Feb 2001, 21:07
Just a short question: When you go for the class 1 examination are you then checked for HIV automaticaly. I ask as the JAR regulations state that HIV-positiveness disqualifies an applicant from getting the certificate.

[This message has been edited by dc9sport (edited 24 February 2001).]

ste_js
25th Feb 2001, 03:09
It is illegal for someone refuse employment on the basis you have HIV.

But this is the JAA!

Speedbird 2946
25th Feb 2001, 06:14
An interesting point raised here. No, the CAA will not test your blood for presence of the virus. The only blood they draw is from a pinprick and is used to calculate your cholesterol. To search for HIV would require further testing. Some individual airlines will make you see an in-house doctor before they employ you, and they may well take blood to test for blood disorders (anaemia, haemophilia etc) but I do not know if they actively screen for HIV.

ste_js raises a good point that it is not legal to not employ you on the basis of you having HIV. The JAA does have some quirks in its medical regulations but the HI virus is a major problem for one's immune system and at the end of the day, when lives are placed in a pilot's hands, you need the reassurance that the pilot in question meets very high medical standards and is not likely to become ill to the detriment of a flight. I, of course, understand that HIV does not strike you down from one day to the next, but maybe the JAA docs are focussed on the long term picture.

I wonder too what an airline's opinion would be if you told them you had HIV before you applied, or even still, after you were on the line...

Anyone else care to comment?

Cheers, SB

redsnail
26th Feb 2001, 06:46
The problem with someone being HIV positive isn't really their immune status, it is what happens before the illness develops into "full blown AIDS". One of the stages is a psychotic condition that occures before the full blown stage. Naturally this would not be good in a flight deck. It is nearly impossible to predict when this will happen and so many countries simply ban HIV positive people from holding an aircrew medical.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

mattince
26th Feb 2001, 20:56
The BA sponsorship scheme requires successful applicants to take an HIV test - I think this is the thing they mean when they mention having "higher medical standards than the CAA". They do spend about £100,000 on each trainee and need to make sure they will get a return on their training (i.e. a full flying career!).

I think this will probably take place more in the future as there is an increase in the shortage of pilots worldwide and sponsorship plays more of a role in employmnet/training.

It may be unfair, but it does make sense for employment of peronnel. The CAA/JAA should never include it in their medicals though!