PDA

View Full Version : Should i bother ? Too little, too late ?

Lucky747
9th Mar 2010, 11:58
So i've spent the last couple of weeks reading this forum and wondering about life in the flying world.

I'm 26 years old and i have built about 45 hours on my PPL, im looking to hopefully finish it all in the summer. i've spent about 6000 pounds of money i've saved whilst working.

After reading all the posts about lack of jobs, i've been wondering, should i continue my normal job in the world of Aircraft Maintenance, which pays a normal yearly wage or should i push and continue my dream to become a commercial airline pilot.

So far i'm debt free, but is it worth living my dream ? Or just bite the bitter reality that seems to be.

I see that if i want to do my CPL it might take me about 4 years without being overidden with debt.

Just wondering what all you guys and girls out there think.

J

mirogster
9th Mar 2010, 15:20
Well such question seems to be for personal professional psychoanalytics. Instead of posting at internet forums. Also there're literally TONNES of such kind questions appearing - everyday. Just take a look at the appropriate threads.

I really feel sorry for moderators here.

Paolo
9th Mar 2010, 16:13
Luck747

Flying is still fantastic even though things have changed since I started commercially in 1999. I love the job (still) but it is frustrating to see what is going on right now. It is difficult to say what to do and I have a friend who has just qualified with is fresh CPL/IR and I could cry for him as I have said "now the hard work starts" When I qualified there were any number of airlines and jobs to apply for but now it seems a rather different place for the newly qualified pilot.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do

Paolo

AlphaMale
9th Mar 2010, 16:52
I guess you need to put yourself in a position where you either look back at 60 years old and think "I wish I had given my £40k fATPL a try - I'd love to have been a pilot" you could end up as a bitter 60 year old thinking "If I hadn't blown £40k on a silly fATPL licence back in 2010 I could have retired now" or you may be a 60 year old pilot looking back thinking the small £40k investment was worth every penny!

What to do is up to you.

Research this forum as you've done and keep up to date with the airline news and future plans. At the moment it's looking pretty grim, yet the schools like OAT are still churning out students with a shiny fATPL and 250hrs. The way I see it the airlines will never struggle to find a current fATPL applicant fresh from training :rolleyes:

kwb911
9th Mar 2010, 19:25
Lucky747,

You must have a typo somewhere because you post mentions you are 26 but your profile displays 34 (just happened to notice).

Bruce Wayne
9th Mar 2010, 19:43
lucky,

sounds like you are doing things the right way rather getting saddled with debt.

no one can make the decision for you.

one thing though, having an A&P as well as a commercial ticket will make you more attractive to exec jet operators.

go around flaps15
9th Mar 2010, 20:10
Complete your atpls via distance learning while hourbilding on a leisure DEBT FREE basis. Assess the job market when these requirements are completed. You have ample time to get your CPL/IR when the atpls are complete.

Hold onto that steady job that you have like your life depended on it.

You have the opportunity to gain an atpl on a slowly but surely basis. And while your doing it, you will be employed with minimum debt and instead of having perishable skills you will have skills that are slowly progressing and you will still have a job.

Aim to have your atpl by the time you are 28 or 29 perhaps.

Loads of time. Be patient. Not passionate.