PDA

View Full Version : latin american operations

charlos
14th Mar 2010, 17:46
anybody out there involved with, or knowing of possible leads for working in latin america ? there dose'nt seem to be much talk about work down there, is it that there just is'nt much going on or is it that work permits are difficult to get or a language barrier or what ? i've been digging around a bit but its been slim pickins so far.
any ideas or conversation on it would be appreciated.
muchas gracious amigos.
ps. i'm an faa utility guy at about 5000 hrs with basic spanish skills.

verticalflight
14th Mar 2010, 18:51
Charlos

The main problem in Latin American countries is that, due to protectionism regulations, a basic requirement to get a local license is to be a national of that particular country.
Having said that every now and then you see ex pats working there after a local company sponsored them (bent the rules?).
Good luck,
Verticalflight

charlos
15th Mar 2010, 19:14
thanks vertical.
i suppose these protectionism regulations you refer to are country specific are they or is there any kind of governing body that they are together under ?
i would'nt think it would be practical for a country like say, guatemala to be using the same restrictions as one like brazil.
i read recently that there are more helicopters per capita in sao paulo than any other city in the world. even with that kind of activity i cant say i really hear of anybody going there to work. i understand though, as you maybe indirectly alluded to, if they can do it without foreign involvement they certainly and understandably will.
how about latin caribbean, any more likelihood there do you think ?
seems like there might be a little more foreign investment, per capita anyways, on some of those islands. maybe that could somehow bleed over into possible openings, i dont know.
as we've all said so many times, so much of where you find yourself working in this game is timing is'nt it.

Ascend Charlie
15th Mar 2010, 23:22
First of all, do you speak Latin?:ooh:

Gordy
15th Mar 2010, 23:40
anybody out there involved with, or knowing of possible leads for working in latin america

Yep---our sister company just sent their Huey to Mexico for fire contract--ours is on standby to go. We are currently staffed for the season, not sure about the other 4 companies involved in the contract.

charlos
16th Mar 2010, 01:25
great stuff gordy,
looks like they're gearing up good and early.
do you happen to know / would you be willing to say who the other 4 companies are ? pm me if you prefer.
certainly appreciate it....

Gordy
16th Mar 2010, 05:43
Helimax, Marble Mtn, Guardian USA, Air Lift and Redding Air Service.

charlos
16th Mar 2010, 17:56
hey right on, thanks gordy...

charlos
18th Mar 2010, 18:33
stay'in alive, stay'in alive...
i'm just keeping the thread alive. theres got to be more going on in latin america than there would appear from the forum. i hope.
ok heres an addition. what about firefighting in spain. that should be pretty busy every year. who's doing it, solamente las espaņolas ?

longtime lurker
18th Mar 2010, 18:38
ok heres an addition. what about firefighting in spain. that should be pretty busy every year. who's doing it, solo el espaņolas ?Fire fighting in Spain (http://www.pprune.org/spanish-forum/321272-fire-fighting-spain.html)

HTH

charlos
19th Mar 2010, 00:54
cheers longtime,
some interesting info there. somewhere along the way i had heard that some of the offshore operators in the persian gulf send some iron spainward for the fire season. not at all sure of that though.
anybody else out there know ?

charlos
20th Mar 2010, 18:21
how about offshore postions in latin america. anybody on here in the gas/oil business south of the 49th ? if so, where abouts and what are you flying ?
i'm wondering if thats a better way go about finding work down there...

charlos
23rd Mar 2010, 01:49
alright.
knock knock....