PDA

View Full Version : Irish businessman to circle globe in autogyro

Davey Emcee
12th Mar 2010, 17:33
Looks interesting. Words of wisdom in para 6 particularly so.

Irish businessman to circle globe in autogyro - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-businessman-to-circle-globe-in-autogyro-2097798.html)

Trans Lift
12th Mar 2010, 20:32
You can land this craft on a narrow drive and, unlike a helicopter, even if the engine fails the rotor blades keep rotating, so it is quite easy to land," he said.

I've landed a helicopter without an engine and I think the rotors kept spinning!:ugh:

"If I'm going to hit water, I will try to go in tail first. The rotor blades will snap off, and the machine will be like a canoe, except it will float for only a few minutes. Flying, I will have my left hand on the clutch, but if there is no engine I will have no clutch, so my left hand will reach under the seat for the lifeboat.

Interesting, I'd like to see that one!

Fair play though, should be a cool trip! Hope it goes well for him.

GYROX
13th Mar 2010, 15:37
misquotations in this report were not of my doing so to quote what I actually said at the time was:-

rotor blades keep autorotating (whereas a helo has to establish a state of autorotation)

it will float for only a few seconds (not minutes)

my left hand on the throttle (not clutch - what is this, a Formula One Car?)

my left hand will reach under the seat for the liferaft (not lifeboat - that would be on the Titanic)

Whether the tragic death of Martin Bromage was by "drowning" is surely still under investigation - I made no comment as to cause of death by drowning

"I have had extensive training in this" - in liferaft sea survival training, not ditching Autogyros...

True to say I am the 2nd Coxwain of an RNLI Trent Class lifeboat...

Hope this clears up the misrepresentations in this piece

Best Regards

Norman

biggles99
13th Mar 2010, 15:50
Enjoy your trip!

One bit of advice: don't get suckered into having to perform for the media and be pressured to fly when you don't want to.

And be prepared for a lot of admin hassle wherever you go. Let it wash over you, don't get wound up.

I was the first person to fly a piston helcopter (R44) from the UK to Australia (it was in 1999) and it still ranks as the best 6 weeks of my life, so far. And I can assure you it certainly was no easy task.

And yours, I think will be even harder.

Best of luck, and have fun.

EN48
13th Mar 2010, 16:05
Yes, enjoy the trip, and best wishes for success. But one nagging question: why? Seems quite irrrelevant in the 21st century.

Trans Lift
13th Mar 2010, 16:17
Why? I assume for the adventure. I think it will be an amazing one.

Best of luck on your trip. Fly safe!

Sir George Cayley
13th Mar 2010, 16:32
Once East of Rome, wear something akin to a uniform. It does seem to help.

Good luck.

Sir George Cayley

EN48
13th Mar 2010, 17:04
Why? I assume for the adventure

Oh, ... OK. I was assuming some possible higher purpose. I understand the lure of adventure - this is quite a large dose in one swoop! (no pun intended.) :ok:

Yellow & Blue Baron
20th Mar 2010, 13:08
How many fuel stops do you plan to make?

Dan Reno
20th Mar 2010, 18:46
What a challenge!

I read a journal of a man who flew a biplane accross and up & down Africa and he found the greatest help with natives came when he introduced himself as a "Doctor", usual of astronomy, psyciatry, philosophy & something else (rock gardening?) but never of medicine as the chap he took this idea from ran into a 'bad situation' at one village he landed at for the night. Anyways, natives (& most anyone) affix a lot of importance to anyone with a Doctor before their name as they think they have powerful ploitical and dagerous influence and of course are very knowledgable. Perhaps today you may get held for ransom so you may want to use this tip cautiously.

Best of luck !

Arnie Madsen
20th Mar 2010, 19:31
Thank you Norman (GYROX)

Absolute best wishes on your adventure. There is a gyrocopter forum who are discussing your plans and I am sure they would love to hear from you if you are able.

Thanks again for the update Norman , keep in touch.

