PDA

View Full Version : WOW

I16
12th Mar 2010, 09:21
All booked so hope its going to be as big and good as previous years..........

superdimona
12th Mar 2010, 09:31
I've heard it's going to be fantastic this year.

Arnold E
12th Mar 2010, 09:33
Ok, I'll bite, what are we on about????:confused:

Josh Cox
12th Mar 2010, 09:37
Wings over Wanaka ?.

Sqwark2000
12th Mar 2010, 09:40
WARBIRDS over Wanaka

I16
12th Mar 2010, 09:51
A real Zero - how good is that.........

Arnold E
12th Mar 2010, 11:05
Ok have been to Wanaka and I gotta say it was FANTASTIC:ok:
I have not heard about a GENUINE Zero, but if that is the case WOW:eek:
I thought that the only GENUINE Zero(complete) was owned by the Australian war memoriial

AerocatS2A
12th Mar 2010, 11:14
I'll be there too.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Mar 2010, 14:25
Last time, it was a REAL P-40 firing REAL guns - but using 'blanks' so no projectile - and that was very very nice.....They even sold some of the recovered cartridge cases later for some dosh!!

And the Corsair......and the Mustang......and all the other VERY nice aeroplanes.....

But.....the coupe de grace was ....IMHO.....the good ole' F-111 at Mach .9 at 300ft (or so) straight over the top.......I took notice!!

And, I'll be doin' it agin this Easter.....

Anybody for a beer or two???:ok::ok:

henry crun
12th Mar 2010, 19:22
Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow Latest News (http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/latest_news.html)

Konev
12th Mar 2010, 22:01
Will be certainly be heading over the hill for it, yet to decide by plane or car.

jcorney
13th Mar 2010, 00:00
I'm heading down, flying in to dunedin on the 30th then driving. Trying to arrange a flight in Queenstown on the way for a bit of a look around for the NZ based driver and myself.
should be a most excellent weekend and i think a pprune beer or 3 would be a good idea

Bastardos
13th Mar 2010, 00:26
Sadly, there will be no WWI presence there as the Omaka and Masterton collection will not be appearing. We also hear that the Corsair and P40 may not be appearing either?

Wanderin_dave
13th Mar 2010, 01:41
I'll be there, can't wait, been trying to make it for 10 years. I'll be at Melton next week as a bit of a warm up and over to Tyabb later in April as a chaser.

'tis the season!! :ok:

Konev
13th Mar 2010, 01:42
P40 and corsair are due to appear, they are on the scheduale.

P40 will be live fireing again.

Arnold E
13th Mar 2010, 09:29
Wanderin dave
When is Tyabb, wouldnt mind goin'

I16
13th Mar 2010, 10:28
Been to everyone since the first - great show and the best amphitheatre for an air show in the world.....

Wanderin_dave
13th Mar 2010, 20:21
April 18, Arnie.

M14_P
14th Mar 2010, 01:15
Yep always a great weekend, been to everyone since '94. Will be doing joy riding flights after the show as ever. Hope the weather is as good as it usually is.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Mar 2010, 03:54
YEP...
Last ime after the show, we were back 'in town' having a 'quiet one' by the lake, when THAT familiar P&W sound became louder, and there was the 'Cat' on a downwind leg for a landing on the lake...came in right over us on 'final', did a touch and go on the water, and climbed off into the 'dustance', the sound slowly fading into the mountains......LUVLY!!

:D:D:ok::ok:

Arnold E
14th Mar 2010, 04:08
Went for a ride in the Cat when I went over there. Was a bit of fun and I ran into the pilot of that particular flight a couple of years later at Point Cook. A group of the Kiwi Cat guys had come over when the Ozzie Cat turned up here. Interestingly, he said he only held a private licence

AerocatS2A
14th Mar 2010, 06:48
I flew a Tiger Moth in a formation fly-past at WOW once, I doubt I'll get a chance to do that again. I'd been to all of them up to and including 2000, but haven't been back since (for logistical reasons, not for any lack of interest.)

M14_P
14th Mar 2010, 08:49
Anyone else got any connections to the airshow in any way? Interesting topic btw, will we be graced with your presence again this year Slackie? Btw see you at YP later this week. :)

slackie
14th Mar 2010, 20:23
Yip...I'll be there again...'twill be my last year in charge of the tower at Wanaka...giving James a go. Have only missed 2 WOW - in '98 and '00 when each of my two kids were born:\

Nope...won't be at YP this year, only secured an alternative aircraft to fly at late notice so am doing the Nationals for waterski racing in AP instead...next year (as Arnie says) "I'll be back!".

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Mar 2010, 02:51
Hey Slackie,

Wot's the Wanaka TWR FREQ for the display??

