PDA

View Full Version : VFR Approach Points

Curare
11th Mar 2010, 06:16
When intending to enter and request clearance into class D airspace, do you have to plan your entry to track directly over the numerous VFR approach points or can you call ATC and say for example "5 mile south east of XYZ approach point"

Jabawocky
11th Mar 2010, 06:35
PPRuNe must have picked up about 20 newbies this week from the flying school brigade. There has to have been a marketing campaign! :}

You can enter a D zone from any direction although if transiting a place like YBMC or YBSU as its about to be known and travelling coastal for example it makes life easier than if you wanted to use some unusual course.

If you have a plan in the system even VFR, you will be processed easier I would imagine, and report inbound at whatever height on whatever radial (thats opposite your track ;)) received the ATIS and request a clearance for whatever. Should work just fine.

Is this a bait for a GAAP v new D???? Sounds like it!:suspect:

J:ok:

Pilotette
11th Mar 2010, 06:48
Jaba I was just thinking the same thing re the newbies...I like how they all have signs advertising it too!

Is this a bait for a GAAP v new D???? Sounds like it!

You're such a stirrer ;)

Jabawocky
11th Mar 2010, 10:49
You gotta be kidding me girly! :ok:

J:}

89 steps to heaven
11th Mar 2010, 11:29
No standard entry points for Class D control zones. However following a few easy guidelines will help everyone. Call the Tower at least 5 minutes before controlled airspace boundary. Make your initial call in the form:

xx Tower, ABC with inbound / transit details ( whichever is applicable)

This gives the controller time to get the correct colour strip, start thinking about where you will be in the traffic pattern and finish up any other item that they are doing. Just because there is not anything on the radio it does not mean the controller is not busy with other tasks.

When the Tower answers:

ABC, aircraft type, position, tracking, altitude, estimate and ATIS info received.

Helps us, helps you with keeping workload and radio transmissions to a minimum.

If you have any doubts and are intending to fly into a control zone, give the Tower a call and they will help with the best place to call inbound and procedures.

MakeItHappenCaptain
11th Mar 2010, 12:29
Or you could ask your instructor. That's what they're supposed to be telling you.:hmm: