PDA

View Full Version : ASIC changes

YPJT
15th Mar 2010, 01:15
A couple of changes as a result of the white paper are now, or are very close to being put in place.

An ASIC will now have a full 2 year validity rather than being backdated to the last day of the previous month that the security clearance was issued. In some cases, cards were losing up to six weeks by the time they were issued to the recipient.

ASIC security clearances are now portable from one issuing body to another. This means, if your employer supplied your ASIC and you had to hand it in upon termination of employment, the security clearance remains valid and another issuing body can issue a new card up to the maximum period of the clearance.

Obligations of holders is to be tightened especially for the disclosure of aviation security offences. Substanital penalties for non compliance.

Yes we don't necessarilly like them but they are here to stay and at least the department has listened to some of our concerns and implemented appropriate changes.

Biggles_in_Oz
15th Mar 2010, 21:12
I'd say that the more fundamental issues would not have been considered, such as ;
is an ASIC actually necessary at many non-primary-airports, or,
just how thorough the actual background checking is, or,
why the security 'checks' for an AVID are not suitable for an ASIC., or,
just how real are the threats from within the aviation and maritime sectors, or,
why isn't everybody who drives any motor vehicle also subjected to background ASIO checks, or,

pah.. a pox on the bureaurats protecting their empires and politicians for their knee-jerkiness.

YPJT
26th Mar 2010, 06:53
I just heard that apart from the positive changes to the ASIC regime, if there can be such a thing, there is a strong likelihood of the security clearances costing an extra $10.00 which will increase the cost to somewhere around $98 - $100. Add to that the printing and admin costs and you are looking at close to $200 per card.:mad:

kingRB
26th Mar 2010, 09:19
well its not through yet. Got taxed a month on the renewal I received last week.

neville_nobody
26th Mar 2010, 10:25
My big question is if aviation security is so important why has the whole ASIC process been farmed out to a private company, who actually hold all of our information. Why isn't the government the one who runs and holds the information?

Similarly if ASIC are so important why isn't it recognised for when you go for other types of security checks or passports and the like.

I suggest that in reality an ASIC card isn't worth the plastic it is printed on.

YPJT
26th Mar 2010, 10:36
kingRB, yes I thought they would have got their act together by now and made the changes to the validity dates. Approving little old ladies knitting needles on board was much more important. :rolleyes:

Neville-Nobody. The ASIC process was not farmed out to one private company. Only CASAs issuing body status as they proved beyond any doubt that they were totally incapable of effectively administering the process themselves. Every security controlled airport (one that has RPT services) in Australia as well as major airline operators and certain other industry participants is an issuing body for ASICs.

Why isn't it recognised? I believe it is something to do with approved documents of identification that have to be approved by legislation.

Not worth the plastic it's printed on? Probably not and definately not worth $180 - $200. I would suggest very few if any of the individuals that draft and enforce the regulations purchase their own ASICs. In fact I would go as far to say that those same individuals have no idea how much one actually costs. But let there be no doubt whatsoever that they here to stay and with tightening up on holders obligations under the act and regs.

Biggles_in_Oz
26th Mar 2010, 11:28
Yeah, it's all still a bit bizzare.
The identity requirements to get an AVID (never mind that they're the same as an ASIC or MSIC) are the same as those for a passport.
But can you use an AVID or ASIC as a primary document to, say, open a bank account ?
Hah ! You'll probably be arrested or reported for passing a fradulent document.
Nobody outside of the aviation or maritime industry has even heard of, let alone cares about, an ASIC or an MSIC.

I've been tempted at times to submit an AVID as a 'government issued' document just to see the reaction of the identity checker, but I decided that there are alternative and less stressfull avenues of 'fun'.

(I returned my one and only ASIC as a political protest, but the arsehole pollies will probably never know about that :mad:)

Pinky the pilot
26th Mar 2010, 11:35
FWIW, I was once asked by a SA Police Officer at a licence/registration/roadworthiness/etc roadblock if I had any other ID other than my Drivers Licence, so I produced my then current ASIC.

His comment was
''WTF is that?'':rolleyes:

He then waved me on.