GYROX
21st Mar 2010, 00:07
one nagging question: why? Seems quite irrrelevant in the 21st century.

Why - its the last "type" of powered aircraft that has still to fly around the globe - If you break down all aircraft into their basic type catergories based on their flight characteristics and capabilities then you end up with a very short list namely:-

Fixed Wing (3 axis)
Flex Wing (employing reverse control inputs than 3 axis)
Helicopter (airflow downwards through rotor)
Autogyro (airflow upwards through rotor)
Balloon (if heating the air up could be classed as "an engine")
Airship
Rocket

I can't think of any flying machine that doesn't fit into one of these 7 basic types or variants/hybrids of them - can anyone else extend the list?

(the only other form of powered flight I can think of is a powered parachute - but I don't suppose you could class a man hanging from a parachute as an "aircraft")

All these types have made it around the globe over the years apart from the humble autogyro - now in it's 87 year of flight - however rather than being seen as irrelevent in the 21st Century quite the opposite is true...

A Gyro burns about a third of the fuel that a similar sized light Helicopter uses (all that effort corkscrewing and clawing into the air all the time to keep airborne instead of floating along letting the airflow do the work) and so, as we are now approaching/passing peak oil production and fuel costs increase (along with Climate change issues) then, I submit, that the relatively fuel efficient Gyro could have a very bright future as it gradually replaces its more thirsty cousin for routine observation /survey /photography /search roles.

A circumnavigation seems the best way to re-establish the mostly forgotten capabilities and unique flight envelope that the Gyro has to offer a brave new "carbon rationed" world and to once more give it a useful purpose as it once had, back in its pre helicopter heyday of the 1930's

Ian Corrigible
13th Sep 2010, 12:48
Auto-gyro world bid called off
Loop (http://www.loop.aero/LPA2333/AUTO-GYRO+WORLD+BID+CALLED+OFF.aspx) 07 Sep 2010

Northern Ireland pilot Norman Surplus has called a halt to his attempt to be the first to fly an auto-gyro around the world. The reason is that the 'good weather window' to cross the Bering Straits between Russia and Alaska has closed, and the northern Pacific crossing is now in the grip of harsh winter conditions until Spring 2011. Norman will continue the flight then.

Norman said: "The various delays and associated adventures spanning half the globe during the 2010 northern hemisphere summer have meant we have had a very late arrival towards this gateway. We feel it wise to pause before committing to the 3-4 weeks that would be needed to successfully cross these northern latitudes and see the aircraft continue safely down into the relatively warmer climes through Alaska and northern Canada.

"The late spring restart will bring lengthening daylight and much more room for any subsequent delays (as I am sure there will be some - there always are!) or points of interest stop offs en-route. The timetable will once again fall into line with the original expedition timings (albeit one year later) which will allow for a late May Bering Sea transit, and an early July Atlantic Ocean crossing.

"Time then to pause and reflect on a fabulous 'First Half' played out over half the world's surface. GYROX [Norman's MT03 auto-gyro] has now flown a further straight line distance than any other autogyro in history. We have crossed 16 consecutive countries through 25 international airports and taken in the delights of 45 different airports of all shapes and sizes – from the 300m grass strip of Nong Prue, Thailand to the 3 active runways of King Abdulaziz (Jeddah) International, Saudi Arabia.

"So far we have made 7 major open water crossings of the Mediterranean, Red Sea, Gulf of Oman, Bay of Bengal, Gulf of Thailand, South China Sea and Sulu Sea. Forward planning continues during the winter season while GYROX is safely stabled for a well-earned rest ready to take on the milestones of next year."
I/C

bolkow
13th Sep 2010, 13:19
best of luck Norman, has the departure date been announced yet or have I missed it?

beebo
15th Sep 2010, 05:56
Hey Norman,
Best of luck for ya, when the wx clears! There was a Yankee through these parts a few months ago on the same challenge. Unfortunately he's been delayed a bit...so hopefully you'll push on past.
Cheers!