PDA

View Full Version : Weighing chances up north.

Ixixly
11th Mar 2010, 06:33
Ok, so currently I hold a CPL and an MECIR with approx 270tt 16hrs of that being in a 206 and am weighing up my current options.

Currently my plan is to head to Darwin via Cairns and Townsville to see if theres anything I can get there and also will be definitely going through Katherine to try my luck as well.

I am fully aware of the situation in Kununurra and Broome so i'm not really looking for information there, what i'm looking for are peoples opinions of the Operators in Cairns and Townsville (and any others along that route, ie Mt Isa etc..) and whether you feel it is a worthwhile endevour heading through them or just cutting them out altogether.

I'm not terribly worried about time or money as I have both in sufficient amounts either course I take but if enough people in the know advise that Cairns or Townsville are not worth the hassle or even the visit then I may re-evaluate my route!

Oh and to clear things up, yes i'm driving there. Done the route from Brisbane to Darwin a few times and each time was done quickly so i'm looking to take it easy this time and give myself the best chance possible to get a first gig!

P.S Yes I know a few of you are going to spruke Kunnus and/or Broome still but I will really only consider those for maybe next year if nothing comes up by the time November comes round this year or if I got a really good vibe about a job there with my current experience.

Aerohooligan
11th Mar 2010, 07:50
Good luck man. You could make history as the first transvestite commercial pilot. :} Give us a call when you're in D-town. Not much happening here as yet, but there are rumblings. :ok:

Tempo
11th Mar 2010, 09:26
Sounds like you have done your research and have a plan.

Don't think too much about it.....just go.

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2010, 10:10
You could make history as the first transvestite commercial pilot.

I hope you're joking!

Ixixly
11th Mar 2010, 11:02
Aerohooligan is indeed joking, hes probably just making such a joke in the vain attempt i'll forget the $500 he owes me... :ok:

And thanks Tempo, your probably right!!

j3pipercub
11th Mar 2010, 21:31
Glass houses Aero, especially with a location of 'Somewhere over the Rainbow'. So what size Ruby slippers do you take Dorothy??

Mr. Hat
11th Mar 2010, 22:19
Ix, I did the Brisbane Cairns ect thing with your experience years ago and found it to largely to have been a wasted of money and time. You say you have enough of both so I say that it can't hurt to meet these people for future endeavours. Afterall in a year or two you may be back and will refer back to your notes re minimums names and who you met/didn't meet. You'll have a mental picture of what is available there having visited.

The other bit is that you never know when you may get lucky and walk into your first job on the east coast. Didn't happen to me but happens to others. If money and time were an issue i'd say don't bother.

Remember its the small places that noone wants to visit or live that will give you the best chance :stations, jabiru, oenpelli, ngukurr ect. You should consider broadening your net to the west coast as well. Not necessarily bme or knx (doesn't hurt to go there but don't get stuck waiting for years/months) but coastal towns and inland ****holes.

Good luck.

Aerohooligan
11th Mar 2010, 23:31
J3, Ix and I go back a few years so he knows I'm joking - it's just how we roll. ;) Should I ask where the Dark Side of the Moon is exactly (for the record I am old enough to know it's a Pink Floyd album :ok:)???

I take size 9 slippers J3 and Ix, I haven't forgotten. I couldn't possibly forget one more debt in the long list of debts that is a GA pilot's bank statement. :}

Ixixly
11th Mar 2010, 23:53
Yeah, tell me about it...got my first credit card the other day...i knew there was a reason why i avoided the bloody things!!

Good work dorothy, gonna make sure everyone knows thats your new nickname!!

j3pipercub
12th Mar 2010, 01:13
All good, knew it was in fun. And Ix, all debts are negated and cancelled if Aero helps you get a job (ergo don't go teasing him and calling him too much until he's helped you get the job... :))

Aerohooligan
12th Mar 2010, 08:19
J3, you are a wise man...wise indeed. :ok:

Pilotette
18th Mar 2010, 01:57
Hey Ix...what did you end up deciding and when you heading off?

Ixixly
18th Mar 2010, 04:57
Well, i'll be heading off this weekend on saturday morning up north to darwin along planned route!

unless someone has any hints on possible scenic jobs or something like that around the place!

Josh Cox
18th Mar 2010, 06:52
Ixixly,

There are certainly things you can do to help you into your first flying job.

All pilots have pilots licences (presumably), so to make yourself more competitive, what other skills could you have that an employer could be interested in ?.

Bus licence, Senior First Aid, presentable, able to speak in public to large groups, kick boxing :) (for a community based position), this is far from a complete list........

What skills do you have to find a generic job in town to keep you busy until your flying job does happen ?.

