PDA

View Full Version : RAF BRIDGNORTH-Mystery Base!

Pull what
10th Mar 2010, 19:33
Apart from what is on the internet, anyone know anything about this mystery RAF base?

It is said that Hitler was intending to use it as his flying base after capturing England.

It is said that the RAF brought damaged aircraft in,(one presumes by road) from Spitfires to Lancasters, and parked then around the base to make it look like an active airfield.

Can anyone shed any light on this training base that apparently never had any active runway(s)

harbourm
10th Mar 2010, 20:53
Not very secret in 1957 when I did my "square bashing "there. It was at that time one of the stations you did your initial training at.

Long since closed and demolished.

Harbourm

Pull what
10th Mar 2010, 21:54
The site is still there and the memories live on-care to share any with us?

l.garey
11th Mar 2010, 07:56
My only memory of Bridgnorth was being taken there in September 1956 while we were on ATC camp at Shawbury. The aim of the exercise: to use their 303 rifle range.
There are some photos of the range on RAF Bridgnorth modernstation (http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk/modernlist/modernstation.html)

Don't recall anything secret or mysterious.

Laurence

aviate1138
11th Mar 2010, 09:07
I was there in May 1959. National Service -get some in son - and the only thing we did apart from square bashing and peeling spuds/washing up etc was to count the days until our first leave. There were lots of talks about avoiding the "Wolverhampton Wanderers". At my tender age and a beautiful girl in Windsor I could not understand why anyone would want to dally with a Wanderer. Surely the dregs of the Hooker fraternity in that area. :rolleyes:

The best thing was a cup of tea and a wad in the Salvation Army. Ever since I have gladly put money into their hands. They made us feel human, never pushed religion and made us all feel like a family member.

Compton Basset and Locking were 5 star by comparison to Bridgenorth.

Then Benson and Sylt - better still.

National Service - Bring it back Now!

Cat.S
11th Mar 2010, 19:02
Was used during WW2 to give some basic infantry training to RAF pilots being posted to the Glider Pilot Regiment as Horsa jockeys (usually against their will!!)

Pull what
11th Mar 2010, 22:37
Wonder how many ended up down the road at Shobdon?

Atcham Tower
12th Mar 2010, 07:56
Going back to the original question :) , what is the source of this info that Hitler intended to use a non-airfield site as his flying base?! Sounds like total rubbish to me ...

forget
12th Mar 2010, 08:08
True.

Hitler wanted sleepy Bridgnorth to be Nazi HQ after the invasion of Britain - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4195939/Hitler-wanted-sleepy-Bridgnorth-to-be-Nazi-HQ-after-the-invasion-of-Britain.html)

Takes me back a bit - 1961, bottom right. :hmm: Looking like an orang utan.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/BRIDGNORTH21961.jpg

Pull what
12th Mar 2010, 11:37
Going back to the original question , what is the source of this info that Hitler intended to use a non-airfield site as his flying base?! Sounds like total rubbish to me ...

Perhaps you have been on here too long?

What fascinates me is why they went to the bother of putting damaged aircraft on the base to make it look like it was an active airfield.

PS
Ronnie Corbett and Des O'Connor trained there!

Hugh Spencer
12th Mar 2010, 12:53
I was posted there from the Aircrew Reception Centre at St John's Wood to carry out my initial training (ITW) in 1943. No airfield then, as far as I can remember.

papajuliet
12th Mar 2010, 13:25
It's nonsense to suggest that there was anything mysterious about RAF Bridgnorth. There was no airfield there. It was always a training station. There just might have been a few unserviceable airframes there for instructional purposes but that's all.A Google search [ which I haven't bothered to do ] will,surely, give details.

Pull what
12th Mar 2010, 15:09
It's nonsense to suggest that there was anything mysterious about RAF Bridgnorth. There was no airfield there. It was always a training station. There just might have been a few unserviceable airframes there for instructional purposes but that's all.A Google search [ which I haven't bothered to do ] will,surely, give details.

Sorry, are you trying to participate in this thread or just shew us a side of your character you are not obviously aware of?

