PDA

View Full Version : Cattle prod

Scotch Bonnet
14th Mar 2010, 18:29
Apparently use of the Sensodyne C4000 Cattle prod has been cleared as of 1st April at RAF Shawbury on student pilots who need that little bit of extra persuasion to come up to standard during their stressful 45 minute sorties. Good to see this modern form of a good old fashioned beating returning, question is will we be allowed to sign them out for personal use? The Cattle prod that is....:ok:

GreenKnight121
14th Mar 2010, 20:47
Posting this a bit early, aren't you mate?

Scotch Bonnet
15th Mar 2010, 20:14
Dammit, my rolex needs a service....

27mm
16th Mar 2010, 10:24
Reminds me of one of our esteemed Gnat QFIs at Valley, who carried a nav ruler in his calf pocket; when the stood in the front made an error, as was frequently the case, said QFI would poke him in the back of the neck with the nav ruler......

SilsoeSid
16th Mar 2010, 16:08
..who carried a nav ruler in his calf pocket;

Must have been quite awkward getting anything from a calf pocket when he was sitting down. Perhaps it was around that time, when the Army started to wear flying suits and wanted access to the bottom leg pockets when in flight, that the suits were redesigned and the pocket moved around a bit.

Necessity the Mother of Invention and all that! ;)

Wwyvern
16th Mar 2010, 17:15
The Provost T1 (Piston Provost) had a crowbar slotted into the side of the right hand seat. My instructor would often break it out and use it to wop my head.

Fortunately, we had bonedomes.

Later, when instructing on Chipmunks, I had a stude who would always raise the nose of the aircraft when turning left. I was able to reach far enough forward to poke him sharply in the back of the neck when he did this. He developed a technique for left turns which included leaning forward. He couldn't escape the "reeling in" procedure, however, which meant my grabbing his R/T pigtail and pulling him close enough to give him an appropriate rattling.

stude101
16th Mar 2010, 17:20
I remember one instructor used to give you a smack around the head if you did something wrong, it scared the cr*p out of me the first time it happened as we were doing a circuit and I was looking in the opposite direction from him. I have no doubt it sharpened up my circuit technique as well as improving my lookout to watch for his backhand.

The same instructor once bet that he could fly a better circuit than me without using his hands. He then went on to fly one of the most accurate circuits I ever had ever seen using just trim and his knees!

Stude

rusty_monkey
16th Mar 2010, 18:03
You didn't teach down at No.1 AEF at manston did you? That brings back a lot of painful memories of my flying scholarship

Wander00
16th Mar 2010, 19:41
27mm - nav ruler - wasn't a NZ instructor, KBL, was it?

27mm
17th Mar 2010, 10:07
Hi Wander00, nope, it wasn't; he was a very tall guy by the name of R-- G-----n. We wondered how he ever fit in a Gnat in the first place. Strange times then, as we had Gnat QFIs whose names were colours - Messrs Black, Brown and Green were among them.

27mm
18th Mar 2010, 08:10
Some of the earlier replies reminded me of training on JPs at Linton. On every day except Wed, the circuit direction was left hand. A mate on my course had been given a practice flameout by his QFI and was well into the PFL procedure, going from High to low Key, concentrating hard on the pattern and FRC checks, when he felt the QFI writing something on his kneeboard - glancing at it, he saw one word: "Wednesday".:E