Just so we can 'eavesdrop'......

Trojan1981
15th Mar 2010, 04:06
I would love to see that Zero! Wow looks like a great show:ok:, I wish I could go:(.
It is too bad they need to borrow our air force though. The Kiwis always seem to come up with unique, spectacular displays. The Skyhawks put on a great show in their day.

I16
16th Mar 2010, 11:49
Not wanting to rub it in but early Sunday morning the Cat does touch and goes on the mirror like surface of Lake Wanaka.
Everyone at our hotel is out on the decks with their first coffee just marvelling at the sight and sound..... only a few more sleeps to go :D

slackie
16th Mar 2010, 20:46
Sorry, don't give out the freqs as a rule (although it's not hard to find out!). A couple of years back we had some plonker in the crowd with his handheld radio that jammed the frequency during the arrival sequence on the Saturday...all you could hear on the frequency was the talking in the crowd around him (and the PA asking everyone to turn their hand held radios OFF)...gave us some pretty large headaches in the tower for about 5 minutes at the busiest time of the day and delayed at least 2 turbo props who opted to hold clear of the zone until the fiasco was sorted...and that is the LAST thing some of the formations want to hear in the middle of their sequences!!!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Mar 2010, 03:06
Thanks Slackie.

I have a RECEIVER only 'scanner', hand held, which would be no probs.....

Perfectly understandable....

Cheers. :ok::ok:

Konev
17th Mar 2010, 21:59
oh and a word of warning to those flying there, current QN info is 128.90 not 128.00

the twits didnt put that minor detail in the supplement for warbirds.

slackie
18th Mar 2010, 00:27
Excuse me...you're talking to the "twit" that prepared the supplement!!

conflict alert
18th Mar 2010, 02:40
Well you did call someone who inadvertently jammed their radio on at WOW a 'plonker' in your previous post, so you can't really take exception at being called a twit. What's good for the goose..........:E

Wombat35
18th Mar 2010, 02:48
I'll be there flying the DC3 and maybe a harvard or two...

Always a well run great event.

:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Mar 2010, 05:09
Well 'Wombat', we - two of us, self and No1 son - will just have to let you take us for a 'drive' around the lake....

Cheers:ok:

hillbillybob
18th Mar 2010, 05:36
and tickets acquired. had been a bit slack ordering the passes but trademe.co.nz didn't let me down.

Wombat35
18th Mar 2010, 07:00
Look forward to it, they are always great flights. We are also doing a shuttle to Queenstown and back everyday as well.

Cheers

Wombat

Konev
24th Mar 2010, 20:34
hahaha classic. did the supplement goto print before the 128.9 change came about?

could we worse, that info transmitter got cooked in a lightning storm the other night, QN been operating by aircraft to aircraft relay.

M14_P
25th Mar 2010, 08:59
The sight and sound of the cat in the morning over the lake sounds magic. Been over at Wanaka a fair bit lately, doing odd jobs - the grandstands all but setup now too. Jurgis' wee beast is already there uncrated with my fav (the yak 50!).

You missed a great week Slackie, but look forward to seeing you guys back next year. Marinka, Grant, Gavin and Simon will have their work cut out to get through the field next year - looking to be in the region of 25 pilots! There were 6 of us this year from the South Island, however at least a further 4-5 were all but confirmed, they are gunning for next year. Should be bringing three Pitts' with us from down here too which I am looking forward too. There is a certain Russian flavour emerging at Waipuk which is set to get even bigger, we must arrest this with more biplanes!

Cheers and if I see ya I'll say gidday - we'll be stooging around in some Tiger's after the show each day. :)

m14

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Mar 2010, 14:38
ONLY 4 more sleeps.........:ok::ok:

ARFOR
29th Mar 2010, 14:43
Lucky bugga's :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Mar 2010, 15:45
G'Day M14....

I'll be the little fat one with the RAC WA cap....
If ya see me wander past you, just yell....

And, we, self and son, will be hangin' around after the shows for a while as well....
'Tis only 40 years or so since I flew tigers - worth a look!

Cheers:ok::ok:

AerocatS2A
29th Mar 2010, 22:46
ONLY 4 more sleeps.........
You're sounding like my daughter. We're on a "Kangaroo" aeroplane then an "Orange Star" aeroplane bound for NZ today.

Sqwark2000
30th Mar 2010, 00:25
We're on a "Kangaroo" aeroplane then an "Orange Star" aeroplane bound for NZ today

Well you might just make it in time for the show traveling with One Star... but you're cutting it fine :ok:

S2K

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Mar 2010, 02:45
G'Day Mr 'A',

Well, hopefully to 'make sure'....
We're 'hopping' to SY tonight, then 'hopping' to QN direct tomorra, then hopefully the hire car will be awaiting, and then taking the 'scenic' drive via Cardrona to ...wots that place again..??