It is said that Hitler was intending to use it as his flying base after capturing England.

It is said that the RAF brought damaged aircraft in,(one presumes by road) from Spitfires to Lancasters, and parked then around the base to make it look like an active airfield.

Both of the above quotes are from Google sources, one, as we can see from one of the posts above seems to be have some truth about it.

However Google isnt the best source of information for many things, books and peoples memories are-that's why I posted on here.

The locals still know the site as Bridgnorth Airfield which may lend to the story or not, that is what I am trying to find out?

Yes, they may well have been instructional airframes but until someone says that with some authority, rather than speculation, we won't know, will we?

As Bridgnorth was a training station most personel would have only spent a short time there, so no one person is going to probably come up with a definitive answer.

PS -FORGET-Thank you very much for that information and picture.

papajuliet
12th Mar 2010, 15:38
What a very strange response Pull what.
Try and obtain the book "Memories of Royal Air Force Bridgnorth by C.F.Gwilt published by Bridgnorth Publications & Design in 1998. That'll tell you all you want to know.

Pull what
12th Mar 2010, 15:49
Thanks for that-see its nice to be nice isnt it?

This is from a site on Google--

RAF Bridgnorth (http://www.bridgnorthguide.info/raf_bridgnorth/index.shtml)

The W.A.A.F. training ended in September 1942 and the camp started in training the R.A.F. again in September 25, 1942. Because Stanmore didn’t have any runways and yet wanted to project the idea that they were an air force station, they would bring in disabled planes on flatbed lorries to set about the grounds, thus making it appear as if they were really an airfield.

Double Zero
12th Mar 2010, 16:08
BAe Wart on has been doing that for years !

Atcham Tower
12th Mar 2010, 18:07
That Telegraph report makes the assumption that Bridgnorth had an "air base" nearby, rather than a RAF ground training camp. Halfpenny Green, only a few miles further away, was and still is the nearest proper airfield. Put in that context, the choice of Bridgnorth town as an HQ was not unreasonable.

papajuliet
12th Mar 2010, 18:21
Pull what - if you believe that Google extract, you'll believe anything.

Fitter2
13th Mar 2010, 16:38
Nothing mysterious at all about Bridgenorth in October 1960. (apart from why they might have let me loose with a Lee-Enfield, as well as a Bren. I would be hard pressed to field strip a Bren now without a bit of guidance.
http://i41.tinypic.com/9uluuc.jpg

The only aircraft in evidence was a rather sad looking Spitfire on the edge of the parade ground to remind us which service we were in. The last few RAF National Service entry were mixed in with those of us silly enough (too young for the call-up) to want to be there.

Air Radar at Yatesbury was much more entertaining, although the wooden huts were equally draughty, and not quite so well polished.

Exnomad
13th Mar 2010, 17:30
My only visit to this station was at 2000 ft as a turning point on a cross country in a Chipmunk in 1952. I did manage a stall turn as a means of turning around to retrace, but I do not think anyone noticed.

REF
15th Mar 2010, 08:00
There are some photos of Bridgenorth HERE (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?t=4112&highlight=bridgnorth) too.

GQ2
27th Apr 2011, 23:05
As far as I know, the only mystery about RAF Bridgnorth was why they bothered to build a hangar there at all, unless they planned to build an airfield, but just never got around to it. However, it does remind me of something I was told many years ago by a guy who used to fly Lysanders out of Shobdon during the war, tugging gliders I think. Apparently, he was flying in the local area when he saw a kite land below in open fields where he knew there not to be any airfield. The a/c (A Proctor I think.) was bustled away into a barn and men proceeded to drag across some sort of mobile hedge sections to hide the strip where the a/c had landed. All very cloak & dagger. Given the times, he didn't think it prudent at the time to ask questions. I think it was somewhere between Shobdon and Hereford, but not Madely. So, yes, there certainly were a few mysteries about....:)

Tankertrashnav
28th Apr 2011, 08:12
Very smart, Fitter Two. Pity you ended up on radar, if you'd worked hard looks like you'd have made a very creditable rockape and you'd still be able to strip a bren ;)

chevvron
28th Apr 2011, 09:13
Isn't Cosford fairly close to Bridgnorth too?
Hereford was another RAF station with with hangars but no official airfield, althbough when I was there for ATC camp in '84, the 'playing fields' south of the hangars could easily have taken a Chipmunk (or Proctor?)
Amended in line with dakks remarks.

dakkg651
28th Apr 2011, 10:15
Cosford still is close to Bridgnorth (please note no 'e').

