PDA

View Full Version : Rhetorical question - Airport security

DaHai
14th Mar 2010, 00:34
I suppose I can expect some "interesting" replies to this.

However, here is the question. I have just departed BNE to fly BNE/SYD/PVG. My wife asked me could she take a bottle of water on board out (BNE/SYD domestic flight). I said NO, they would take it off you at the X-ray security.

I was wrong, It seems on domestic you can take bottle of water, but once transferred to international you can not. Government regulation.

I asked the securtiy person, why the difference! She did not answer as apparently did not know.

So why the difference? Does anyone know the reason?

If it is to prevent terrorist activity, then why is within Australia OK, but out of Australia not OK?

dogcharlietree
14th Mar 2010, 00:45
A "rhetorical question" is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of a reply. No answer is expected. :ugh:

So none is given :ok:

End of thread.:D

Tempo
14th Mar 2010, 01:03
Quite simply...the world has gone mad with anything to do with Aviation. Unfortunately, Australia, has gone really really mad.

Worrals in the wilds
14th Mar 2010, 01:23
LAG screening only applies to international flights.
I think it was to prevent total revolution on the part of disgruntled pax and staff, but IIRC the official reason was that international flights are considered a greater security risk.

Subdivision 4.1.1A of the Aviation Transport Security Regulations will give you the legislation behind the madness.
ComLaw Legislative Instrument Compilations - Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005 (SLI 2005 No. 18) (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/449301F8B159596ACA2576A1001E2F43?OpenDocument)

Tempo's theory also has a lot of validity. Scary amounts of validity actually.

Pinky the pilot
14th Mar 2010, 06:42
Actually Worrals, I think Tempo is right on the mark really.:sad:

How you going BTW?

Diesel Fitter
14th Mar 2010, 08:36
IIRC the official reason was that international flights are considered a greater security risk.

Aren't we just doing whatever the (paranoid) Americans dictate?

nig&nog
14th Mar 2010, 09:06
DF

if we were following the Americans that would mean we could have pilots from other sister/approved companys in the jumpseat without anyone but the capt's approval. fat chance of that happening in Oz, we are unfortunately a million plus miles away from that.

nig not nog

Checkboard
14th Mar 2010, 11:04
International flights have to comply with the security agreements existing with those countries, if you don't follow procedures acceptable to the country of destination, they could close their borders to you.

Domestic flights don't have that problem. If a country thinks that a bottle of water isn't a threat, then an internal flight will be permitted to carry it.

harrowing
14th Mar 2010, 12:43
dct Touché