Try to keep Friday nights to yourself so you can find the correct watering hole to meet the guys/gals you'll hopefully be working with, this will help you a heap.

With 270tt, I'd reckon CS is not really a good option, Kununurra, Darwin etc etc are.

onezeroonethree
18th Mar 2010, 12:22
Try to keep Friday nights to yourself so you can find the correct watering hole to meet the guys/gals you'll hopefully be working with, this will help you a heap.

I've heard this a million times but for those of you who have done it - how exactly do you get about going to a bar on a friday night all alone like a loner because you're new in town and trying to "fit in" with a group of guys/gals you dont even know? Seems a tad difficult in a social sense!

Josh Cox
18th Mar 2010, 21:13
Worried about the competition Josh?

Am I that transparent ?:).

FRQ Charlie Bravo
18th Mar 2010, 22:48
Try to keep Friday nights to yourself so you can find the correct watering hole to meet the guys/gals you'll hopefully be working with, this will help you a heap. and how exactly do you get about going to a bar on a friday night all alone like a loner because you're new in town and trying to "fit in" with a group of guys/gals you dont even know? Seems a tad difficult in a social sense!There will always be a first day in town. If you know absolutely no one I suggest using the best social skills you're folks should have given you:

Identify the people you want to meet,
Introduce yourself,
ask for the standard details about them (who, what, where, when, why and how) then
shut up and take mental notes.

Don't bring up your own achievements that way you can have something new to say when you're asked about yourself.

All of these things are so much easier to do with a drink in your hands (even if it's not alcoholic).

Social functions are more than a way to relax, just see what Captain Lim has to say about Singapore Airlines' recruitment "Tea Party" here (http://www.askcaptainlim.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=254:singapore-airlines-interviewing-process&catid=53:aptitude-tests&Itemid=75).

FRQ CB

hardNfast
18th Mar 2010, 23:17
Get a job at the bar!

At least turning up by loner self will get you paid and the opportuinity to meet people. Throw a few free drinks here and there (mistaken order), or the occasional accidental over pour of spirits, and the boys and girls will remember you!

Most of these places have backpackers coming and going all the time so they are use to people only working for a short period of time.

j3pipercub
19th Mar 2010, 03:22
FFS, yeah cos a shot of spirits/schooner really costs the owner 7 bucks.

j3pipercub
19th Mar 2010, 03:32
Trent,

I'm not who you think I am, I have never worked on a cattle station...

j3

206greaser
19th Mar 2010, 13:00
Brace yourselves here comes my: Had to much to drink rant!

Seems to me people often say to guys/gals with anything over the bare license "head to Darwin." However, does anyone know any operators in Darwin who are currently taking anyone with low hours?? I don't! It's not 07 anymore! Darwin might be behind, but not that behind!

There does seem to be movement happening, but most Darwin noobs have the hours to back themselves.

Just an opinion.

I would love to hear from anyone who has got a job in Darwin in the last 6 months with low time (sub 500).

Cheers,
Greaser

Ixixly
19th Mar 2010, 13:14
I know a few of them myself 206greaser, it does happen and i'm in contact with a fair few of them. There are 3 main operators up there who will take on low hour pilots that have the right attitude!

206greaser
19th Mar 2010, 13:49
Hey Ixixly!

So to be clear you know personally of more than one pilot, who in the last 6 months got employed to operate aircraft in Darwin? Not YELD, YMGB, or YPGV, but YPDN? With less than 500 hours? Seriously?

These operators would be: Air Frontier. I'm surprised as they generally would send guys to the sticks before getting a chance in town!

Barrier. Hmmm maybe. Scenics don't normally need heaps of hours.

The third could be Chartair, or Av8, but i'd be shocked on both counts.

Anyway more power to 'em i say! Not meaning to be pr!ck, rather actually surprised!

Cheers,
Greaser

The Green Goblin
20th Mar 2010, 01:20
I agree, the only company you would have a crack at is Directair if you buy the ICUS package as part of your MECIR.

Aerohooligan
21st Mar 2010, 05:31
206, I won't say where, and Ix won't either if he knows what's good for him, but I was employed in Darwin with less than 500tt, as was my old housemate. I also know of another couple who got jobs in D-town with low time. Definitely we are the exception to the rule, but it does happen. Don't like Ix's chances much in this day and age though I'm afraid - it definitely is not like 07 anymore, as you say. :ok:

bogdantheturnipboy
21st Mar 2010, 10:43
There's really not enough transvestites in aviation. Most pilots are so boring

Ixixly
21st Mar 2010, 10:51
yeah yeah aero, don't worry, I wasn't going to say boo!! remember I am the smarter of the two of us!!