See Yas There!!

p.s. I hope i don't look like your daughter....or even WORSE....she don't look like moi....:eek: :ok::ok:

CougarNZ
30th Mar 2010, 03:02
Each day gets more interesting around Wanaka as more of the aircraft arrive and come out to practice.

Just had the Zero and local Harvard Idle past over head town.
And I am guessing it may have been Jurgis out for a little play earlier doing some impressive rolls tumbles etc out over the lake just in front town also.

Like This - Do That
30th Mar 2010, 03:09
Stop it. Stop it now. I haven't been since 2002.

Stop it :{:{:{:{:(

PS Does Muzza's still do a 'roast of the week' on Tuesday nights?

Aerozepplin
30th Mar 2010, 03:55
I was at the Wellington Aero Club open day over the weekend and it was like an aircraft strip tease. The Zero did a low pass behind its 750XL support on its way south, the Corsair sat silently, likewise the T-28. They were just wispering in my ear "there'll be lots of us flying at Wanka next week... lots of us flying at Wanaka next week..."

And the Catalina... oh my. The sun and sea made it briefly feel like being in the Pacific circa 1940 as it flew past.

Enjoy it you lucky buggers!

Aerohooligan
30th Mar 2010, 07:48
WOW...w#nk on watch...?

AerocatS2A
30th Mar 2010, 12:41
Griffo, we probably should've hopped all the way but the finance computer said "no". We've made it to chch now though. Hire car tomorrow then tekapo for a night then thingumywhatsit.

AirSic
1st Apr 2010, 11:29
Well...the Dc3 has 2 and the Zero... is!

Just kidding..

except that the zero has a P&W...not made in Japan!

What a day though. Can't wait for the next 3 days and bring on the F-18's. Pity about the F-111's but never mind.

Will one of the hornets be flown by WCDR Sleeman?:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Apr 2010, 09:01
Well, I do hope the flying program improves for the 'Real' part of the show over the next 2 days.....

I know today was only a 'practice' day, but there were plenty of gaps.

Our highlight of the day was a ride in the 'Cat', including a water landing on Lake Wanaka = 'speccy'......
Hey 'Wombat', I tried asking after you, but it was the 'wrong Dak', obviously....
(Only two of em, & he picks the wrong one....!!)

Don't forget the sunblock cream.......

Good work today 'Slackie'...hope you're busier tomorra......

Cheers:ok::ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Apr 2010, 08:11
MUCHO Busier today 'Slackie',

Hoping for more tomorra...

Those afternoon winds were handled well Mr Wombat.....

Its a GREAT event!!!:ok::ok:

frigatebird
3rd Apr 2010, 08:30
So where are all the photos..?

Konev
3rd Apr 2010, 09:40
photos?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Konev/WOW10/_DSC1957.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Konev/WOW10/_DSC2032.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Konev/WOW10/_DSC1960.jpg

slackie
7th Apr 2010, 08:14
Thursday/Friday are practice days. There are 1 hour "slots" where the airspace is closed for practice, interspersed with 1 hour periods where arrivals and departures are permitted (and practice is carried out beyond the aerodrome). Never meant to be a spectator day.

Saturday was unfortunately effected by the high winds and dust (and a less than effective Display Director!).

Sunday benefited from the overnight rain and more benign winds (even if it was from the east - quite rare).

Some valuable lessons have been learned by the organisers that will hopefully be applied to the next show...great to see they were already advertising 2012...even if I will have to pay to get there!!:eek:

hillbillybob
7th Apr 2010, 09:20
well I had a rockin good time, the Albatross was still flying around on monday morning when I left wanaka, will hopefully be back for 2012. Went over to queenstown on the thursday and got 1.2 hours mountain flying in with an instructor, had a ball, learned a lot and want to go back and do more flying next year

Wombat35
7th Apr 2010, 21:00
Well I've got to say it was GREAT...

9 full DC3 rides for me.... with lots of my Ozzie friends...

Flew a Harvard down ... got a go in the mock attack... I was the one with my smoke on all the time... (thought I could smell something :rolleyes:)

Then the best thing was leading a 4 ship back to Ardmore....

Great, Well run event for me!

Trojan1981
7th Apr 2010, 21:21
How was the Zero display?

Konev
8th Apr 2010, 01:18
this harvard?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Konev/WOW10/DSC_2429.jpg

rest of photos i grabbed can be found here.

GP Forums - WoW 2010 (http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/386449/?s)=

Wombat35
8th Apr 2010, 05:32
YEP :rolleyes:

I don't normally fly it and it's smoke system is slightly different....obviously :}

Oh well, at least no one was watching!!!!