PDA

View Full Version : Restricted NZ PPL

EKIT
10th Mar 2010, 16:04
I'm a British national and I recently gained a restricted PPL in New Zealand. To cut a long story short, I did an intensive PPL course but ran short of time and in the end my only option was to do the flight test without having done the cross country flying.

I thought it better to get the licence and add cross country later, rather than vice versa.

Regardless of whether this was a sound decision or not, bearing in mind this is an NZ licence, does anyone know if I have to return to NZ to get the cross country rating, or can I pretty much do it in any country?

Super Ord
10th Mar 2010, 17:05
G'day Ekit,

AC61-3 lays it all out for you. Basically, the 10 hours of cross country flying has a compulsery portion of dual instruction covering flying in and out of NZ CTR's, flight planning, weather etc, and then finally, your log book will need to becertified by your instructor.

So yes, this needs to be completed in NZ.

LocoDriver
10th Mar 2010, 21:49
Not only does the cross country part need to be certified by a flying instructor who conducted and supervised it, the cross country limitations need to be removed by a flight examiner.
(it is a licence endorsement, not a rating)

Most clubs/schools will have a consultant 'A' Category Instructor who holds a flight examiner rating, who can do this, it is quite simple.

Hope this helps.

:ok::ok:

EKIT
11th Mar 2010, 16:15
Many thanks to both Super Ord and LocoDriver for very helpful replies. So it looks like I'll be on my way back to NZ to do the cross country work, as soon as time and money permit.