And really, it pretty much sucks no matter where you go...but at least theres a chance in Darwin and its a pretty fun town anywho!

Roxy_Chick_1989
12th May 2010, 07:28
Too all those who 'went north' this year, how did you go? Did you all succeed in getting the job?

Hot High Heavy
12th May 2010, 12:11
yeah i picked up something and i went up with less than 270tt and a few hours last minute 200 series time. I arrived early Apr and was expecting to be hunting around for months but got into the first place i tried. Was lucky though that that day, the CP was pulling his hair out as he was so busy.

Very very lucky and very very greatful... hopefully the work holds out now!

tarmac12
13th May 2010, 06:13
Went up to Darwin and Kununurra. Left Kununurra and still there were at least 20 guys there waiting and all had been there longer than me. The general word I got from CP's was that most of the guys who worked the dry last year have come back for another season so no need to put on new people. I went to Jabiru and Katherine also but they didn't want anyone with less than 300Hrs and no time on type.

I hope it improves next year as more and more people are getting CPL's and no one is hiring. The numbers up north will be even worse if we don't get some movement soon!

Unusual-Attitude
13th May 2010, 22:20
I seriously wouldn't bother with cairns with anything less than 1000tt.

I was trying to help a friend out recently up here who had a Gr 1 and 1800tt and still couldn't get in anywhere!

And what with GAM shutting it's Cairns base, and not all the guys wanting to head off south to stay in the company, they'll be picked up first by local operators I'm sure.

BlackbirdSR71
19th May 2010, 17:53
Hello fellow aviation enthusiasts,

I appologise for bringing up this thread again but I have a few questions for those who have made the trip up 'north', past and present. When would it be the 'prime' time to move to Kunnus, Jabiru, Broome etc? I good friend of mine, who had worked in Kunnus advised me that you shouldn't get up there any later than Easter to be in a good chance of getting employed.

The reason why I ask is because I have heard that there are STILL 'fresh' CPL holders making the pilgrimage in May, and the hiring month. Is it too late for me to head up? Like I said, my friend said no later than Easter but there was a loss of a family member so I decided to delay my trip up to be with my family.

My friend also advised me that what the operators tend to do at entry level is hire those who have been in town the longest, assuming the have enough hours, do well in the interview etc. They don't like to see applicant move up from the big city when it's time but like to see those who have 'toughed' it out. I'm not exactly sure if this is the case but it's what I have heard, so don't grill me. :}

I'm just sussing out if I'm still in for a chance for this season or would I have to wait for the next. Either way, I'm in no rush.

Thanks in advance.

SR71.

Blueskymine
20th May 2010, 00:40
who had worked in Kunnus advised me that you shouldn't get up there any later than Easter to be in a good chance of getting employed

If you went to the same flying school as the CP and are one of the chosen few then rock up the day before the calls go out and you'll get a job :ugh:

The reason why I ask is because I have heard that there are STILL 'fresh' CPL holders making the pilgrimage in May, and the hiring month. Is it too late for me to head up? Like I said, my friend said no later than Easter

There are, but they have plenty of cold beer chilled in their chilly bins ready to dish out at the opportunistic chief pilots who enjoy the free ride at the back packers as often as they can. Usually these guys will get a check ride first and if they fail at one company it automatically gives them the right to a check ride at the opposition. This is especially the case if they have a furry logbook.

My friend also advised me that what the operators tend to do at entry level is hire those who have been in town the longest

This used to be the case. Now it's who can stand the sight of the CPs for the longest and dig their hand the deepest in his back pocket. This will entitle you to free lifts in the bus at least.

onezeroonethree
20th May 2010, 01:23
...they have plenty of cold beer chilled in their chilly bins...

IT'S AN ESKY! :ugh:

Blueskymine
20th May 2010, 02:42
Quote:
...they have plenty of cold beer chilled in their chilly bins...
IT'S AN ESKY!

Do you call a shoe a shoe or a Nike?

An Esky is a brand, a chilly bin describes an object. While the Kiwis are not the smartest bunch on the planet they certainly are practical. And practically speaking an Esky is a type of chilly bin :ok:

Now a chully bun is another story :p

D-J
20th May 2010, 09:43
This is especially the case if they have a furry logbook.

Does this mean written on the back of a sheep? :E

mattyj
20th May 2010, 11:30
When you're in a new culture, use the terminology of the locals, in Australia its an ESKY! but when you're in Darwin its a CHILLY BIN...jeez guys, welcome to New Zealand already!!

BlackbirdSR71
23rd May 2010, 11:35
Thanks for the reply guys. Might have to give it a miss till next year then.

Are there any CPs from entry-level operators that want to shed some light on how hiring works?

Thanks again.

SR71.