PDA

View Full Version : Association

Taylor01
8th Mar 2010, 15:49
Just wondering if any one here has local knowledge of the laws about unions. Is it poosible to start an association if it is based in another country? I believe we have been screwed enough and it is time to do something. There are enough guys here that have worked for airlines that had some representaion, even if it is just having a lawyer on retainer to help if somethign goes wrong, like we know is coming with our schedules being packed and min days off. Or, has this been tried before, I have only been here 3.5 years, so maybe before I got here. I was just wondering. Thanks.

Marooned
8th Mar 2010, 16:08
If an association were to be formed it would have to be based offshore, perhaps in europe, where at least there is some rule of law and with it some protection. Perhaps the IPA in the UK could be approached to from the basis of a Middle East group?

In any case a web based group offering a secure registration process, single point of contact for career advice, CV services, medical/legal cover would be a step forward from where we are now. Even just the threat that the pilots could possibly organize themselves into an 'above ground' group with a professional structure & some resources behind them to represent their careers, their concerns and their aspirations would send a clear message to EK that their pilots should be taken seriously and certainly not for granted.

If we could unite ourselves under one umbrella, stop bickering amongst ourselves and put our energy into something more constructive by creating a body specifically representing us for example in EK we might at the very least get some some respect and even make some changes.

The career we have chosen has changed and we need to change with it. As ex-pats we are a disparate group and easily divided and therefore ruled. But we still have the love of flying in common and wherever we have come from we have mostly made sacrifices and worked hard to get here. Divided, as we are, we are easy fodder to a management intent on abusing the local laws and regulations to get the maximum out of us secure into he knowledge there is nothing we can do about it but 'leave'...but this is their weakness too.

The only time we have ever seen any change for the better is when there were pilots leaving and not enough with the right qualifications wanting to join. We have this situation now and we need to use the same stick to beat them with, that actually 'we don't like it and we can leave'. Make them less certain of their pilots, make them insecure and turn the tables. Let them know that we can organize and that as a group we have other options.

I know it sounds idealistic but it is possible and should have been done a long time ago. If we don't change and our only recourse for our frustrations and injustices is an occasional vent on PPRuNe then perhaps we deserve what we get. We have a choice.

Plank Cap
8th Mar 2010, 17:47
Marooned - well said. The key to this is to stand together and politely remind our lords and masters that you don't have much of an airline operation when certain key groups of employees no longer choose to play ball.

My fear is that as a group we are too good at bickering amongst ourselves and not dealing with the real issues that trouble us. The reality is of course that the job is 'all things to all men', meaning for example how a Year 15 Captain views life here will not be the same as a Year 2 First Officer. But just imagine the effect of 2250 pilots all pressing 2 on the same day............. What are they going to do - fire everybody?

Marooned
9th Mar 2010, 01:35
I agree that it would be easy and self defeating if such an association would become just another bickering forum. That is why it should not be a forum but an association with a clear set of objectives stated in a manifesto.