PDA

View Full Version : pacific blue

MAXX
12th Mar 2010, 14:51
Gday all

I have just recieved confirmation of an initial interview with Pacific blue, can anyone give me a heads up on the interview process and what to expect.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

MAXX

Ivan R Donn
12th Mar 2010, 22:17
Maxx, check your PMs.

IRD

MD_Attitude
13th Mar 2010, 03:39
Gday Max,

What was your total hours and experience did you have if you dont mind me asking ?Good luck with the interview process.Also, I have been updating my resume with them but still no luck at this stage.Got about 2200 hrs total and Turbine experience aswell.

MAXX
14th Mar 2010, 11:41
Hi, have 6500 plus hours with over 1300 hours jet time. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
MAXX

Ivan R Donn
15th Mar 2010, 22:41
The following is distilled from my experience with the interview process. In qualification, that was a couple of years ago and the ravages of time have not been kind with the specifics, however, as I understand it the general topics and conduct remain similar.

The interview is around an hour in duration and are conducted nowadays by a three person panel consisting of a VB HR representative and a couple of PB line drivers. I found it to be a pretty relaxed atmosphere where the aim appeared to be to get a feeling for you as an individual rather than an in depth oral examination. Questions on the following topics were asked:

- Aviation background and experience, as well as a chat about your personal circumstances; family, interests, hobbies etc.

- Motivation for employment with PB, why not other carriers? Bit of background knowledge of the company; structure, fleet, routes etc.

- Some discussion on technical subjects. I was asked questions on high speed flight/aerodynamics and runway factors (TORA, TODA, ASDA, climb segments etc.)

- Questions relating to PB's operations were also covered. I recall having a bit of a yarn about Oceanic procedures and my understanding of things like ETOPS, RVSM, and RNP. I was a little hazy on that stuff as it wasn't something I had done a lot of.

- Safety topics, incidents from flying and how I resolved them. Bit of CRM and conflict resolution, which was scenario based and explored how I would have dealt with the situation.

I hope that this has been of some help to those of you with interviews coming up. If there's anything else you'd like to know, ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Good luck...
IRD

minimum_wage
16th Mar 2010, 08:32
No change in the 2 years since either. That is pretty much how it still goes. There is about 5 sheets of tech stuff they can choose from to ask you.

And the minimum is as the website says. 2000 hrs. :ok:

MAXX
16th Mar 2010, 10:14
Thanks for the info, much appreciated:ok:

KRUSTY 34
16th Mar 2010, 11:10
So, what's the pay?

snakeslugger
16th Mar 2010, 20:39
KRUSTY 34So, what's the pay?

Approx....CAPT $155,000 and F/O $93,500 plus taxable/tax free allowances

KRUSTY 34
16th Mar 2010, 20:48
Thanks 'slugger.

Is that inclusive or exclusive of super? Is it in Kiwi dollars? What do the allowances add up to per year?

Thanks in advance.

Krusty.

porch monkey
16th Mar 2010, 21:16
Kiwi pesos, Krusty, no idea about the super situation tho.

snakeslugger
17th Mar 2010, 00:24
Yeah NZD, wish it was AUD. Super is via the NZ Kiwisaver...option for 2 and 4% which the company will match. Obviously the allowances depend on how much you work but i'd say about an extra $7000pa. It is called a DTA which is $4.50 for every hour you are away from your home base...if you start and stop at your home base in the one day then this is taxable, however if you are away on a 5 day trip then it is all free from tax. The only thing is...it really needs to be about $10/hr, it ain't cheap drinking hops in Vanuatu:ok:

Cheers

KRUSTY 34
17th Mar 2010, 02:32
Yeah hear ya 'slugger. We've got DTA where I work. Thanks for the info mate!

Dubaisurfer
19th Mar 2010, 17:59
I hear a healthy liking of whiskey was the flovour of one mgt member:E

MAXX
23rd Mar 2010, 07:29
Gday again all,

Just another quick one?

Can anyone tell me the name of the current chief pilot of Pacific Blue

Cheers

MAXX

Ivan R Donn
23rd Mar 2010, 07:54
Gidday Maxx, the heirarchy in descending order is:

CEO - Mark Pitt
Manager Aircraft Operations (Chief Pilot) - Steve Ackland
Fleet Operations Manager - Geoff Lowe
Boeing Fleet Manager - Andy Tasker

Good luck with your interview.

IRD

AerocatS2A
23rd Mar 2010, 08:08
Approx....CAPT $155,000 and F/O $93,500 plus taxable/tax free allowances
According to the recruitment website it is:

Level One: $80,500
Level Two: $91,500

for FO. It doesn't say what defines Level One and Level Two.

Ivan R Donn
23rd Mar 2010, 08:43
Level One used to be six months or 500hrs on line, effectively your probation period. Following a successful line check you went on to Level 2 pay.

IRD

macdonaldjames93
30th Apr 2010, 03:33
Hi Ivan R Donn,
Thanks for your posts I used some of it during the interview just find out this week from PB that Im in ...... thanks again
MJ:ok:

celco
1st May 2010, 02:36
Does anyone have a direct phone number for PB recruiting?
Thanks

minimum_wage
1st May 2010, 04:28
Anyone heard when there are going to be starts for guys in the hold pool?

thechap
1st May 2010, 07:25
Four guys on the command course as of next week as I understand it, so one would hope shortly therafter. Probably not much help, sorry.

bowing
2nd May 2010, 09:23
is that 4 F/Os upgraded to CMD within PB? any more interviews going on?

cheers

Capt_CheeseDick
2nd May 2010, 20:49
4 f/o upgrades? Doesn't look like it.
There's 2 pay scales in each f/o's and capt's salary.
Total DTA- not $7000, more around $3.5 now it's taxed.

Raropilot
3rd May 2010, 23:29
Any more interviews coming up? :}

Cypher
4th May 2010, 15:24
is that 4 F/Os upgraded to CMD within PB?

They just shafted the 4 F.Os that were coming up for command internally to take on direct entry captains from outside the company instead. :mad:

bowing
4th May 2010, 16:15
WOW Any reason behind this Cypher that you are aware of?

Ivan R Donn
5th May 2010, 23:16
PB - Yes.
VB - No idea.

rocketpocket
6th May 2010, 07:21
Hey Ivan,

You dont have an email address for anyone in H.R by any chance do you?? Feel free to PM me. Thanx.

bowing
11th May 2010, 10:55
anyone have any info when next pb interviews are or if any be scheduled ?

cheers:)

Redline
20th Feb 2011, 18:13
I was just having a look at the general conditions on the website.. it states PB crew can do up to 1000 hrs flight time a year..

Are they reaching these sort of figures in real life??

And around 10 night stops a month... normal?? Sensible quality of Hotac?

Thanks in advance..

Gate_15L
20th Feb 2011, 20:46
Most guys (sorry, no girls, they all left...) are doing anywhere from 750-850 hrs. On the odd occasion, someone has been flogged at was hitting 900-950 I believe..

HOTAC is okay IMHO. Although a hotel or two are getting changed in the next few weeks...

Others will say HOTAC is crap, but depends what your after..

9 to 11 overnights a month are normal. 10 of which might be in hotels, and 1 or 2 in the aircraft, cause your doing a redeye.....
There are very few day trip returns left in the sked, most are 3-4 day trips, with the occasional 5 dayer...
the longer trips are spaced out with 1-2 sectors a day, while the shorter trips can be more intense, with 2-3 sectors a day. Usually, the last sector will be a deadhead sector back to home base...