The original RAFGSA there was named RAF Bridgnorth Gliding Club because it was formed by serving personnel from Bridgnorth. They, of course, didn't have their own airfield.

Pull what

I was surprised by your reaction to Atcham Tower and papajuliet.

Sort of attitude best kept for Jet Blast I think. :=

chevvron
28th Apr 2011, 11:04
My older brother went to Cosford in '60/'61 as a Boy Entrant to train as an Air Radar Mechanic - so what's wrong with Air Radar Mechanics?! - (No 44 Entry); when he became ill, I'm sure he went to hospital in Bridgnorth as well as Cosford's own hospital.

dakkg651
28th Apr 2011, 11:38
Ah! Cosford Hospital.

A collection of old wooden huts which to some young aviators could only be described as a target rich environment.

The only place I actually looked forward to having an aircrew medical. :ok:

Lot of failures due to high blood pressure though. :rolleyes:

radar101
28th Apr 2011, 20:11
Isn't Cosford fairly close to Bridgnorth too?

In late 60s / early 70s Bridgenorth quarters were used as overspill accommodation for Cosford.

Warmtoast
7th May 2011, 11:49
It was no mystery air-base when I was there in 1951. See photo below.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Bridgenorth%201951/RAFBridgenorth-EndofCoursephoto-10thMay1951.jpg

RAF Bridgenorth - End of Course Photo - May 1951

I was called up and joined the RAF on 30 March 1951 and was sent to 2 RU at Cardington to be kitted out. Four days later on the 4 April 1951 I arrived at No. 7 School of Recruit Training (RAF Bridgenorth) for six weeks of "square-bashing." This nearly end of square bashing photo is of 20 Flight, Hut 245 and is dated 10 May 1951. I'm second from right, top row.

Names signed on back:- Bert (Guy?), Charlie Ford, "Chopper" Hackett, "Pompey" Humble, Tony Hill, "Happy" Hopkins, John Horsewood, Peter Hain, "Choke" Hancox, B. Edwards, J.Forrest (Manchester), Jack Jackson, R. Gasgoyne, "Sailor" Humphreys, R. Gray, Mick Gannon, J. Dobson, "Gibly" Gibson and a couple of illegible signatures.
After 'passing out' we all went our different ways and never once during my RAF service or afterwards, did I meet up with any from this course. But the RAF in those days was enormous with world-wide commitments and the likelihood of meeting again was fairly remote - so it proved to be.

Rigga
8th May 2011, 22:48
The married Quarters were still in use, as a satellite of Cosford, until the late 80's / early 90's when they were sold off to the Local Council and many have now been purchased through the "Right To Buy" scheme.

I'm a Stourbridge lad who's best mate was once quartered there - and I still use the Caravan Site in the Old Manor grounds.

ColinB
9th May 2011, 08:05
My recollection is that Bridgnorth along with Wilmslow and West Kirby were Square Bashing Camps in the 1950s. This was where initial RAF intakes were sent for general basic training after induction and kitting out at Cardington.
I was at Wilmslow and they had no airfield in that area but they did have at least one large Drill Shed where drill training could take place in inclement weather. There was a need to pass out the courses on time.
The question is were they really aircraft hangars at Bridgnorth?

forget
9th May 2011, 08:20
The question is were there really aircraft hangars at Bridgnorth?

Yes. RAF Bridgnorth - Modern Station (http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk/modernlist/modernstation.html)

Heimdall
11th May 2011, 08:51
From my research I understand that RAF Bridgenorth was an airmens basic training unit and was briefly home to the combined RAF School of Flying Control in 1942-3, with the Ansons based at RAF Bobbingdon (later Halfpenny Green). Once additional accommodation was built at RAF Watchfield, the school moved there and remained there until 1950 when it moved to RAF Shawbury as the School of Air Traffic Control.

