Frank Arouet
7th Mar 2010, 21:03
As a strong rumour from within the organisation has it.:ok:

Jabawocky
7th Mar 2010, 21:10
Post of the Year Award goes to you Frank if its true! :D:D

chimbu warrior
7th Mar 2010, 21:17
If it id a decent ASD, then fantastic, but we do not need more of the current Flight safety magazine.

Under Mac Job the ASD was an excellent informative magazine, from which all pilots learned something.

The current offering rates slightly below Women's Weekly and New Idea in terms of the contribution it makes to aviation safety.

Arm out the window
7th Mar 2010, 22:08
Hooray...one good 'there I was' story beats a thousand statistical reports with dodgy graphics any day.
They've sucked any semblance of life out of the current publication, so let's hope they can resurrect it into something useful and fun to read.

VH-XXX
7th Mar 2010, 23:38
I wouldn't call the other forum from which you got this information "within the organisation."

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Mar 2010, 00:36
Much will depend on who is responsible for production of a "new" crash comic.

Dr :8

Frank Arouet
8th Mar 2010, 04:14
I wouldn't call the other forum from which you got this information "within the organisation."

Is Martin Dolan not the Chief Commissioner of that organisation?

It was reported on another forum that upon questioning, Martin Dolan made the statement and from that I have sent the following;

"It has recently been reported that Mr Martin Dolan, Chief Commissioner, has announced the ATSB will either ressurect or reintroduce in similar format the "Aviation Safety Digest" that was so popular and informative some years ago.

If this can be confirmed many will welcome the initiative and I ask simply can you confirm or deny this claim?

Yours in anticipation"

I hope this meets with your approval VH XXX!:bored:

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Mar 2010, 05:41
"It has recently been reported that Mr Martin Dolan, Chief Commissioner, has announced the ATSB will either ressurect or reintroduce in similar format the "Aviation Safety Digest" that was so popular and informative some years ago.

I would not have thought that producing a Crash Comic type of publication was in the ATSBs brief!

But then, what would I know!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Mar 2010, 07:03
Well, IF it is trooo....BRING IT ON!

I find the current 'Women's Weekly' fairly 'trite'....is that a word?
They will be hard pressed to equal Mr Job.......

Cheers

Pseudonymn
8th Mar 2010, 07:34
Speaking of 'crash comics' :suspect:

Air safety report lists 70 malfunctions (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/air-safety-report-lists-70-malfunctions-20100307-pqql.html)

Apologies if the link has been posted elsewhere

Pinky the pilot
8th Mar 2010, 07:48
What Griffo said!!:ok::ok:

Does anyone actually know why the old and much respected ASD got binned?:confused:

Doing so was IMHO the dumbest thing ever done by the Regulatory Authority.:mad:

chainsaw
8th Mar 2010, 07:55
FTDK: I would not have thought that producing a Crash Comic type of publication was in the ATSBs brief!

But then, what would I know! :8

The ATSB's function is to improve safety and public confidence in the aviation...mode[s] of transport through excellence in:

•independent investigation of transport accidents and other safety occurrences;
•safety data recording, analysis and research; and
•fostering safety awareness, knowledge and action.

Source: About the ATSB (http://www.atsb.gov.au/about_atsb/about.aspx)

Wanna start eating your hat now FTDK? :E

PS: See http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/342921-old-aviation-safety-digests-versus-flight-safety-australia-vive-la-difference.html

Lot's of good information about the ASD that's been the topic of a previous thread here on PPRuNe. :ok:

The ASD also won the prestigious FSF Cecil A. Brownlow Publication Award in 1972. So yes, pinky, I reckon it was pretty dumb for it to have been 'discontinued' by whoever decided to do it. :{

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Mar 2010, 08:47
Wanna start eating your hat now FTDK? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Nah, I'll wait until after I have read the first edition of a NSTB produced "Crash Comic".

Fortunately I have a straw hat - maybe a bit tough and dry but better than felt to chew on!

Frank Arouet
9th Mar 2010, 06:48
Thanks for the email.

The ATSB will shortly conduct a formal review of our communications approach to ensure we continue to use the most effective channels and products to reach our relevant audience base. During this review, we’ll be selecting a sample of major stakeholders to gauge their preferences on how they receive ATSB communications (e.g. through publications, web or face-to-face).

While I’m not aware of any formal decision to reintroduce the Aviation Safety Digest, we will consider and assess all ideas and preferences from stakeholders in the context of our business requirements and budget allocation.

I thank you for your feedback and will include your suggestion in the review process.

Please feel free to call if you would like to discuss.

Regards................

Frank Arouet
9th Mar 2010, 06:54
You all know what to do now don't you?:ok: