PDA

View Full Version : Question on frequency changes

planemad_bk
9th Mar 2010, 12:22
Can anyone find the reference regarding the requirement to test any new radio frequency change with the squelch? I've looked in CAOs/CARs to no avail. If anyone can shed some light on where the reference might be it would be greatly appreciated.

triadic
9th Mar 2010, 13:10
Many new radios these days have an auto squelch and testing by adjustment is not possible - push a button maybe?. I don't recall it ever been a 'requirement', however once upon a time it was taught as an airmanship issue and was SOP when using HF.

Like many other things that were once taught under the heading of Airmanship it has probably been lost!

Capn Bloggs
9th Mar 2010, 22:07
Can anyone find the reference regarding the requirement to test any new radio frequency change with the squelch?
I've been flying for less time than Triadic but have never heard of that! :confused:

VH-XXX
9th Mar 2010, 22:55
I've been doing that since day one of my flying probably to the point of over-squelching (as in frequently), but I had a little bit of background of radios so I know there can be issues.

Didn't realise it was ever taught... and with the advent of auto-squelch I'd say many would not bother testing these days. When using the G430's I usually like to give the Volume two quick presses after changing to check the volume level- similar idea.

Anthill
10th Mar 2010, 01:02
This isn't really 'testing' with the squelsh, but on radios with a mnaual squelsh adjustment the correct procedure is to change frequency and adjust the SQ so as the white noise cuts out. This ensures that the radio is sensitive enough to recieve the optimum amount of transmissions without the pilot being subjected to unwanted noise.

Think of the squelsh function as being reception sensitivity. Much like GAIN on a wx radar.

Horatio Leafblower
10th Mar 2010, 01:27
Anthill if they don't understand squelch on a VHF Comm they ain't gonna understand Radar! :ugh:

Like many other things that were once taught under the heading of Airmanship it has probably been lost!

That's the heart of the matter I'd reckon :suspect:

VH-XXX
10th Mar 2010, 02:09
This isn't really 'testing' with the squelsh, but on radios with a mnaual squelsh adjustment the correct procedure is to change frequency and adjust the SQ so as the white noise cuts out.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't know what the squelch was.

There are probably few new radios out there with a manual squelch so the new breed of 150 hour commercial pilots won't know much about squelch and what it's used for.

Does anyone know if the squelch is user adjustable on the G430's or similar from the front interface?

Peter Fanelli
10th Mar 2010, 02:14
There are probably few new radios out there with a manual squelch so the new breed of 150 hour commercial pilots won't know much about squelch and what it's used for.

At the risk of offending the poor darlings it's apparent from many posts by these 150 wonders that they don't know jack about much at all.

Go ahead, flame away!

:hmm:

ForkTailedDrKiller
10th Mar 2010, 02:26
Can anyone find the reference regarding the requirement to test any new radio frequency change with the squelch?

For someone who has only been flying for 37 yrs, ......

...... PLEASE EXPLAIN !

I know a bit about squelch:

1) I turn it on to set the volume on a VHF radio.

2) I turn it on to pick up the ATIS on VHF much earlier than I would with it turned off.

3) I turn it on (and off) when asked by ATC to listen for an emergency beacon signal.

4) I use it on HF radios to get clearer reception than otherwise might be the case - maybe, or is that "Gain" ?? Haven't used a HF for a few years.

5) I use it on my ICOM handheld VHF to get the clearest reception (it is manually adjustable on that one).

.... but testing any new radio frequency change ??

There are probably few new radios out there with a manual squelch

?? Don't they all have manual squelch (?), just not adjustable squelch

Does anyone know if the squelch is user adjustable on the G430's or similar from the front interface?

Not as far as I know - and I figure I know a bit about the G430/530.

Dr :8

PS: If the young'uns dont't know about it - not their fault - they are not being taught !!!

VH-XXX
10th Mar 2010, 03:42
?? Don't they all have manual squelch (?), just not adjustable squelch

Yes.

My apologies for confusing "manual" with "adjustable."

Provided that the squelch is set about right there's no need for it to be adjustable - you just need to be able to turn it on and off (as in for your beacon or ATIS example).

Dances With Dingoes
15th Mar 2010, 06:56
Hey Planemad, long time no see,

Not sure where the rules are, never been real good on the books ;) but I can tell ya from experience testing the squelch regularly is a very good habit to get into. Not just to make sure you can hear ATC or other aircraft, but also to be sure to know that you do not have an open mike, especialy if like me you tend to have little 'sing songs' on those long lonely flights, saves lots of embarrassing moments when you get back to a crew room.

Pete Fanelli

At the risk of offending the poor darlings

None taken mate, I got a little over 300 hrs these days, and still building :ok:

DD

PS re, what the DrKiller said,,,,,,,,,,, I Concur :D

nightmode
15th Mar 2010, 16:30
If your radio has concentric MHz, kHz, and VOLUME knobs, it can be really easy to turn the volume down on some radios inadvertently (esp. some collins models).

Each time I change freq's I try to remember to press the squelch button to make sure the volume's still set right..... Hours of fun for the whole family :}