Heimdall

sisemen
11th May 2011, 15:07
Interesting on the course photo that the Cpl DI has no medals even though it is only 6 years after the end of WW2 but the 'recruit' next to him has!

Reminds me of my boy entrant course at Hereford in 63-65 where I saw an SAC on one of the adult clerk courses complete with pilot's wings and 2 rows of medals.

Warmtoast
11th May 2011, 19:18
sisemen

the Cpl DI has no medals even though it is only 6 years after the end of WW2 but the 'recruit' next to him has!

The recruit with medals ("Sailor" Humphrys) was an ex-RN sailor who having completed his naval service decided he'd try the RAF to see what it had to offer. For us sprogs he was a useful source of knowledge as to how to cope with the soul-destroying bull-$hit that emenated from the DI.

WT

ColinB
11th May 2011, 22:02
In the End of Course photograph no one is wearing a forage cap and as this group was inducted in very early 1951 when were they phased out?

forget
12th May 2011, 08:07
..... when were they phased out?

Take a look at the end of course pics here. You should be able to pin it down to the month.

RAF Bridgnorth. 1,000 photographs of basic training at the RAF School of Recruit Training Bridgnorth (http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk/peoplelist2/peoplelist2.html)

PS. Done it. In December 1949 there's a mix of forage and beret.
PPS. There's a mix in January 49 too. Needs some work. :bored:

ian16th
16th May 2011, 11:01
Siseman, the Cpl DI himself was likely to be a National Serviceman and also likely to have been an Acting Unpaid Cpl with a substantive rank of AC1 or LAC.

ColinB, Berets and forage caps were both worn for a period. I wore a forage cap in 1952.

ColinB
20th May 2011, 07:00
Ian, as you were issued with a forage cap in 1951, do you know when the practice ceased? I was inducted in early 1956 when they were not issued much to my regret. I thought they were so glamorous.

Rote 8
14th Jun 2011, 07:48
References to the planned use of RAF Bridgnorth as Hitler’s flying base in the event of a successful invasion are a confusion of a different but equally interesting story (at least for those who live in Bridgnorth). There is some documentary evidence to suggest that Hitler planned to make Apley Hall, a stately pile nearby his personal UK residence and base of operations had the invasion been completed successfully. I very much doubt that he would have had much interest in settling at RAF Bridgnorth. The nearest airfield is Halfpenny Green, just a few miles distant with Cosford a close second.

ShyTorque
14th Jun 2011, 23:06
I'm not sure about the "Hitler HQ" story.

I spent much of my RAF time on a piece of elastic attached to another well known station where they had a similar but more plausible claim. Having given many a "station brief" to official visitors, I hadn't forgotten after 17 years or so:

RAF Odiham - History (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafodiham/aboutus/history.cfm)

Taphappy
10th Jan 2014, 21:08
Came across this thread accidentally. I was posted there in 1944 as U/T aircrew to do my ITW course. I was only there for 3 months but saw no sign of any aircraft.
The only things relating to an aircraft were a few gun turrets which were used to give training on the ground to prospective air gunners.

Bill Macgillivray
11th Jan 2014, 20:41
It is now a very pleasant country park. The only remains of RAF occupation is the brick chimney of what was (IF I remember correctly) No. 3 cookhouse !! This has been made into a very acceptable memorial to all who passed through training here. If I was clever I could post some pictures of it (with RAF ensign and ATC banner). I'm not clever! Did leave there in 1956, however:ok::ok:

Bill

ricardian
12th Jan 2014, 04:27
Lots of information about RAF Bridgnorth here (http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk/indexinner.html)

irishgal
6th Jul 2015, 13:16
I just saw this thread. My Uncle was at Bridgnorth in June 1943. Would you happen to know if he would have went to an OTU after training in Bridgnorth? I have his records but no OTU is listed.

Robert Cooper
10th Jul 2015, 02:24
It certainly wasn't a "secret" base. My father did his square bashing there in 1941.

Bob C