PDA

View Full Version : Airline alliance joining criteria

Cheeser
12th Mar 2010, 00:33
Hi I am an aviation student (and full-time flight planner/ex-ATCA etc.)

I have a question, regarding joining criteria for an airline alliance (STAR/Oneworld/Skyteam).

I am interested in finding out more about the criteria that must be fulfilled by an airline before being accepted. These must be formally written down somewhere, and if there is a blank copy (i.e. one without any commercially sensitive information on it), I’d dearly like to see a copy.

Specific Q's:
- What are the joining criteria as applicable to the network, products, technology and other areas that would influence an airline’s choice of partner
- The audit process : how regularly do the auditors visit?, what areas do they audit, and what penalties / process is employed to police the areas audited.
- QSi – Quality Service Index. How does it work, and what is ‘fair share’
_ What are the recognised differences between the alliances?
- Geographical scope of the alliances – My assignment is likely to be based on a small Middle-Eastern airline that will have a network in Iraq (I do like to like tough assignments!) and I would like some advice on what alliance would be the best to select.

There it is.

Thank and Kind Regards – Nick D

tornadoken
12th Mar 2010, 09:48
There's no Application Form, no CV. Think would-be franchisee: the minnow operator of the asset (hotel, airline) fancies a hunk as revenue feeder, so suggests that the luster of gorilla's cluster would glow with moi: "this market is about to surge; the other lot are wooing me, but I like you". NewCo blags to cause busy (UA+LH; AA+BA; DL/NW+AF/KL) to notice his existence; maybe start with a half-decent pro-rate on his home miles of gorilla's long haul tariffs. Not yet exclusive, code-share; gorilla will discuss Team, Quality only after a couple of seasons' performance.
The "best" partner is the first one to show interest. Same way most spinsters become wives. Remember, alliance (marriage) is not intrinsically a good thing. Some, confident in their own skin, choose not to bother. Your thrust should be to build a good Local Service Provider; hunk(s) will then come a-wooing.

WHBM
12th Mar 2010, 13:21
The formation of alliances is entirely one of individual discussion among each set of airlines. There is no pre-determined crteria, and each carrier that has joined up has done so for a unique set of reasons.

These must be formally written down somewhereThe real world does not actually work like that.